Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

Stain color in 2017 28BHBE

Does anyone know the specific stain color on most of the wood in the 2017 Jay Flight 28 BHBE?

Doing some interior mods and would like to get a similar stain as rest of wood. I know I could take cabinet door into Lowe's and put it next to each can til I got one that's close, but I was just curious what Jayco calls it.

Picture attached.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170213_233522643.jpg  
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Ted, I'd like to know as well for some projects planned for this spring.

You might be able to take the door into home depot or Lowe's and try to match the stain up against samples at the store.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #3

Only problem with the colors in the trailers, most are not real wood, or have veneers over MDF, so when you make mods with real wood, the stain that you choose often reacts to real wood different than expected.

A few years ago, I broke one of the stiles on my overhead cabinets, I had to replace the 1x4 with hardwood, luckily I have a planer and jointer, which makes it easy to get the exact dimensions.

The problem was matching the color. What looks right, absorbs differently in most types of wood, making it difficult.

I took several pieces of scrap wood and tested mixing stain colors until I found a suitable match. To get the right color, I also had to wait till it was dry as the wood changes until cured.

The only way you could tell was if someone pointed it out.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

I'm afraid I can't help with a particular stain name/color. However, I would caution you that even if Jayco gave you the specific brand and color, that still may not provide a perfect match. When trying to color match a bit of trial and error is often the only way.

If I use the same stain on two boards of different species the color will usually end up looking different. Even if I use it on two boards of the same species taken from different logs, two boards from the same log sanded to a different finish, or from the same log with different cuts (quarter-sawn vs flat-sawn) the color may end up looking different.

For me, close is usually good enough for my utilitarian sensibilities. My wife is a bit more picky (hence how I've learned some of the items above...). Good Luck.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1928 View Post
I'm afraid I can't help with a particular stain name/color. However, I would caution you that even if Jayco gave you the specific brand and color, that still may not provide a perfect match. When trying to color match a bit of trial and error is often the only way.

If I use the same stain on two boards of different species the color will usually end up looking different. Even if I use it on two boards of the same species taken from different logs, two boards from the same log sanded to a different finish, or from the same log with different cuts (quarter-sawn vs flat-sawn) the color may end up looking different.

For me, close is usually good enough for my utilitarian sensibilities. My wife is a bit more picky (hence how I've learned some of the items above...). Good Luck.
I totally agree with you. I build things out of wood and understand how some woods look different with same stain.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Ted, I'd like to know as well for some projects planned for this spring.

You might be able to take the door into home depot or Lowe's and try to match the stain up against samples at the store.
I ended up doing that. It matched up almost perfect for one project, but not the other. Different species of wood.

I took microwave out, knocked that wall out above it and framed a shelf in with cheap pine plywood.. I'm going to put bread and other things up there. Then, I built a stove top cover. It didn't match up to well with stain. It's built out of all oak plywood and hardwood for sides.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170213_131901788.jpg   IMG_20170213_132023328.jpg   IMG_20170214_141946006.jpg   IMG_20170216_132639705.jpg  
Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #7

It's just trial and error as far as stains go but you'll end up with a real close match and by your 2nd trip out you'll never notice it. I took the stove out, moved the wave down and refinished a cabinet door and made 4 drawers. Now you might notice the difference but for me it all blends in and we ended up with exactly what we wanted. Ended up with a 7' counter top, ample drawer space and it works for us. The butane cook tops (2) we use both inside and outside and take one to the beach for those sunset meals.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg