Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Someone forgot to drain the water heater

I wont mention any names but it appears the hot water heater on my 154bh has a giant crack in it. Any idea how complex the process of replacing it would be?

Is it something I can order and swap out myself? Im pretty handy and it appears to be little more than a gas line and a few water lines.

Any suggestions as to where I can obtain a new unit would be greatly appreciated.
humbleguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

It does seem pretty straight forward. If you can wait for delivery, I would go to the Internet

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Bummer! Its been a few years, but Ive been there. If you dont have a local RV dealer/store you like, you could do a google search of the make and model of your water heater. Ive purchased several items from Etrailer.com over the winter and it included free shipping. You may also be able to just replace the tank if you look hard enough... I sent ours out when it cracked, but looking back on it, it appears that they bolt from the outside and just slide out. Im sure its a job someone could handle if they are remotely handy. Good luck! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

I had to replace the one on my 04 Jay Feather. Purchased the 04 as a handy man special. Easy to replace and I got mine thru e-bay Atwood old one was the pilot type new one has DSI was about 325.00 for the new heater. Was thinking of just replacing the tank Not an easy as it seems. Was better off in the long run with a new DSI heater.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

We had a leak in the Suburban water heater in our old hybrid a few years ago, right in the middle of a week's camping. Found a replacement heater at a parts dealer about an hour away and changed it myself right in the campground. It only took about half a dozen trips to the hardware store in a nearby town to get this part or that tool. One gas line, two water lines and three wires. It's not an experience I'd want to repeat, but at least now I know how to do it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

So long as you are not under the gun or having to replace it in a CG like Geoff, it's an easy DIY project.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Yeah I replaced the in laws last night it was very simple... However I am a licensed master plumber 😀
T bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Tbone, you must be a master, because I spent the morning wrestling the unit out of the trailer. then when it got down to pulling the tank off the shroud, started bending up the shroud and generally munging things up. My take is, buy a whole new unit, save the tank swap outs for people who have waaaay more time and patience than money. I am just going to buy a whole new unit and toss the old one. I was trying to not be wasteful, but there really isn't that much to a unit.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

Oh yeah, thank you everyone for your quick responses. It is very comforting to have some experienced advice in the middle of these projects.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

I just replaced the tank on my tent trailer (Atwood 6 gallon G6A-7) - only did the tank instead of the full unit because it was half the cost...

The easy part is getting it out of the trailer. About 16 screws and disconnect the gas line and inside water lines (inlet/outlet) and then fight through the butyl putty to get it out of the trailer.

The tank is attached to the shroud with compression rings - I had to cut them to separate the two. The replacement tank included 4 new rings, foam gaskets, a new pressure release valve.

The hardest part of the assembly is the compression rings - they are a PITA to say the least to get them on. I had to file the edges of the heater/exhaust tubes to a rounded edge to get them started. Then using a 2x2 piece of wood, gently tapped them down the pipe to their final resting spot. At that, I still split two of the rings. Probably spent over 2 hours doing this.

I used teflon tape on all of the threads and had leaks on the thermostat and inlet and outlet lines. Went and got some pipe thread compound at Lowes and re-did all of the connectors with it and had no leaks.

So long story short, replacing just the tank probably took me about 8 hours between all of the putzing around. If you don't want to waste the time and have the extra couple hundred $$$...then do the whole thing and save yourself the headaches and time.
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #11

On ours, I had to replace the whole assembly, not just the tank -- a quirk of the Suburban design, I guess. Everything is one piece.

A trip into town to use the library's free internet to get the number of a mobile RV repair company that I know about. A quick call told me that their fees would be prohibitively expensive. Another search to find the names and locations for RV parts places. One was a dealer in a small city about an hour away. We drove there, and they said they don't have any water heaters in stock, but could get one in in a few days, but that was the day we were going home. I ask them if they knew anywhere else I could get one. They gave me Len's Alternative RV Sales in Brandon MB (I highly recommend them!) and they were only a short drive away. We found them quite easily and they had a stack of water heaters in their shop, new in the box. We bought one and brought it back with us.

Removing the heater from the trailer was easy. Disconnect the wires (I took a photo of the configuration before doing so), shut the gas off and disconnect it, and remove the two water lines. Then remove the dozen or so screws holding the heater in place, and pull it out. But the big problem was removing the brass fittings that connected the water lines to the heater. They had pipe threads on either end, but the end that threaded into the tank was seized. I had to cut the rest off and drive into town show it to the guys at the hardware store. Me, not knowing any better, accepted what they sold me which was totally wrong, and took it back just to find out it wouldn't work. Another trip into town to exchange it for two short galvanized pipe nipples which did work, back to the campground only to find that the pilers I had weren't good enough to tighten the fittings into the new tank, so back to the store for a pipe wrench -- I thought ahead this time and bought a few more things I thought I would need, and I'm glad I did. Once I had everything I needed, it was a pretty easy job of putting it all back together.

Basically two days of our vacation gone to do a task that I could have done in an afternoon had it happened in my driveway at home. The next time DW asks, "Why is there water running across the floor?" I guess I'll know the answer.

And the problem with the old water heater? It looked like water somehow infiltrated in between the tank exterior and the styrofoam insulation, and rusted the tank from the outside in. The anode still had over 50% of its material left.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #12

The tank can be welded back. Google it.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #13

So now that the the hot water heater has been replaced I noticed that the plastic valve between the hot and cold water hoses is leaking. There is also a little black bit of rubber sticking out from the bottom of the valve, opposite side from the on/off knob. I presume the frozen water expanded things and pushed the gasket out. ANYHOO, any idea where I can get a replacement? I checked all over the internet and found nothing similar.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Try snapping it back together.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
154bh, travel trailer, water heater