Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #21
Site Team

My point would be is that there is no way to stand on that point unless you were going to test it, as we slide into the dinette and in ours, Amos the Blue Fronted Amazon bird has his cage by the window..

Also my Jayco warranty ran out 2 years ago... not going to push the issue, but will continue sliding into the dinette seating while the slide is in.

Don
Please note that I did not include the dog's 1/2 of his treat cookie (under the rug) as he saw it and grabbed it before I could draw it into the picture.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
My point would be is that there is no way to stand on that point unless you were going to test it, as we slide into the dinette and in ours, Amos the Blue Fronted Amazon bird has his cage by the window..

Also my Jayco warranty ran out 2 years ago... not going to push the issue, but will continue sliding into the dinette seating while the slide is in.

Don
Please note that I did not include the dog's 1/2 of his treat cookie (under the rug) as he saw it and grabbed it before I could draw it into the picture.
Agreed. perhaps my wording is a bit harsh. I certainly hope nobody would actually go and test that point. Like you we slide in and out all the time. Sometimes we even stack things on the table (while it is folded down) which won't slide around when we travel.

We keep the dog treats, leashes, and dog food in the small cabinet immediately by the door, so my husky intently checks that cabinet on a regular basis... for security purposes I am sure, just to make sure it doesn't accidentally open. Meanwhile, DW's Australian Silky will share his big queen bed with us, most of the time, at night; that is if we get in before he plants himself in his favorite spot, which is anywhere he decides at the moment. We are very luck to be the staff for these animals.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Actually, that is not too bad of a picture Don. I liked the dog hair, that must come standard nowadays, I have that in mine to...

To the OP and everyone else. First, let me apologize up front for my long winded approach at an explanation.

When we purchased our trailer we were warned about stepping on the slide out when it is in. However, nothing was said about folding the table up and sitting at it.
Now let me get sort of technical with the explanation. The slide rails operate in and out underneath the main floor of the trailer. While the slide out floor operates in and out above the main floor. The only way that kind of support is possible is via a very strong U-joint sort of fixture along the outboard edge. Many slide outs have a sort of plastic underlayment for the floor to assist it in sliding in and out without scratching or marring the main floor.
Now, the next time you operate your slide out, watch it carefully. top to bottom.
As you begin to slide it out, the rails underneath push outward, this causes the floor of the slide to start to move before the roof of the slide. The only way this happens is at the bottom U-channel joint. When this movement takes place the most inward bottom edge of the slide out MUST move slightly downward, until it can no longer move downward and then the upper roof begins to slide with the floor. You may also notice the walls and roof make a downward motion as well. Once the slide gets all the way out to the end of its movement, if you watch carefully, it usually makes contact with the upper side first which stops and then the lower floor side continues to move until the bottom edge makes contact, reaches the end of its motion and you hear the ratcheting noise.
Now if you look under your slideout at this time you will see your slide rails and how they connect to the outter floor edge under the outter wall. The floor of the slide is still above the main floor and the slide rails are underneath the main floor. What this illustrates is that the floor of the slide, since it is 4 or 5 inches above the rails, is strong enough to support weight (one would think, strong enough to support the same weight the main RV floor supports; but not always so). Still this is a moving object. designed to move in and out.
Now when you bring the slide in, watch carefully the movement. it will be the same (opposite abeit). When the slide comes to the end of its travel retracting, you will notice the floor makes a noticeable tip upwards until the outer wall seals and you hear the ratcheting sound.
Now time for the rudimentary physics lesson. When this is completed, due to the design and construction of slideouts, the weakest point of this would be at the farthest inner point of the slide floor and in the middle between the two walls. If you happen to apply pressure to the inner most middle portion of the slide floor, that will be the fulcrum point and most subject to damage.
With all that said, and since the slide is meant to be structurally sound enough to support weight around the table, it is safe to utilize while retracted. Yet, in deference to what the Jayco rep said, I would submit that stepping on or along the inner most edge of the slide floor is not a good idea. As one poster said, they heard an audible cracking sound when stepping on this edge.
In closing, for any doubters out there, I challenge you to go to your trailer and place your foot or both along that middle inner edge and bounce on it a bit, simulating stepping on it multiple times throughout a year or two and see how it holds up.
I agree with MOST of what you said here. Especially about how the slide moves; that's exactly what I have observed with mine.

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to my trailer to go look under the slide right now. And it's unlikely I'll remember to look next time I see it. Having a bad case of CRS lately!

So, here's where we differ: Basically what you're saying (if I'm reading it correctly) is that the structural integrity of the slide out room itself doesn't change whether the slide is in or out. I disagree.

When the slide out room is extended, the main walls and floor of the unit support that opening to the slide room. When the room is retracted, there is nothing to support that opening. Think of it like a box with one side missing. If you push on the sides of the opening, it collapses easily (like when you step on a retracted slide). But with the support of the outside main wall of the unit, the entire slide room structure has MUCH more support. Support on both sides; one from the main wall of the unit (the opening for which gives the opening of the slide room significant rigidity), and one from the slide rails that move under and outside the main floor of the unit.

Or another way to think of it would be like a can. If you have a thin-walled can with no lid, it's easy to collapse the can on the open end, but if you put a tight-fitting lid on the can over the opening, it's much more difficult to collapse it. The slide room is the open ended can, and the main wall of the trailer is the "lid".

Also, I'm a really big guy, so I don't think I need to go dancing around on the retracted slide floor with only one side of it supported from underneath. My slide is quite deep and long though, and that's an important point. The longer and deeper the slide, the more the problem.

All that being said, the idea of adding support to the under side of the slide while the slide is retracted is intriguing! I bet it wouldn't be all that difficult.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
. . . and its considered "bad form" to put our slides out when overnighting in Walmart and other parking lots . . .
Who made that rule?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #25

There are lists of voluntary suggestions for parking, not camping, in parking lots. Most leading RV groups and companies have endorsed them. The basic idea is look like you just parked to run in and shop, leave no trace, and thank the business. It's a business parking lot not a campground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #26
Site Team

Here is the link and video that explains the rules so that future stop-overs are not discontinued.
Scroll down to the video

RV Parking at Walmart – Walmart Locator
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #27

I have a new 2017 28RLS. I weigh 200 lbs, and stand on the edges of the slide while retracted without issue. Until reading this thread, I would have never thought to consider concern doing such.
I am an architectural engineer, but that doesn't mean I'm right in my current judgment that the construction of the slide is OK to use in such a manner; It just means that I've determined, without ill effect so far, that standing on the elevated portion of the slide while retracted, is ok.
I'll be watching this thread for contradicting experience, and adjust my habits accordingly!
domotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
snip -- The basic idea is look like you just parked to run in and shop, leave no trace, and thank the business. It's a business parking lot not a campground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very good advice, and good rules to follow. Pretty common. Yet you all should see the WalMart in Kenai, Alaska during the Dipnet season. It gets a$$inine ridiculous with the number of RV's who set up camp in that lot. I have seen RV shows with fewer RVs set up. Then consider most of these people are extremely selfish and rude with what they consider their space. Worse yet, we cannot blame it on tourists, since only Alaska residents can dipnet...
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by domotang View Post
I have a new 2017 28RLS. I weigh 200 lbs, and stand on the edges of the slide while retracted without issue. Until reading this thread, I would have never thought to consider concern doing such.
I am an architectural engineer, but that doesn't mean I'm right in my current judgment that the construction of the slide is OK to use in such a manner; It just means that I've determined, without ill effect so far, that standing on the elevated portion of the slide while retracted, is ok.
I'll be watching this thread for contradicting experience, and adjust my habits accordingly!
One poster has already noted that when he stood on that inner raised edge, he heard the tale tell cracking of wood. As an architectural engineer, think of it this way. The inner raised edge is the end point of a fulcrum lever and the outer wall is the pivot, you are just not lifting anything beyond the wall. As long as the lever is strong enough there should be no worries.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #30

As an architect engineer, I judiciously keep my mind open to those incidents which challenge my assertions.
I'm only sharing my experience, that standing on the edges of my retracted slide, has so far yielded no concern, not even the sound of cracking.
My ears are open to those sharing an obvious failure of the slide due to standing on the edge while retracted. But I thought you might be interested in hearing of my personal experience in this matter, which so far has not induced anything of concern.
domotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #31

The slide out on mine has 2 large storage areas under the seats of the dinette. Am I supposed to assume that loading these areas up with a couple hundred pound of gear is any different than me sitting in the slide?

I don't suggest jumping up and down on it... but within reason it was designed to support weight in both open and closed positions, and does apparently.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #32

When I took my unit in for warranty the main slide out was stepped on while we were looking things over. It made one heck of a cracking sound. Couldn't see any damage from it so far. But it made a believer out of me not to put on weight on the leading edge while retracted. So I'm avoiding it at any cost no matter what.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Trip # 3 out back to the TT. I tried to take a picture but none of them come out to where you can see what is there, Sooooooo, Below is my rendition of what is there, and I even took out a yard stick (yes they still make them) and could not slide it under the plastic wedge.

Ok, no comments on my ability to put what I see on paper....

Don

I believe the "Yall" = "WeAll"
Actually Don, I believe "ya'all" is singular and "all ya'all" is plural.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
The slide out on mine has 2 large storage areas under the seats of the dinette. Am I supposed to assume that loading these areas up with a couple hundred pound of gear is any different than me sitting in the slide?

I don't suggest jumping up and down on it... but within reason it was designed to support weight in both open and closed positions, and does apparently.
They must make heavier drawers in the travel trailers. Already had mine rebuilt as they wouldn't close when empty because the support under the flimsy luan floor was shifting. We only put paper towels and box dry goods in ours. One was split from day one but you can see the wood they used. The other one I temporarily put metal angles on one end so it would shut empty. And here's the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
rsz_item_#12-1.jpg   rsz_item_#12-3_2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
They must make heavier drawers in the travel trailers. Already had mine rebuilt as they wouldn't close when empty because the support under the flimsy luan floor was shifting. We only put paper towels and box dry goods in ours. One was split from day one but you can see the wood they used. The other one I temporarily put metal angles on one end so it would shut empty. And here's the pics.
I actually have a warranty claim pending on mine. Our first trip out my cabinet under one of the dinette seats won't close when the slide is in, and it's splitting kind of like yours but not that bad yet. I made the cabinet a bit more solid by adding some scrap oak flooring to brace the corners, but there's still a problem.

Before I rebuild the cabinet myself, I should probably have Jayco fix it 'properly' I'm already a bit concerned they are going to see my 'bandaid' and try to deny the warranty claim, but hopefully not.

Looks like the big difference between your situation and mine is under our dinette seats are long cabinets that run the length of the seat above it. No drawers, the bottom of the cabinet is part of the slide itself, and is actually carpeted, includes large 'bus tubs' like you see waiters using to clear tables. You can stuff a ton of stuff in there.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #36

I understand how yours is setup now. I was just thinking 200lbs and thought wow. No they shouldn't give you any problem with warranty. (Hopefully) They saw mine falling apart and it wasn't a problem getting that approved.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Here is the link and video that explains the rules so that future stop-overs are not discontinued.
Scroll down to the video

RV Parking at Walmart – Walmart Locator
Don
From the site you provided. I don't see any mention of slides. Maybe I missed it.

Industry-Sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy)
  1. Stay one night only!
  2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
  3. Obey posted regulations.
  4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
  5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
  6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
  7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
  8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #38

We have a 2016 23MRB, and we don't use the dinette when it's pulled in. There is room between the counter and the edge of the slide-out to get to the 'fridge (and the bathroom) and there is room between the wall of the slide and the couch. When we are stopping to eat lunch on our way somewhere, we just use the little table we got to accessorize, and sit on the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
23MRB-1.jpg  
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote