Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #1

Sliding slideout window leaks

Unlike the rest of the unit that has the windows that crank open at the bottom my slideout windows(forward and rear facing) slide side to side.

In heavy rain these leak.

At first I assume it was a perimeter leak and jayco suggested to apply a tiny bead of clear silicone around window flange till I could get to a (DREADED) dealer.

That did not stop it. It leaked again. This time was daylight and I went out and it seems the actual lite of glass is leaking where the vinyl/rubber is. I need to investigate more maybe this afternoon.

Anyone else seen or dealt with this? It is both of mine front and rear of slide.
Kidd280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

I haven't experienced this but curious what the fix will be. I was concerned about the windows in our slideout but we camped through some very heavy rain this past year and no issues...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Without me having to call Jayco does anyone know the make/model of the windows?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Three years ago (while still under warranty) we had the rear window in the slide out replaced because Jayco did not cut the opening correctly and it warped the window frame. The water would run down the side of the window and into the drain channel at the bottom and into the TT. Yes the TT was level. Jayco sent out the tech with a new window, no questions asked. I guess they may have had a big issue with this problem. The tech said he had replaced about 3 slide windows at the time, all on the back side of the slide out. Maybe the jig for cutting out the opening was the problem.

When they replaced the window they did a little fine tuning on the opening and then used Dicor around the opening, just to be safe.

No issues since then.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

We had a similar leak around the window in our slideout, during our last camping trip. It only showed up during a heavy rain with high winds, blowing straight at the side of our camper. This after 50+ days of camping. It looked as if the wind was forcing rain water over the top of the window panes. Kinda weird, actually.

We took it to our dealer and they removed and resealed the window under warranty. Hoping it did the job.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #6

Ok got a chance to look over these windows. Both leak on the stationary side.

It has a vinyl retainer/trim that fits into the extrusion. The glass lite was set in a bed of silicone. This trim is supposed to help shed water(maybe) and cover the edge if glass.

The upper inside corner was not fully seated so I gently pulled it back and noticed the silicone bed of sealant. I worked the trim towards the top of the window and seen that near the center the silicone was very thin or non existent. I applied some fresh dow corning attempting to work it into that void and replaced the trim into that silicone as well.

Next side I peeled it back from the starting point and noticed again the bed of silicone was thin. It was thick and sealed to the vinyl about 6" past where it leaks. I laid in more dow and reset trim.

Tomorrow to flood it with a water hose.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd280 View Post
Ok got a chance to look over these windows. Both leak on the stationary side.

It has a vinyl retainer/trim that fits into the extrusion. The glass lite was set in a bed of silicone. This trim is supposed to help shed water(maybe) and cover the edge if glass.

The upper inside corner was not fully seated so I gently pulled it back and noticed the silicone bed of sealant. I worked the trim towards the top of the window and seen that near the center the silicone was very thin or non existent. I applied some fresh dow corning attempting to work it into that void and replaced the trim into that silicone as well.

Next side I peeled it back from the starting point and noticed again the bed of silicone was thin. It was thick and sealed to the vinyl about 6" past where it leaks. I laid in more dow and reset trim.

Tomorrow to flood it with a water hose.
Flooded and changed the spot water enters. Once the weather cooperates again I am going to remove the entire vinyl strip and apply clear silicone complete then reapply.