Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

slide out protection?

I'm picking up an 08 Jay feather 311 which has 2 slide outs but no awnings over the slides. Being that I've never owned a trailer with slides I'm unsure what's the best way to protect and prevent water from coming in. What's recommended?
al7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #2

There are a few threads here re adding awning covers for the slide outs. I do not have them on mine yet. We only recently purchased it but, climbing up and sweeping the leaves and dead bugs off the top of the slide out is something that I can already tell makes it an option worth considering. Will be looking into them myself. We have only one slide out.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by al7601 View Post
I'm picking up an 08 Jay feather 311 which has 2 slide outs but no awnings over the slides. Being that I've never owned a trailer with slides I'm unsure what's the best way to protect and prevent water from coming in. What's recommended?
The slide seals should prevent water from coming in without 'toppers'. Are your seals in good condition? We didn't have toppers last year and didn't have any problems.

As suzhou said, you'll need to check, and possibly clean off, the tops of your slides each time you bring them in. You don't want debris on top of the slide jamming into your slide seals and damaging them.

Since you have slides on both sides, you can have the trailer slightly nose up or down when you setup so that water drains better if it rains. When we camp (or the trailer is parked at the house), I have the slide side slightly down so the rain water stays away from the slide seal and the trailer slightly nose up.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #4

Two trailers ago we had a Jayco with one slide out and no topper. We had this unit for 10 years without any problems. It was a pain to climb on the roof and sweep the slide out off before closing but easy enough to do. We lubed the seals at least twice a year and they were still in good shape when we sold the unit. I'm no longer able to climb on the roof(according to the dear wife) so now our new unit has three slide toppers.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote