Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Stabilizer Jacks

Hello!

New to the forum and would am seeking some advice:

I have a semi-new 2014 Jayflight SLX Baja. I took it out for the first time over the weekend and set it up on some un-even ground in a camp area.

I unsuccessfully tried to level the trailer using the stabilizer jacks, and ended up bending one of the stabilizers.

In hindsight, I realized that was a dumb idea. After doing some research I understand now that leveling must be done using a wheel block or something similar, and stabilizers are used for just that: stabilizing.

Could I have cause any significant frame damage by doing so? It seems as if the stabilizers bore the brunt of the mistake (they do seem pretty flimsy), but then again, my trailer only weights 2500 lbs.

All the jacks are still in working order, just a little tweaked and bent.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #2

Now that you know not to use them for leveling. All you can do is level trailer correctly.

Then use the stabilizers and see if the stabilizers still work like you want.

Putting blocks under the stabilizer to limit the travel helps with the stability of them.

All you can do is try the stabilizers and see if you did to much damage for them to work. (Driveway job)

I doubt you did any damage to the trailer itself but do a close inspection to be sure see is anything else was bent.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #3

the jacks are for stability not leveling, you should level your rig prior to putting down the jacks. I use a level and adjust the side to side with leveling blocks under the tires, and then adjust the tongue jack for level. Once I'm level side to side and front and back, I then put down my stabilizer jacks. Never use them to level your TT. Since the jacks bent, you may be ok with the frame since the jacks took the weight
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the responses. I figured the damage is limited to the Jack's themselves, but wanted to double check with more experienced RV'ers.

Another thing I noticed when the one jack buckled under pressure, is that a small amount of water leaked out from the same corner of the trailer. Could this have been due to the tilting of the trailer?
eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

did it leak out, or come off of the roof from the AC? If it came from the bottom of the TT, then I would go get it checked, you may have a leak from inside and it drained when it was tilted
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote