Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Slx ?

I don't really want to begin a lengthy Thread (unless of course there're a myriad differing answers), but can anyone enlighten me about the "SLX" following some of Jayco's models? I emailed Jayco.com, but they've yet to respond, and I'm an inpatient type.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Used to be JayFlight Swift.

They are manufactured to target a slightly lower price point. Construction practices and major components are the same; the difference comes in on small items that many don't notice.

Lack of hydraulic lift-assist rams on the bed
No windows in perpendicular walls on slides
No power vents are in bathroom
Steel wheels, opposed to aluminum wheels
Showed surround was a big item missing in the SLX, notnsure if that is still the case.
Fewer purchase options

Jayco doesn't publish a call comprehensive list.

When we were shopping last, the difference was $2k-$2.5k, the extras were worth the $ to us. For others it's not. Personal decision.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Slx ?

I have a 2016 SLX 264BHW...it is basically the same as a regular Jay Flight 26BH except
Only gas hot water tank not gas/electric
No power tongue jack
No propane cover
No medicine cabinet
No backsplash in kitchen
A few less cabinets than the 26BH
OSB roof compared to plywood
No heat duct or a/c in washroom
Smaller fresh water tank
No enclosed or heated underbelly
Plastic toilet
No struts under queen bed
Just basic radio no Bluetooth or dvd
No black tank flush
No sink covers

The SLX does in fact have quite a few nice features and is basically a stripped down version of the regular Jay Flight.
I've added several options to my SLX like propane cover and tv's, stove cover ect...personally I love the SLX and it's been great the last 2 seasons. I'm sure I missed a few minor differences between the two trailers but depending on what you want in a travel trailer the SLX is perfect.
Oh and the above poster was wrong about no tub surround in the SLX because mine has it. Also has power vent fan in washroom as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Another big difference is the slx lacks a thermostat controlled a/c. Unless they've added it to the 2017's.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #5

Axles/springs are not as heavy duty on the SLX, giving a lower ccc vs the Flight.

Possibly different style cabinet doors.

I thought the tub surround was a difference as well, but that could have easily changed along the way. Or the trailer Cold bought got one by mistake (a good mistake!!)???

Propane tanks are/were different I think, 20lb vs 30lb tanks.

Slightly smaller fridge???

When looking at the list on Jayco's website, maybe pull it up on two different devices (computer/tablet/phone). Have one opened to the SLX page, and the other the Flight. May be easier to compare.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Axles/springs are not as heavy duty on the SLX, giving a lower ccc vs the Flight.

Possibly different style cabinet doors.

I thought the tub surround was a difference as well, but that could have easily changed along the way. Or the trailer Cold bought got one by mistake (a good mistake!!)???

Propane tanks are/were different I think, 20lb vs 30lb tanks.

Slightly smaller fridge???

When looking at the list on Jayco's website, maybe pull it up on two different devices (computer/tablet/phone). Have one opened to the SLX page, and the other the Flight. May be easier to compare.

Good luck!!!

I don't know about the axles my slx has a ccc of 2000 lbs...it's a 6 cf fridge an honestly I've never had a problem with it being too small. My SLX has a tub surround.
As far as the 20 lb propane over the 30 I actually prefer the 20's as most places exchange the 20's.

Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

S l x

Thanks to all for your inputs. Visited the JAYCO.com site and the many differences everyone cited are evident. I'm still curious if the SLX is short for something - kinda like the old Ford LTD (which I think denoted "Limited"); perhaps JAYCO will respond with an answer to my email. Maybe it stands for Slightly Less luXerious !
Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

Slx (old thread)

For all y'all just waiting on tenterhooks , JAYCO got back to me on the meaning of SLX. Some of you were pretty close. The "SL" denotes "SuperLite" (or is that "Light?") and the "X" denotes an entry level Jay Flight. I was kinda hoping the "X" was a rating or something, like R-rated; must be the sailor in me. Aren't you glad I shared that with you ?! Still -ing? I gotta get a hobby.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
For all y'all just waiting on tenterhooks , JAYCO got back to me on the meaning of SLX. Some of you were pretty close. The "SL" denotes "SuperLite" (or is that "Light?") and the "X" denotes an entry level Jay Flight. I was kinda hoping the "X" was a rating or something, like R-rated; must be the sailor in me. Aren't you glad I shared that with you ?! Still -ing? I gotta get a hobby.
Jeff, That was one of the funniest posts I've seen. Awesome!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #10

Hey Book... - not to cast aspersions ('cause I ain't running for POTUS!), but you must be easily entertained. Tx anyway for the compliment, uh - that WAS a compliment? - Jeff
Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #11

Another difference is more basic. The SLX models have a 4" cambered steel box frame. The regular Jay Flights have an I class cambered structural steel I beam frame.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I don't know about the axles my slx has a ccc of 2000 lbs...it's a 6 cf fridge an honestly I've never had a problem with it being too small. My SLX has a tub surround.
As far as the 20 lb propane over the 30 I actually prefer the 20's as most places exchange the 20's. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you compare other sister models the Flight can have almost 1000lbs more ccc, vs the SLX. Your case (which is pretty good ccc) per the brochure weights it is only about 300lbs. Still looks to be different rated axles and/or springs.

Only commented on the surround as I had not looked up the specs for the SLX. Club stated when they shopped it wasn't available on the SLX (or Swift at that time), but you said you had it. Know things do change, even mid-model year.

Mentioned the fridge because it had been missed at that point. For some may be a big deal, though the size isn't a huge difference.

Didn't see the propane tanks mentioned either. Some may want the 30lbers. You may not be aware, but exchanging the 20's usually only nets you 15lbs of propane. Price is a little more, but is a convenience to just swap.

Didn't know the SLX had a different frame. Interesting!!!

Jeff,

Good luck shopping and hope it's an easy decision for you guys!!!

Can't recall if it's been mentioned, but get a good wdh with integrated sway control. And size the wd bars to the approximate loaded tw, not the "brochure" dry tongue/hitch weight!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

One reason we decided to go for the 2017 267BHSW SLX was because we felt that it met the minimum requirement without going overboard, thus saving us a few dollars on premium features and keeping the tow weight down as an added bonus.

Ours has all the entry level features I think I need, and I'm not paying a premium for those nice to haves.
What I really wanted in the layout was more places to sit than just the dinette area. Ours has a jack-knife sofa next to the dinette in the slide-out.

Not sure about previous year models or other models in the series, but ours has:
- Power Awning
- Power slide out
- Heating duct in the bathroom
- Tub surround
- Sealed underbelly
- Bluetooth in the sound system
- Plenty of storage including a cabinet above the jack knife sofa
- Fridge/freezer seems plenty big enough (Gas/Electric powered)
- Propane tanks covers (2x30lb)

The next model up has in addition, in general:
- Alloy wheels
- Heated underfloor
- Fake tile backsplash behind sink
- A more rigid frame and a stronger roof (I think)
- A roof access ladder
- A built-in bunk access ladder I think
- A mounted TV and DVD player in the sound system
- Sink cover over the sink for more worktop space
- Gas strut supports under the bed for lifting the mattress to get to the under-storage area
- Larger storage tanks I think
- Maybe it has a thermostat-driven A/C. Not a big deal for me north of the 49th...

As far as I can tell the cabinetry style is identical. I do wish our model had more drawers than just 2 (but this is the model layout design not an SLX/non-SLX thing). They add a few extra furnishings in them I think (like a medicine cabinet and a nice lampshade above the dinette... bless!).

Even though I think the structure of the next model up may be a bit more robust, I was satisfied that the build of the SLX was strong enough for my needs and it also meant that this model weighed in at over 1000lbs less than the non-SLX version.
This puts less strain on my Ford Expedition SUV and allows me to pack more when needed. I personally feel more comfortable being way below my tow capacity and several thousand less $$ in debt for the Trailer. (Try as I might, I just couldn't buy one second hand. I have to feel like it's my home and mine alone!)

On top of that I have done my own additions, and saved a ton of money:
  • Added 32" TV/DVD combo set ($250 from Walmart) and a full motion bracket mount ($30 from Amazon).
  • Laid down an extra piece of carpet (free from in-laws)
  • Cut out my own Sink cover ($15 piece of 2'x4' laminated hardboard from Home Depot)
  • Add struts under the bed to re-inforce when raising the bed ($40/pair from Amazon)

I also re-inforced under the queen bed. There are crazy large gaps under there and I don't think this is just limited to the SLX edition. It's a 'feature' of all Jay Flight models. Just sitting on the bed will rip out the stapled-in trim from under the sides of the mattress. Sloppy if you ask me!
Fortunately all it took was a couple of 2'x2's on each side and some caulking to seal the gaps. ($15)

Another important factor for me was the overall length. The 267BHSW at 30'2" fit exactly on my driveway. Even if it had a roof access ladder it would have been pushed out a few inches onto the road.

So if you don't mind a little extra customization work, I think the SLX is a very good value entry level TT. We love ours! Managed to get out twice after purchasing it before the cold season hit.

Good luck with your decision making.
red3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

Our first TT had cold running water, a sink, an ice box, one propane light and a very nice gravity furnace. It served us well for 29 years. When we retired her she was 50 years old and still quite serviceable. The kids use her now.

When we looked for a new one our requirements were size (to fit thru a wooded driveway and able to store on a small clearing), and floorplan. We wanted a closet for example. When we looked at our SLX we were in awe at all the amenities.

Now we have hot AND cold running water, a refrigerator and OMG a microwave and AC. (We don't even have AC at home.....LOL).

I guess its all what you're used to and what you "can't live without". We are quite happy with our SLX and plan on keeping her for at least another 25 years, God willing...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Before the Swift and SLX there was the Jayflight and Jayflight G2 offerings. The G2 had more goodies for about 2 grand more but the construction, running gear, and GVWR were the same. When they introduced the Swift there were less goodies and they also made some changes in construction and reduced weights and GVWR. They also offered smaller units then available in the Jayflight line. Remember just a few years back gas was 3-5 bucks a gallon and there was a craze to keep weights down as well as the size of the tow vehicles.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote