Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Slide Out Puzzled

Hello,
I've completed a lot of maintenance on a used Jayco Qwest TSL 278X travel trailer from completely rebuilding the axles, brakes, springs, gas lines and adding double battery box, power jack, new LP tanks and various other small repairs. Now to the biggy. I know Slide Outs have been discussed a lot here. Fully understand how to adjust the slide out and mine goes in and out very nicely and seals nice and flat on the outside. The inside is my problem as it does not seal completely on the forward edge toward the trailer front when it is completely extended out. On the inside of the trailer it is a gradual opening between the wall of the trailer and the rubber of the slide starting at 5 feet up and going to the floor. The gap at the floor is about 3/4 of an inch and if you hold a flashlight next to it you can see the light when you go underneath the slide out in the area and look up. Now if I adjust the slide to close this gap inside I end up with the opposite outside. What I have noticed is the Aluminum trim ( which has a rubber seal ) on the forward edge of the slide out which seals up against the trailer seems to be slightly bent outward. I placed a straightedge against this and sure enough it shows an outward curve. My question is how to go about bending this back straight. I am sure it has to be removed to do this operation. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Well I am sure it is aluminum and as a bodyMan of 37 years I would say it might be easier to do on the camper , depending on how far the bend goes up you might take a 2x4 and with a buffer in between like a towel or carpet work your way up and down the trim tapping the wood with a 2 lb or so hammer toward the outer edge checking to see if it is moving in the direction you desire .... You might end up needing to recaulk the trim to wall afterwards but I still believe this would be worth a try before going through the pain it would be to remove the trim
Old 03-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

I just shake at the thought of this correction. If it's tight when closed and slides perfectly open & closing then for the time being I would just let it be and just concentrate on the gap itself. Would you settle for the time being of using a piece of foam like they use to seal a room AC against a window? Applying it to the inside of the TT and the slide seals up to it.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Great ideas

Well as far a trying to do it while attached to the trailer is that I am afraid the screws that hold the trim on will loosen somehow. I thought of using two large vice grip flange pliers and grab it in two places and try to bend slightly. Would have to reseal. The foam idea is a good one as it would compress well and being it seals well on the outside the way it is might be the better route. Thanks will ponder next move.
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote