Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Unhappy soaked insulation in underbelly

on our maiden voyage in our new jayco 23 fb we had multiple problems. took it back to the dealer and they seemed to fix everything with the exception of they left me with soaked underbelly insulation. there fix for that was to cut a slit in the under belly so the water could drain out. the dealer claims the insulation will dry all by itself and be good as new. 3 weeks later it is still soaking wet (no surprise) . will this dry over time and regain its insulating properties? it is rather distressing to have a brand new camper and have it given back from the repair shop like that.
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

I would worry about mold. I would take it back to the dealer and have it fixed right.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

I'd worry about mold too. How did it get so wet? There has to be a leak somewhere. If dealer doesn't take care of it right I'd call Jayco.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Don't settle for that lame excuse. It will cause nothing but problems down the road if not taken of correctly by the dealer now.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

I agree. If the dealer does not want to tear into it, call Jayco and explain the situation.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #6

Unhappy

that is my worry. unfortunately that is the dealers response is that it will dry by itself in the enclosed underbelly. i am certainly not a genius but that is what an enclosed underbelly is, it is enclosed meaning no air circulation .
and yes,there was a leak down there causing the situation to begin with.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

What caused the leak? Did the dealer fix the leak correctley? What Jayco Dealer did you buy your trailer from?
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

Unhappy

we had a few water related issues, one was the water tank itself and the second was the fresh water fill hose was installed incorrectly. i was given a printout of what the service department did to fix those two issues. and of course nothing was mentioned about the slit underbelly or the insulation. if i had not crawled underneath and noticed the slit i would have never known.
if it is fixed i am not positive. the system holds pressure meaning the water pump will not run unless we crack a faucet. the tank itself could be leaking though.
we so far have been shocked at the quality(or lack of) of this unit. this is not our first jayco. it looks like it was thrown together very quickly with poor workmanship. we purchased it from big sky rv here in bozeman. we have always been extremely pleased with them. thing is,our last jaycos were so good we never had to take them back to get worked on.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't settle for that lame excuse. It will cause nothing but problems down the road if not taken of correctly by the dealer now.
I would be on the phone with Jayco today. You will never be happy with that once the mildew and odors take hold. If that belly pan is not opened up and properly dried...l'd be complaining loudly to Jayco if they will not dry it out before closing the under belly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
we had a few water related issues, one was the water tank itself and the second was the fresh water fill hose was installed incorrectly. i was given a printout of what the service department did to fix those two issues. and of course nothing was mentioned about the slit underbelly or the insulation. if i had not crawled underneath and noticed the slit i would have never known.
if it is fixed i am not positive. the system holds pressure meaning the water pump will not run unless we crack a faucet. the tank itself could be leaking though.
we so far have been shocked at the quality(or lack of) of this unit. this is not our first jayco. it looks like it was thrown together very quickly with poor workmanship. we purchased it from big sky rv here in bozeman. we have always been extremely pleased with them. thing is,our last jaycos were so good we never had to take them back to get worked on.
We took our trailer to the dealer 3 times for the same leak before it was fixed correctly.
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #11

Hole in underbelly leaking ?

I had a problem also, sort of like that.I have just bought a fb22 jayco jay flight, I have had it for less then a month.I would filler up with water and it would be ok for awhile .The next day my taps would start to spudder and spit with low water pressure, then no water would come out at all.They put a new pump in , and then they also found that there was two leaks in both of the two corrugated hoses that run between the two fresh water tanks. so they fixed that .All is good now. The techs were telling me that they had other problems with this issue on other trailers.They also took out the water regulators in all the taps , so now the water flows much quicker. the tech said it would be fine to do that , because the taps are rated to handle over 100 psi , and our pump will only push out 45 psi. As for the the holes that they cut out in the under belly to work on the tanks. When they were done the put patches back over them with the same stuff that the under belly is made of (black plastic coated cardboard ) .
They also put some strong type of adhesive , then they put tiny screws all the way around the two patches. looks great now. I hope this helps a bit.
donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Site Team

One nice thing about NOT having the enclosed underbelly is that all 3 tanks and the waste plumbing are clearly visible for inspection and should a leak develop the water would simply fall to the ground. The interior plumbing is of course a different story. But I do like the easy access to things on mine. Of course it is not a 4 season trailer but I have camped down to 25 degrees.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac250 View Post
I had a problem also, sort of like that.I have just bought a fb22 jayco jay flight, I have had it for less then a month.I would filler up with water and it would be ok for awhile .The next day my taps would start to spudder and spit with low water pressure, then no water would come out at all.They put a new pump in , and then they also found that there was two leaks in both of the two corrugated hoses that run between the two fresh water tanks. so they fixed that .All is good now. The techs were telling me that they had other problems with this issue on other trailers.They also took out the water regulators in all the taps , so now the water flows much quicker. the tech said it would be fine to do that , because the taps are rated to handle over 100 psi , and our pump will only push out 45 psi. As for the the holes that they cut out in the under belly to work on the tanks. When they were done the put patches back over them with the same stuff that the under belly is made of (black plastic coated cardboard ) .
They also put some strong type of adhesive , then they put tiny screws all the way around the two patches. looks great now. I hope this helps a bit.
They also removed the wet insulation and put new stuff in.
Make sure that the dealer removes the wet insulation.They should know better !!!!
donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #14

I'd be really concerned that all the moisture from the wet insulation would soak into the underside of the plywood floor, causing it to delaminate and get mold and mildew. You should insist that they rip out the insulation (while you're there so you can inspect the underside of the trailer for mold and mildew). If the plywood is in good shape, then have them replace the insulation and underbelly.
Like already said, it might take a call directly to Jayco customer service.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #15

Dealer doesn't fix it right, and after the second time... CALL JAYCO and get authorized to see a local expert! Our brakes have since been fixed correctly by the local brake guy vs. service techs at the dealer. We love our Jayco, but aren't necessarily thrilled about having a "tech" deal with some issues that are better handled by someone who is trained or more qualified to rectify some warranty issues.

Also, let Jayco know what's going on. Let them know your dissatisfaction with the dealer, concerns about quality control, etc. Call them, but also follow up with written corespondance. They can only attempt to change what it is they become aware of
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #16

This is tough one to read. I just can't believe that this would be how a service
department would operate. I agree with the idea of getting hold of Jayco. It seems to me you traded a new trailer for a used one. I would tell Jayco that I would like a new trailer returned to me. The dealership insists that it is as good as new , good than there wouldn't be any problem trading this new one for the new one in the show room. I would think that dealerships would have insurance for this type of thing. I agree that stuff happens sometimes. That doesn't mean that you should have to take a loss. In reality the value of your trailer is now less than one that didn't expierece this. If they had been up front and said what can we do to make this right by you, I would have worked something out. Please keep us informed and print out a copy of the correspondence all of us here and send it to Jayco. Most new owners here take this stuff pretty serious. I hope Jayco will do the right thing and square things with you and send a letter of notice to the non-service dept. Good luck. Richard
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Please keep us informed and print out a copy of the correspondence all of us here and send it to Jayco. Most new owners here take this stuff pretty serious. I hope Jayco will do the right thing and square things with you and send a letter of notice to the non-service dept. Good luck. Richard
Richard has a good point. A while back, several members PM'ed me to let me know they had good results passing on some of the different threads regarding linguring issues and suggestions to rectify them that they had to Jayco with positve results.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #18

Unhappy

thanks for everyones input. i will let everyone know how this turns out. i was(am) giving the dealer one more chance to make it right but have not heard from them yet. we are going away for part of the summer pretty soon but will contact jayco before then to discuss this if dealer does not contact me. my problem sounds very similar to donnymacs. freshwater fill and i also quit drawing water from the tank plus very wet insulation . sounds like his dealer fixed it a lot better than mine.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #19

Smile

hello everyone,

received a phone call from our dealer yesterday. even though the service department does not seem to think soaked insulation is a problem others at the dealership think otherwise. so they will go in and replace the insulation and get it fixed right. thank you for everyones input.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #20

Great news! Persistence pays offs!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote