Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Solar Ready trailer, what sort of solar panel do we need?

We are buying a 2018 Hummingbird 17RK. It's solar ready. Not being familiar with how these work, so what size panel would we need?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Marie
momofcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Check out this area of the forum for SOLAR http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #3

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Check out this area of the forum for SOLAR http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html
Appreciate the quick reply
momofcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

So what is the name of the connector on the trailer so I can get solar and controller that will connect to the TT without modification?

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Common connectors for "solar ready" are simple SAE plugs.
Some "solar ready" units indicate that connection is on the roof, while others mount on the outside bulkheads or near the tongue of the trailer, near the batts.

Non roof connectors are mostly used for portable solar "suitcase" style units.
The connector is pre wired to the batteries and one simply plugs in the SAE connector from the panel controller.

I use a Go Power 120 W suitcase portable and I can say without hesitation......get one or similar.
That panel keeps 2 Trojan T-105's topped up day in and day out......
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Common connectors for "solar ready" are simple SAE plugs.

Non roof connectors are mostly used for portable solar "suitcase" style units.
The connector is pre wired to the batteries and one simply plugs in the SAE connector from the panel controller.

I use a Go Power 120 W suitcase portable and I can say without hesitation......get one or similar.
That panel keeps 2 Trojan T-105's topped up day in and day out......
Thank you for this information! I have been digging online for it, and it is NOT common knowledge--lots of unsure answers out there.

1. Most solar panels have something like the MC4 connectors, so I need an adapter to SAE--did not know what it was called until now!
2. "one simply plugs in"...I could not get this info anywhere either, including the dealer. But I suspected as much by tracing my wires.
3. QUESTION for you: why the go power panel? It is substantially more expensive than say...

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-.../dp/B009Z6CW7O

...but the specs are very similar. Do you know of a reason this simple panel would not work very well if I propped it up?

I am trying to keep budget as small as possible. Just bought a new Jay Flight, first trailer, and the accessory bills are adding up!!

THANKS for the info you already posted, and please let me know if you can answer my additional question.
jhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

My solar controller came with the right 2 prong with a red and a black wire. If you're does not AutoZone and orreillys both carry the plug. Just take note if the red is male or female and buy the right one of the two. One of the two will be just like the one on the camper.
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

The Renogy panel would work fine, I bought 2 and mounted it on my x213. The panels a very rigid. You could easily fabricate legs and attach them to the mounting holes. Thing to watch is the controller you get. Mine came with a 30 amp charge controller and the go power is rated for 20 amp, easy enough, and cheap enough, to get a different controller if neccessary. check your bag of owner manuals, mine had the pigtail for the Jack in there. That panel does phenominal, even in cloudy days!!
mrkarl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #9

On the smaller trailers the solar ready is a simple SAE plug on the tongue of the trailer. Jayco would ideally like for you to get a ready built Renogy, Zamora or other name brand panel complete with a controller on the back of it. It is very important to have a controller so as to not over charge your battery. You may also need an MC4 to SAE adapter. SAE is very easy to plug/unplug while MC4 is more work.
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Solar Ready trailer, what sort of solar panel do we need?

We have a Hummingbird RB I first bought the Renogy 100 and returned it. Felt cheap and was too large. Decided on the GoPower 120. Folds nicely fits in the front compartment perfectly. Also it came with every cable attachment I would ever need. Really happy with it and use it all the time boondocking.
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote