Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Stabilizer Jacks used for leveling?????

I just purchased a 2015 Jay-Flight 23MB and during my demo, the tech said that I COULD use the stabilizer jacks to level my rig. This goes against the owners manual and everything I've researched.... So is my tech wrong? After all, he DOES work for the best RV dealership in my Area(Cincinnati OH). Thanks!
griffimw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

Sorry, your tech is mostly wrong and you should go by the manual. The stabilizers are designed to do just that, stabilize the TT. That being said, it's probably okay using the stabilizers to fine tune level after you have it almost level..at least that's what I do. Leveling blocks are okay but I want it exactly level and I use the jacks, but not very much pressure. You want to level the TT side to side first, then raise/lower the hitch to level front to back.
After a few tries, you will figure it out.
And welcome to the Forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here for you to use. Happy camping!
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

Like havnfun said your tech is mistaken. Level side to side by backing onto leveling blocks then level front to back with the tongue jack. Then deploy the stabilizer jacks and fine tune the level. That is why they are called stabilizer jacks and not leveling jacks.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

well my stabilizer jacks on the 2015 338 rets run both rear from one switch and pressure is only finally applied once both touch the ground I don't see how I could fine tune the level with that being the case same with the front ... I just used the leveling blocks and tongue jack to level then ran them down .... did stabilize well though
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #5

well it depends on how you level side to side I have blocks I pull on to to level side to side so if you have the tongue jack down how do you pull it onto blocks
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

for me this is my list ... I back into sight about where I want it to be... then I get out and check side to side level ... I put blocks in front of wheels and pull onto them to level side to side then I chock the wheels ... take the trailer off hitch and raise or lower tongue jack until I am level front to rear... then I put the stabilizers down ...plug it in and finally open slides... just the way I do it ... seems to work well
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Yep. I only "tweak" using the stabilizer jacks to fine tune the side-to-side level.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #8

Stabilizer Jacks used for leveling?????
Attached Images

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

I remember when I picked up my TT the tech went over it. He said that the stabilzer jacks were not meant for leveling and then explained how to level it. His method was pretty much the same way that Paintenfool3 posted. I haven't used leveling blocks but thats because I don't mind it not being perfect and so far haven't been in a site that was too far out of level. My test for level is simple. I check that the bathroom door opens/closes properly and then place a rubber ball on the floor to see how fast it rolls away. If its a slow roller, I'm good.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #10

They are not for leveling...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
for me this is my list ... I back into sight about where I want it to be... then I get out and check side to side level ... I put blocks in front of wheels and pull onto them to level side to side then I chock the wheels ... take the trailer off hitch and raise or lower tongue jack until I am level front to rear... then I put the stabilizers down ...plug it in and finally open slides... just the way I do it ... seems to work well
That's exactly what I do. I've found that if I put too much pressure on the stab-jacks, I have trouble aligning the latch on my door. As a side note, I've found that if my trailer is "too level", I get water puddeling in the sink or shower. So, I "level" with the nose slightly high, and all is good.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

that's brilliant brownie level off a little to the drain side of things I will have to try that next time thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

Thanks Brownie, this forum is just the best for all this important info we all need to know.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #14

I have found that with electric jacks I can't do any fine tuning like I could with the crank up jacks on our other trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #15

Just read the actual owners manuel for our trailer and it states do not use to level trailer. Also read the paperwork the came with the BAL stabilizers and it says that the jacks are used to level and stabilize the trailer. When I bought a extra set of BAL to put in front of the front wheels it it stated the same thing, to level and stabilize. But under that it was written that do not lift excessive weight. I have used the jacks to fine tune the leveling.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #16

Before we had our TT we had a used popup. There was nobody to explain to us what the stabilizers were for and I kept trying to use them as levelers.. I always had problems with the doors not aligning up, etc.. Even bent the rod used to adjust them.. Not until I got into a TT and read the instructions did I realize that they were only for stabilizing.. Like a few others here have said.. I level side to side with blocks. Then front to back with the jack.. (All the time with a level inside the door).. Takes just a few min. to do.. Afterwards drop the stabilizers and make sure they are snug.. and we are good to go.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #17

Which type of stabilizers you have will also make a difference. The "Y" type cannot take the load that the scissor type can.

My rig came with the scissor type. I use blocks to level side to side and the stabilizers to tweak it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #18

yeah I have the y type ... the scissor jacks are jacks and they could tweak it like you say I would probably need a 3 ton on each corner to tweak mine lol
Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Careful with this method, ours goes out of level if we do it before we run the slide out. We just compensate for it by running the slide side of the trailer just a tad higher (if we really want to fine-tune) then when the slide runs out, it settles right into place...

Also, we plug in as soon as we possibly can (DW does it while I'm unhitching) and get the AC running to cool the trailer down.

Other than those two little details, this is exactly how we do it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

well ours had one slide on each side in rear living area that both weigh about the same and the front bedroom slide isn't that heavy so it works for us our old one had one superslide and that could shift weight a little