Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

Slide Rubber Seal

I've got a '97 Jayco Designer 3120FK. The couch and table slide out. While on a trip last week, I noticed the rubber seal that is around the slide opening has come off its chennel and is rolling when the slide moves.

Does anyone know a way to put it back in place short of removing the slide?

Any assistance is appreciated

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #2

I used a marine sealant with clamps, that was two years ago and still holding up, it was Bostik 940, but 3m makes a 5200 that will work just longer to dry a few days at best....
Reese, WD, Dual Cam Sway..
SW Florida..
nealtrombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

I had a 97 Eagle 314BHS. Bought it used in 03 or 04. Year later I had the same thing happen. I simply pushed it back onto the edge. Worked for a while but got steadily worse. Eventually had to have the seal replaced, very expensive. Lasted less than 2 years.

My rubber seal had metal clips inside it that actually "gripped the metal siding. Over time water leaked in and corroded these clips.

After the seal went out a 2nd time in 07, I bought a new seal from an RV dealer and installed it myself. Couldn't believe how easy it was to do.

As I was installing it I noticed several places where the drip edge channel looked like it was leaking. This allowed water to run behind the drip edge down the siding and onto the top of the seal. It never had a chance of lasting. I removed it and reinstalled it with new buytl tape under it.

After the new seal was in, I ran a little silicone sealer over the top outside edge of the new seal. (The dealer told me not to, but as they were the ones who did the job the 1st time, I decided to ignor them)

That job lasted until I sold the trailer this past spring. No leaks.
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #4

just FYI-- the 3m 5200,is also avail in fast setup(fast cure)
2003 ford f250 7.3 diesel shortbed-47000 miles
firestone air bags-edge evolution programmer
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #5

Spraying the slide seals with silcone every once in a while helps keep them flexible and not as apt to drag heavily and roll under. A little overspray onto the slide itself doesn't hurt either.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Spraying the slide seals with silcone every once in a while helps keep them flexible and not as apt to drag heavily and roll under. A little overspray onto the slide itself doesn't hurt either.
I was told NEVER do that by the dealer, the silicone will damage the rubber. They suggest using tell talcum powder as that will not damage the rubber but will provide good lubrication.

Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

I've been spraying silicone on my slide seals for 9 years now and they're still flexible and look like new.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
I've been spraying silicone on my slide seals for 9 years now and they're still flexible and look like new.
Ya, I'm not sure why he thought that, I'd think silicone would be fine and it seems like from your experience it has worked well.

- Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote