Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Sit at dinette with slide in?

Wondering if we could eat at the dinette with the slide in (Jayflight 27BHS)? My dealer said to not ever set foot on it because it is suspended when it is inside. However, a lot of the other advice I got from my dealer seems to be questionable, so I wonder if this is in the same category. I will shoot for an official answer from Jayco as well.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Slide out sit in

Would like to know Jayco's official position on this.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
Wondering if we could eat at the dinette with the slide in (Jayflight 27BHS)? My dealer said to not ever set foot on it because it is suspended when it is inside. However, a lot of the other advice I got from my dealer seems to be questionable, so I wonder if this is in the same category. I will shoot for an official answer from Jayco as well.
Ask them service@jayco.com include your VIN.

We have used our dinette while the slide is in since getting the TT (4 years). There is no movement up or down when I sit in it. Just checked it to make sure. I would disagree with the SALES PERSON, based on the attached picture. You will notice that the tubes that the slide rests on slide inside tubes that are mounted to the frame. The only time the slide is SUSPENDED is when the slide is out. I believe this is another case of SALES PERSON not knowing the internal design, or just talking off the top of their head. But I may be wrong and will apologize for the comment if I am wrong.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Slide Mechanism.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

We have done it frequently and never had a problem. If you cannot step into a slide that is in then there are big problems. If it cannot support you, how does it survive going down the road?
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

I don't think it would bother any of the parts that actually support the slideout, under the trailer. However, at least on mine, the plywood floor is suspended above the main floor when the slide is in. I could see it might be possible to damage the edge of the plywood flooring if you walked on/near the edge. I tread lightly when the slide is in and void the edge.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I don't think it would bother any of the parts that actually support the slideout, under the trailer. However, at least on mine, the plywood floor is suspended above the main floor when the slide is in. I could see it might be possible to damage the edge of the plywood flooring if you walked on/near the edge. I tread lightly when the slide is in and void the edge.
Yea. That's exactly right (at least on mine). I sit at the table but avoid the edges where the floor is attached to the slideout sides (end walls). My service tech told me to avoid the end edges because the floor could tear away from the slideout walls. He said if done, it could be fixed but would be a pain.
Having said that, the front edge of the slideout floor has dropped (when pulled in) and sits on top of the main floor, so it has sagged, in the middle, but I don't see how that can be avoided due to the length of the slide floor (mine is about 12').
Hope this all makes sense. Its difficult trying to explain something that could be solved with a couple pictures .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Yea. That's exactly right (at least on mine). I sit at the table but avoid the edges where the floor is attached to the slideout sides (end walls). My service tech told me to avoid the end edges because the floor could tear away from the slideout walls. He said if done, it could be fixed but would be a pain.
Having said that, the front edge of the slideout floor has dropped (when pulled in) and sits on top of the main floor, so it has sagged, in the middle, but I don't see how that can be avoided due to the length of the slide floor (mine is about 12').
Hope this all makes sense. Its difficult trying to explain something that could be solved with a couple pictures .
Exactly right.

Nothing supports the floor of the slideout room when it is retracted. The supports are under the floor on the outside of the RV. So, in mine, the only place I can sit is in the very middle of the slide, where the slide floor is sagging and touching the main floor.

When the slide is extended, the "opening" of the slide room is supported by the outside wall of the TT, and the outside wall of the slide room is supported by the slide rails.

Please excuse the crudity of my attached drawring, but this is how mine's built.

I stepped on the slide floor exactly once while it was retracted, and the cracking noise was quite disconcerting. I didn't do any damage, but I guarantee you, no one steps on the slide while it's in.

There's also the possibility of the slide floor contacting the main floor and causing ripped linoleum we hear so much about. It's not the only cause, but it can be a cause of that type of damage.

ETA: Perhaps .jpg is better than .pdf?
Attached Thumbnails
Slideout Drawing jpg.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slideout Drawing.pdf (10.1 KB, 17 views)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

we do it in our Greyhawk.
not worried about it.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
we do it in our Greyhawk.
not worried about it.
Different design. In a MH, the slides are meant to be occupied during transit when the slides are retracted. In a TT, they are not. At least not on mine and several others.

It would be pretty easy on most TTs to take a peek under the carpet while the slide is retracted and see if there is support under the slide floor when it is retracted. If there is not, I would stay off it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Team

I just went back out to look under the rug and there is a thick plastic wedge that wraps around the front of the slide floor and goes as far back as I can see. I stood on the dinette floor and there was no up or down movement at all. The same for the couch.

Nice having the TT next to me.

Don
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

I avoid walking or sitting on mines as much as possible. Better safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #12

Thanks everybody. I'll peek under mine the next time I'm out there. I just emailed Jayco, and I'll let you know what they say.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #13

Looking forward to hearing what they say. I've had some issues with one of the cabinets under my dinette slide that people have suggested in the past was a result of us sitting at the table when it was retracted. It's going into warranty repairs as soon as it thaws enough for me move it... probably April at this rate.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

During our PDI we were given the same advice. Over the years I've stepped on the Leading Edge several times and it is suspended. I have to say I'm the first to distrust dealers, but Thompson Family RV never jerked me around at all.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #15

Shove a yardstick underneath your retracted slide. If you can move it all about then you have no support when retracted. I'm sure it varies by slide design and length.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #16

Hmmm -- so I'm wondering. If some slides aren't supported along the front edge while retracted . . . and its considered "bad form" to put our slides out when overnighting in Walmart and other parking lots . . . then could we design a couple of wedges or other supports to push under the slide on those occasions when we do want to use it while retracted?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #17

I was thinking same thing. A wedge or even just a couple pieces of foam under the leading edge.

And without further ado, here is the official Jayco customer service answer:

Good Afternoon.
I personally see nothing wrong with it at all. I used to build travel trailers and we used to sit and work with the slide outs in and we never had any problems at all. I have even spoken with my supervisor and she has even said that there is no problem with yall sitting in there and having lunch with the slide out in.
I hope that this has been some help. Have a great weekend!

Thank you and have a Blessed Day.
Ashley Walls
cid:image001.png@01D1C626.64DAC1D0, INC
Customer Service Representative
Jayflights, Eagles TT & HT, Bungalows
Phone: 800-283-8267
service@jayco.com

Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Trip # 3 out back to the TT. I tried to take a picture but none of them come out to where you can see what is there, Sooooooo, Below is my rendition of what is there, and I even took out a yard stick (yes they still make them) and could not slide it under the plastic wedge.

Ok, no comments on my ability to put what I see on paper....

Don

I believe the "Yall" = "WeAll"
Attached Thumbnails
JAYCO - Floor under table.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #19

nice pic lol.

Was surprised at Jayco's response. Not at all what I was expecting to hear, but was what I was hoping to hear.

Bonus points for the Jayco employee actually typing out 'yall'
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #20

Actually, that is not too bad of a picture Don. I liked the dog hair, that must come standard nowadays, I have that in mine to...

To the OP and everyone else. First, let me apologize up front for my long winded approach at an explanation.

When we purchased our trailer we were warned about stepping on the slide out when it is in. However, nothing was said about folding the table up and sitting at it.
Now let me get sort of technical with the explanation. The slide rails operate in and out underneath the main floor of the trailer. While the slide out floor operates in and out above the main floor. The only way that kind of support is possible is via a very strong U-joint sort of fixture along the outboard edge. Many slide outs have a sort of plastic underlayment for the floor to assist it in sliding in and out without scratching or marring the main floor.
Now, the next time you operate your slide out, watch it carefully. top to bottom.
As you begin to slide it out, the rails underneath push outward, this causes the floor of the slide to start to move before the roof of the slide. The only way this happens is at the bottom U-channel joint. When this movement takes place the most inward bottom edge of the slide out MUST move slightly downward, until it can no longer move downward and then the upper roof begins to slide with the floor. You may also notice the walls and roof make a downward motion as well. Once the slide gets all the way out to the end of its movement, if you watch carefully, it usually makes contact with the upper side first which stops and then the lower floor side continues to move until the bottom edge makes contact, reaches the end of its motion and you hear the ratcheting noise.
Now if you look under your slideout at this time you will see your slide rails and how they connect to the outter floor edge under the outter wall. The floor of the slide is still above the main floor and the slide rails are underneath the main floor. What this illustrates is that the floor of the slide, since it is 4 or 5 inches above the rails, is strong enough to support weight (one would think, strong enough to support the same weight the main RV floor supports; but not always so). Still this is a moving object. designed to move in and out.
Now when you bring the slide in, watch carefully the movement. it will be the same (opposite abeit). When the slide comes to the end of its travel retracting, you will notice the floor makes a noticeable tip upwards until the outer wall seals and you hear the ratcheting sound.
Now time for the rudimentary physics lesson. When this is completed, due to the design and construction of slideouts, the weakest point of this would be at the farthest inner point of the slide floor and in the middle between the two walls. If you happen to apply pressure to the inner most middle portion of the slide floor, that will be the fulcrum point and most subject to damage.
With all that said, and since the slide is meant to be structurally sound enough to support weight around the table, it is safe to utilize while retracted. Yet, in deference to what the Jayco rep said, I would submit that stepping on or along the inner most edge of the slide floor is not a good idea. As one poster said, they heard an audible cracking sound when stepping on this edge.
In closing, for any doubters out there, I challenge you to go to your trailer and place your foot or both along that middle inner edge and bounce on it a bit, simulating stepping on it multiple times throughout a year or two and see how it holds up.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote