Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Stocking a TT - looking for advice

We will be settling on a 2011 Jay Feather 29L (with outside kitchen) this week. Being a first time RV'er, I am interested in receiving feedback on what you have learned are (1) must have items when camping beyond the obvious stuff that a newbie might very well overlook on their first trip, regret and might even have to run to the store, and (2) items that aren't necessities but are very nice to have if you have some extra cash.

P.S. We do own the Honda 2000W "quiet" generator.
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved from new member forum.

This thread discussed the top 10 must haves, and then some.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=haves
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Take a short trip first. In my opinion your necessities get broken down into several categories, things for the trailer, things to fix things and things for you.

For the trailer you need.
* Sewer hose and fittings
* Fresh water line and inline filter
* Chocks
* Wood (or leveling blocks) to level the trailer
* A level to know when you are level
* Rubber gloves
* A couple of storage bins
* Broom & Dustpan
* Chairs, and table
* Garbage can and bags
* Beding, pillows, sheets, blankets, towels
* Flash light & Batteries
* Rope
* Chairs & Tables
* Dish soap, sponges & towels
* Something to wipe your feet on

Tools:
* Tools to change a tire (Jack, wrenches etc)
* Square head screw driver
* Hammer
* Tape
* Assorted screws
* Tire pressure gauge
* Some extra wire, fuses, nails, zip ties etc

Personal items
* Bug repellant
* Sun screen
* First aid kit
* Tweezers, alcohol & Q-Tipps
* Sewing kit
* Table clothes for park tables

Then of course Beer!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #4

Butane lighter sticks and/or matches.
Cookware and utensils.
I have a pair of heavy rubber gloves in case I've got something really nasty to deal with. For normal tank dumping I use disposable latex gloves.
knife and fork (don't ask why that's on my list).
Soap for the shower.
Torque wrench (for the wheel lugs).
Tire inflator (DC or AC since you have a gen). Probably don't need this for the first short trip, but.....
Nylyon says sewer host - 110% on that, the "starter" sewer hose I got with mine was pretty much useless (I keep it for backup).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

We picked up our new TT in Washington in mid December and towed it back to Wyoming. After buying everything we thought we needed in Washington I think we stopped at almost every Walmart on the way back to Wyoming buying things we needed for the RV. Seems like we always forgot something.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

I don't think the list ever stops so a pen and pad are always in the top ten for me. The list Nylon has above is a great start in the basics dept. From there you have to personalize the things.

The other things I like are totes. In the last TT I used the under the bed type totes with wheels which were long and flat. I then labled them on the sides with a sharpie so I could keep like things in them. I had a site setup tote, toys and outdoor games tote, hoses tote and sewer tote. Kept things in order and I could remove a tote if I did not need it for a certain trip to lessen the load.

x2 on the close trip or driveway camp close to stores so you can go with the list and buy what you need or want. Take a good look at sites around you and see if something looks like a neat thing and don't be affraid to ask about it.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Not necessary but a patio mat is nice. Anti freeze for winterizing. a water line blow out plug
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #8

We started by moving all our camping stuff we were using to tent camp. Cooking supplies, flashlights, camp chairs, and camp accessories.

I like Nylon's list. That is a great start.

One addition...

TEFLON TAPE!!!
joe_n_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

What is the teflon tape for?
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Teflon tape is a must

You wrap it around those pesky water hose connections that don't want to quit dripping and eventually create a nice mud hole in your campsite. A few wraps of the tape and poof - you are water tight!

Also helps with any other water connections that develop a drip.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #11

Good tip, thanks. My top 10 list is now about 73 items long!

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #12

One final thing, if you are new at backing up with a trailer, practice in an open lot first and maybe get walki-talkies to make communication a little easier. Sometimes (even with experienced wives) they hide in a blind spot and expect you to read minds when you're supposed to stop or turn left (when they really mean right but you'll be wrong in the interpretation....) Survey the site for low lying branches FIRST.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #13

You mentioned that you have a Honda generator. We just got our new TT this summer, and got a generator too.

We plan to boondock a lot (camp with no electricity), and we got the generator primarily to keep our battery charged up. And, to have AC power at least a portion of the day.

If you're planning to use your generator to charge your battery, you should know it's likely that the charger in your trailer isn't very efficient.

In my 2017 26bh, the WFCO brand charger/convertor is barely adequate if you're hooked to AC, but is totally inadequate to work with a generator, as it will take more than half a day of running the generator to charge a battery. With a better charger, like the Progressive Dynamics unit, it will only take 2 to 3 hours to charge. Huge difference.

The WFCO chargers claim to be "smart", but typically fail to put out the higher voltages needed for fast "bulk" charging.

I won't attempt a full explanation here, just giving you a heads up to research your charging system if you happen to be planning to boondock.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
You mentioned that you have a Honda generator. We just got our new TT this summer, and got a generator too.

We plan to boondock a lot (camp with no electricity), and we got the generator primarily to keep our battery charged up. And, to have AC power at least a portion of the day.

If you're planning to use your generator to charge your battery, you should know it's likely that the charger in your trailer isn't very efficient.

In my 2017 26bh, the WFCO brand charger/convertor is barely adequate if you're hooked to AC, but is totally inadequate to work with a generator, as it will take more than half a day of running the generator to charge a battery. With a better charger, like the Progressive Dynamics unit, it will only take 2 to 3 hours to charge. Huge difference.

The WFCO chargers claim to be "smart", but typically fail to put out the higher voltages needed for fast "bulk" charging.

I won't attempt a full explanation here, just giving you a heads up to research your charging system if you happen to be planning to boondock.
What he said ^^^

We were camphosts last summer and had no elec hookup. We had a generator, but didn't realize how poor the WFCO would be at charging our 2, group27 batteries. We had planed on running the generator no more than 4 hours every second or third day. In reality, we had to run the generator 2 to 4 hours every day just to keep the batteries charged to 12.4v. We even ran the generator 7 hours one day, but that achieved no real gain.

We will have the Progressive Dynamics unit before we attempt another long boondocking trip.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

Good feedback, but just making sure you're aware you're responding to a 5 year old thread and the OP may not be on the site any more.