Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
Originally Posted by tdk2765 View Post

My question is,: Just what sort of water intrusion is most likely, so I should be most vigilant about? (From roof, from bottom, from sides?)
Any place you see caulk in particular:

Windows, vent, clearance lights, roof , mouldings.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
The best preventative maintenance is to have a leak test conducted every year. Stick and tin uses more fasteners, has more points open to water, and its wooden construction is not happy when water is introduced. A leak test is cheap insurance, IMO.

I was going to get a 34RSTS JayHawk so I have no problems with stick and tin. I just liked the Eagle floor plan better.

2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C 15K BTU, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods
I agree that preventative maintenance is the key to reducing problems and extending the life of the trailer, but I think that also means taking on some responsibility for it yourself, which means up-skilling yourself and research this stuff carefully as you are doing to assess their quality and potential for problems.

About 16,000 lbs more or less gets you into full-time quality unit. Quality is heavy, IMAO.

I worked at an RV rental repair dealership for about 3 months. We had entry level quality motorhomes, mostly gas C's and some gas A's. I got them road ready after a rental and I would average about 4 a day. We had, for example, these pressed wood doors, which we were constantly repairing, and coming up with creative fixit solutions. We called them junk (c..p), but others would love them I'm sure. But I'm guessing that each rental basically was used about as much in one year as others might use them in about eight years, so we saw them under extreme usage conditions. Some people were kind and some kicked the crap out of them.

So, you could say I'm very sensitive to quality vs need for repairs vs on the road time, and whine time waiting in line at dealerships...er wine???

By the way, I'm retired and my goal was to get hands on experience, buy the right tools, and see how things work, and then I got out of there.

Loved my air compressor for all kinds of get it back on the road stuff. The goal was to fix it just good enough to get it out the door. The magical air compressor tools.

As you might guess, even though I'm very good at fixing entry level, I'm not likely to buy an entry level RV/tt/5th, and I'm very likely to buy a premium used dp this year, but yes a seneca and a 5th/truck have not disappeared from my mind. Wife's input is critical.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods
There are lots of internet training videos on how to look outside and inside for water problems.

At one consignment lot, I could see evidence of water intrusion under a window, the salesman said he knew all about water intrusion and said it was not water intrusion. So, I asked him if he would put in writing that he guaranteed there was no water intrusion anywhere and would pay to fix it if so, and he walked away kind of muffed up. I went and told him off about his bs claims to be an expert. Love a good tell off.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote