Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Squeaky Floor in my Jayflight 19bh

Certain spots of the floor seem to squeak. Pretty annoying. In front of the jaysteel sofa is one. In front of the dinette is another and in the middle of the floor near near the stove area is the last one. I dont think its a leveling issue, I have it pretty level as we speak. The camper has the ducted heat in the floor. Is this something I should be concered with? It is brand new and still under warranty. Should I have this checked?
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

you should have it checked

We had a issue with our 2009 28bhs just in front of the fridge , there was a heat duct there also.

The dealer ended up putting in a extra support under that section of the floor under warranty

Give your dealer a call and see what they say

Hope everything works out

Happy Camping

2012 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7lt diesel 6 speed 3.73 rear end

2011 Jayco 32BHDS with Rear kitchen and 2013 jayco x17z hybrid Previous units , 2010 jayco 1007 Trent trailer , 2009 Jayco 28bhds , 2004 Jayco 8U Tent Trailer , 1977 Corsair TT, 1970?? tent trailer, Pop Up Palomino Truck Camper
chrisvandette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Chris, just last week I noticed a squeek right in front of the fridge. I asked Don if he noticed it before and said yes, but can't remember when he heard it for the first time. We will contact our dealer
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

that's the ticket-- mine developed one near the bunk. Since it was out of warranty I went under the trailer and shored it up myself with angle iron and welded it snug up against the flooring from beam to beam.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #5

We had the same problem with our 2009 G2 29RLS. Jayco approved repair by the dealership but it included cutting the vinyl flooring along the cabinets and detaching the carpet along the other side of the vinyl floor. The dealership fixed the squeaks, put a piece of quarter-round trim over the cut edge of the vinyl along the base of the cabinets BUT did a very poor job of re-attaching the carpet edge that had been detached--the carpet edge looked like small nails had been driven into it to hold it in place rather than relying on carpet tack strips. The technician who did the repairs also damaged the exterior of the trailer by leaving a metal ladder propped against it--a wind storm blew through and the ladder rubbed the finish off the exterior siding from the bottom to the top of the trailer. The dealership made it right by ordering us a new 29RLS.

Make sure you have the dealership explain to you exactly how they are going to make the repairs and warn them about the need to have a skilled carpet layer re-attach any carpet that may need to be detached.

I am fairly certain that this is a common problem with the longer Jaycos. The floor appears to be composed of several sections of plywood that butt up against one another and the squeaking occurs when weight is put on first one section and then another. Jayco could easily prevent the squeaking by inserting a buffer strip of dense foam between sections--think of expansion joints in driveways constructed of concrete.

Our 2010 G2 29RLS has the squeaking floor issue but we are going to live with it rather than risk having another repair that ends up being less than pleasing cosmetically.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Texas Sam Quote - I am fairly certain that this is a common problem with the longer Jaycos. The floor appears to be composed of several sections of plywood that butt up against one another and the squeaking occurs when weight is put on first one section and then another. Jayco could easily prevent the squeaking by inserting a buffer strip of dense foam between sections--think of expansion joints in driveways constructed of concrete.

Yes. You explained this perfectly. That is exactly what mine is doing. Seems like there is no real defect here then. Just a design flaw. I may just live with the squeaking. I was worried maybe I had water damage or something. I will moniter it over the next year or so. If it gets worse, i will bring it in. Luckily Jayco gives us a better warranty than most that allows time for problems to occur that can still be covered.
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

I've had a squeak on my 2010 22FB since day one. It's really annoying, it wakes people in the night.

I'm skeptical about having my dealer fix it, I have no idea of the workmanship skills when it comes to finished surfaces (lino).

Is this a simple job of making a small slit in the lino over a cross-beam, screwing in a couple of screws, and using lino type glue with some heavy weight on-top until it cures?
xciton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

My floor squeaks some, mostly up next to the queen bed. Other than that I don't notice any, and I'm not really that worried about it. I'm used to squeaky floors. :hihi:

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #9

Our brand new 2011 26BH squeaks in front of the sofa and next to the dinette also. I'm going to bring it up to the deals when I have the other warranty issues looked at.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Squeaks seem to come and go in mine, disappearing then reappearing somewhere else. I think the flexing of traveling/leveling may have something to do with that. Nothing I can`t live with.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #11

I have a squeak in the floor also,right in frt of the heat vent in frt of bathroom sink. Was worryed about rot with finding the roof rotted, but feel better after reading this.

05 Jay Flight 29bhs
cummins man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins man View Post
I have a squeak in the floor also,right in frt of the heat vent in frt of bathroom sink. Was worryed about rot with finding the roof rotted, but feel better after reading this.
What happened to your roof to cause it to rot?
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote