Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Sink Drain Culk

I have a 2011 26BH and recently the culk or silicone (I'm not sure what they used) in the kitchen sinks seems to have gone soft. It's now really sticky and actually comes off onto some of the dishes.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? I think a visit to the dealer may be in order once the season is done!

Pete

2004 F150 S/C XTR
2004 12' Starcraft Tent Trailer
2011 Jayco 26BH
VE9PTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #2

Yes we have had the same issues and have placed sink mats to keep it off of the dishes talked to dealer with no results yet.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

Is it an off white color? If so, mine is starting to ooze out too.
Has yours started to leak? Mine hasn't, but I need to start watching it I guess.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! I guess we're not alone.

Its a grayish color, but I can't honestly say what color it was originally or if you could even see it before.

2004 F150 S/C XTR
2004 12' Starcraft Tent Trailer
2011 Jayco 26BH
VE9PTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

I have the same problem with the sticky putty oozing out and getting all over everything. I don't know what they used, but it's not regular plumbers putty. I'm thinking about disassembling mine, cleaning out the sticky stuff and resealing the drains with real plumbers putty.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

We have the same problem with the sticky grey putty around the kitchen sink drain. For us, it's been that way from day one (in the spring). I pondered why they would use that material, and the only thing I can come up with, is perhaps it stands up to road vibration better than regular plumbers putty.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

It's is like plumbers putty, it is used extensively in the unit.
I think it is a butyl tape
I "peeled" the excess off of my sink drains, dry finger the rub it off. Keep working at it eventually it will look decent.
The stuff turns black, due to dirt sticking to it. It is used on the outside where the side walls meet the front and back ends.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

Take the drain apart, clean off all of the butyl stuff, clean the surface with alcohol and put it back together using real plumber's putty. It's less than $2 at Home Depot and cheaper than a drive back to the dealer. They'll just redo it with the same cheap stuff. While you're at it, redo the bathroom sink and the shower drain if you can get to it. I doubt there is anything but bare wood under the shower.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

We have the same grey putty oozing out on ours. I noticed it more after using hot water. I'm guessing it's excess putty they used during assembly. It is sticky and does get all over the dishes if you let them touch it.

I planned to scrape away the excess with something that wont damage the sink. I do not plan to take apart the drain to get rid of it, unless the wife puts enough "pressure" on me to do it. I don't think it's a major issue, just an annoyance....

Rest assured you are not alone and I don't think it's worth your time going to the dealer unless you just wanted it documented... But I don't think it will cause you future troubles.

Mike
heppdj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #10

I noticed the same with mine and thought , would they really use butyl tape. I scraped mine off and tightened the collar under the sink and it hasn't been a problem.
Has anyone bought or used the new drain attachment that replaces the p trap under your sink? It frees up space under the sink so you can get at the pots stored in the back behind all the plumbing. They advertise in Trailer Life and thought it would be a great mod. Also have any of you finished the cutlery drawers under the sink. I found it odd they were left unfinished. Just don't know if I want to stain them cherry and varnish them or paint them white. Leaning towards the white.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #11

I have the same sticky putty in my kitchen sink, I found it the day after tt was delivered. I just took a butter knife and trimmed it away, so far it hasn't come back.
Used every weekend
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
...Has anyone bought or used the new drain attachment that replaces the p trap under your sink? It frees up space under the sink so you can get at the pots stored in the back behind all the plumbing...
Actually, they have been around for a while. I haven't used them but they violate most stick and brick plumbing codes. All mechanical drain devices will fail sooner or later, including the AAVs under the sinks that are often used in RVs to replace an actual vent. Since the drain valves are actually exposed to water and anything carried in the water, they are even more prone to failure than the AAVs. The drain valves may be the only way to get something to fit in a retrofit, however. If you decide to replace the trap with a drain valve, i would get an extra one so you can swap it out quickly when it fails since they can be a little hard to find locally.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #13

Yep mine too. Dives the missus bonkers.