Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Stabilizer jacks

We just took our new small JayFlight SLX 195 out for the first time. My husband was comparing our factory installed single arm stabilizer jacks to the stronger scissor jacks on the "big boys" & was wondering if the added weight would be worth changing them out for the increased stability. Has anyone done that? Any ideas ?
movinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

The stabilizer jacks are meant for only that - stabilizing, not lifting or leveling. After unhitching and leveling your trailer, lower the stabilizers and put enough "down" force until you just notice the trailer begin to move up - but not enough to affect leveling.

The big-boys you refer to that use scissors jacks should also not be using them for leveling, but have heavier jacks as stabilizers. Here's the thing - almost all trailer frames are designed to be supported mainly the axles, with stabilizers keeping the frame from flexing when you move around in it. Any upward force on the corners by jacks can twist the frame. In time, that can affect the seams at corners, around windows and doors (on fiberglass sides), and where the roof meets the sides. Also - doors may not close or latch properly.

If your trailer is level and you put the correct amount of pressure on the stabilizers, it should all be good.

Just my experienced opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

X2 what Mike said! Stabilizing means that it won't bounce around when you are camping in it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Put something under the stabilizers so they don't have to be let out so far. The farther they are extended the less stability they provide.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Thanks all. Right after I posted the "stabilizer jacks" question, I found an earlier thread that addressed the same question; so that was helpful too.
But part of my husband's concern is that our single axle only has stabilizers in the back. He's a big guy and felt some wobble when he moved around in it.
movinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

I know when we bought our new 33RLDS I read the instruction in the BAL booklet and it says that you CAN use the BAL to level the trailer, One thing it does say is don't use the BAL to lift the tires off of the ground. Been leveling the trailer like this for over 6 years. no problems so far. Mostly within 2 inches.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

Scissors jack only for the above post
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

We have scissor stabilizers at the corners, 2 BAL X chocks to help with lateral motion, and I use 2 bottle jacks under the frame between the wheels to help with the bounce.

With all of that, we can still feel when the kids roll over in bed. It's hard to get all of the motion out of a TT.

I would suggest trying two scissor stabilizers for the front where you don't have anything.
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote