Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

slide out pauses on way in

Our Jayco 32BHDS main living area slide out goes out without a hitch, but when we retract it - it comes in about half way, stops, then restart and closes. I think that it could be a relay or the switch and my Jayco service tech agrees. Anyone know where the relay would be located and would the first step be to replace the switch.

Thanks in advance. Always receive excellent information from this forum.
LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not an expert like your service tech but I have never seen any relay in this circuit. It is a 12vdc motor that is activated by the polarity of the voltage coming from the switch.

I have heard of the switch causing problems and that is what is would trouble shoot first if I was him.
I am assuming you don't have a remote switch.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

Is it always in the same spot? Or randomly? It could be contacts in the switch.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
Is it always in the same spot? Or randomly? It could be contacts in the switch.
There is a lot of current flowing thru those switch contacts and likely more on the way in than on the way out.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

I suppose there could be some kind of thermal protective device in the motor that trips due to over heat then resets after cooling a bit. Hard to tell a lot from the description. Like others, I'm not aware of any relays in use. Just full motor current thru the switch.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

You could check the wiring connections at the slide motor as well. The connections on our 28BHBE were not secure and the slide would run slow. The marrettes were starting to melt due to the poor connections. I removed the marrettes and soldered the connections. Also used heat shrink tubing to protect the connections and tied the wiring aecurEly. Slide purrs in and out smoothly and without straining now.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

slide out pauses on way in - update

Crawled under the trailer yesterday. Looked a the motor connections and they seemed to be okay. I did find that there is a covered wiring harness running to the back of the slide out (sealed with foam) that comes out of a 2" frame bracket. When the slide out is closed these wires are compressed against the 2" frame. The wiring harness has deteriorated and the white, black-white and green wires are "bare". I'm going to try a trace these wires and - hopefully - they will go to the slide out motor. Since there is very little "play" in the wiring, I am going to try and loosen the wires and wrap each wire with electrical tape and then re-cover with a flexible wrap. I'll try to post pictures later.

Once again thanks for all your help. You guys pointed me in the right direction and saved me from buying a new switch that would not have solved the problem. I'll let you know if the wires caused the pausing.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

The slide motor does not have a ground wire so you might be looking at wires for an electrical outlet.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
Site Team

What tests have you done to eliminate the switch?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #10

slide out pauses on way in

Just started checking when I saw the "frayed" electrical wires. I'll fix them tonight then pull the switch for the slide and replace it with the switch from the back slide. If the slide goes in/out without pausing then I'll know it is the switch.

Thanks for the info on the wire colors, would have never thought of it being wires to the electrical plugs or lights.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4
Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Slide out pauses on way in - update II

Removed the switch and temporary replaced it with a toggle switch. Moved the slide out in and out several times with out any hesitation. New switch will be picked up this weekend.

Another note for all you 32BHDS owners, the living area slide has an electrical wiring harness that runs from a 2" frame block (close to the tires) along the back slide wall and up. This looks to be like an electrical setup for lights and plugs in the living area. You need to check this wiring as it rubs along the slide out runner and the covering will wear out leaving the wires exposed. I disconnected the battery and covered each wire with color coded electrical tape then wrapped the entire harness area in electrical tape. Got a piece of plumbing foam - the kind you use to wrap pipes- and placed it at the bottom of the 2" frame area. Hopefully this will stop the fraying of wires for a while. Since there is very little play in the wires, if they wear through they will disappear into the 2" frame and will be quite hard to "fish" out.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4
Old 01-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Site Team

I love a happy ending! I know a good many friends who have had that switch go bad after a few years. There is a lot of current thru those connectors.

Fortunately I have never had one go out.
Gator roll-up bed cover

Tags
slide out pausing