Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #1

Slide Toppers

OK you DYIers just got a quote of over $800 to get a slide topper installed. Felt I could use a leaf blower rather then shell out that kind of money to keep junk out of the slide when departing. I have covered storage so not an issue there.

Who has a good idea for a quick install at camp sites to cover the slide from leaves and junk that can be removed at departure?

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

I meant DIYers

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
OK you DYIers just got a quote of over $800 to get a slide topper installed. Felt I could use a leaf blower rather then shell out that kind of money to keep junk out of the slide when departing. I have covered storage so not an issue there.

Who has a good idea for a quick install at camp sites to cover the slide from leaves and junk that can be removed at departure?
You could attach a poly tarp to a piece of 1" conduit or water pipe long and wide enough to cover the slideout about (6" wider minimum). Tie some 1/4" rope to the camper end corners of tarp and throw over the roof. Anchor with a tent stake. Tie the other ropes to the ends of the conduit and Anchor with a tent stake. Should be quick & easy to put up and take down. You need to have cover from TT roof to the outer edge of slideout flange. Conduit should be on outside of flange. Good luck with trying to color match your TT and the Tarp ................. Swampy

If you are a DIY er and not afraid of working off the top of a ladder, price the kits from Makarios RV's. should be 1/2 The cost...

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

A 6.5' slide topper is about $225 on Amazon. If you can install it yourself you can save a good bit of money. Depends on your skill level. I installed mine (100") in about 2 hours.

Climbing on the roof in who knows what kind of weather to clear the top of a slide makes no sense to me at all. Plus the topper keeps the slide a lot cooler in the direct sun.

When we left Florida last week it was pouring down in buckets when I had to hook up. Got soaked clean clear thru. I would hate to think I had to climb up on the roof in that deluge and wind. Plus I would have brought in several gallons of water on the top of the slide. As it was, the slide came in dry as a bone and all the water dumped off the topper.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post

I paid 650 for my slide topper and it was worth every penny for me. I had water slide in and didn't like to clean it up. Leaves I could care less it was the water that bothered me. Also I use mine in the snow so when I get 3-4 inches on top I just slide it in and the snow just rolls right off.

I love it
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Worth every penny. Otherwise carry a ladder and then sweep it off by hand with a broom.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

I've been RVing since the '60s but this is my first rig with slides. After reading the forum, talking with the dealer, etc. I decided NOT to put them on at first.

But at my age - I ain't climbing on no roofs.

SO - I rigged up a 4 in pipe with a 90 degree bend at the top (modified from a gutter cleaning kit for blowers). My plan was to blow off the slide roofs from the ground.
Didn't work. First I couldn't see what was left. Second, when things were damp/wet leaves, etc. stuck and the blower didn't get them. Third, when things were damp/wet that came into the rig with the slide.

After about 6 trips, half of them in the fall, I bit the bullet and put slide toppers on.
Glad I did and should have put them on at first.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #8

If you can install it yourself, they only cost around $250 or so as stated above.

I would not own a rig without them. Slides are kept cooler when in the sun, no water or junk comes in when you move the slides in, and no climbing on the roof etc. to clean them. No worries if I have to pack-up and leave in the rain.

Got mine added at the Jayco factory when we ordered the rig. $800 for the 4 of them.....yes please.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Slide toppers also help to keep the slide out cooler when the sun is beating down on them.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

We installed the slide toppers on our 5th wheel DIY. With two people (strong AND tall enough), it wasn't bad at all.

In our neck of the woods (Pacific NW), the toppers also keep the drizzle from drizzling into the RV and getting the carpets wet. Even considering the racket they make in high wind conditions (to where we'd pull the slides in, so we could sleep in peace), we wouldn't be without slide toppers.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
carry a ladder
I always carry a ladder; never know when you need to get on the roof or up high on the side. I have a Telescopic Extension Ladder that takes up very little room and it is a beast.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote