Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #21

In a metal building next to the house.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #22

Ours stays outside. If there were an opportunity to store it inside, close to us, for a reasonable price, I would probably bite. $40/mo isn't that much more than we're paying now, so under cover for that price would be a deal maker. At some point, I'm going to band together with my neighbors to get the RV storage restriction removed from our HOA restrictions, then it will be in my back yard. And some day I'll build a nice decorated pole-barn type cover for it.... some day...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #23

Hey Bob, just my opinion, HOA's should be against the law.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #24

Hoa?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Hoa?
Home Owners Association

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Hey Bob, just my opinion, HOA's should be against the law.
They have their place, for example, I wouldn't necessarily want my neighbors parking their 1985 Ford rust bucket on blocks in their front yard. Doesn't do anything good for my property value, ya know?

But the real problem comes when there's a disagreement and neighbors become enemies. Ours is SO SUPER small (18 homes, soon to be 21) and relatively laid back, so we've managed to keep it relatively civil based on a general respect for each others' property and what we want the neighborhood to look like.

There is quite a bit of support for this change (I believe), so if we work it right, we can get it done and everyone will be happy. We're lucky to be small enough to do something about it instead of having it rammed down our throat by a management company or some other such nonsense.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Hoa?
You must not have one, Paul. Lucky you!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #28

I agree that HOAs are evil, however, I don't want to look at my neighbors camper and he probably won't want to look at mine. The cleaner the hood the better.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #29

The problem I have with HOAs is that too often it's run by swell-headed jerks and/or self-appointed Rules Police neighbors with no life. No, I don't have that problem (and never will but know a few that do.
'14 Denali XL
Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
The problem I have with HOAs is that too often it's run by swell-headed jerks and/or self-appointed Rules Police neighbors with no life. No, I don't have that problem (and never will but know a few that do.

It's off the subject, but if those people you know are so unhappy, they should volunteer to be a part of the solution instead of complaining about those who have stepped up to volunteer. Our HOA is completely home owner run by volunteers whose responsibility it is to ensure the rules WE ALL AGREED TO when we bought our property are complied with. Our members are more than welcome to bring their grievances and concerns forward for consideration or vote. But I can promise you the people that complain about the administration of our HOA the loudest are NOT the ones stepping forward to volunteer to be on the board. Most of them are far more interested in complaining about someone else than being part of the solution. Rant over, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #31

Quote:
You must not have one, Paul. Lucky you!
Never heard of one. Sounds like a strata committee but since I own my own property I have have no interest in listening to some association. How do they have any power?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Never heard of one. Sounds like a strata committee but since I own my own property I have have no interest in listening to some association. How do they have any power?
It's not about owning your property, I own my property too. An HOA is a legal entity with authority to compel you to abide by the rules that you agreed to when you purchased the property. It's not like you didn't know about them when you moved in. Many people hate them because they force you to do things like mow your lawn (Gasp!!!) or not store rusting hulks or toilets in your front yard (BLASPHEMY!!), or not paint your entire house flamingo pink (INSANITY I TELL YOU!). Some HOAs are managed by management companies, and those I would imagine are the ones that are complained about the loudest because the management company doesn't care who you are, their job is to enforce the covenants, and they will do so with an iron fist in some cases.

Some of them are pretty ridiculous in their requirements of homeowners, but again the rules are not a surprise. In our case (and many others), they are there to keep our neighborhood looking the way WE want it to look. I for one appreciate it because I worked WAY too hard for the money to buy my house to just let some entitled neighbor ruin my home by doing something monumentally stupid just because "they own that property and can do whatever they want to it".

Yes, there are rules, and homeowners are informed of them and agree to them before they sign on the line; if they want to live without rules, that's fine, there is plenty of acreage for sale in unincorporated areas of the county, go for it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #33

Regretably next to my house out in the elements
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #34

Camperbob, no offense, but I sense you might be - Well, let's get back on topic.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Camperbob, no offense, but I sense you might be - Well, let's get back on topic.
Agreed, that whole little tangent was WAY off topic. Point was that not all HOAs are bad and they serve a valid purpose.

Even more on point: If you can't currently store your RV at your house but you would like to, try to get the restrictions changed. That's what I'm going to do.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #36

Out in the back yard in the Hot Georgia sun with electric and water. Maybe one day get a pole barn over it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It's not about owning your property, I own my property too. An HOA is a legal entity with authority to compel you to abide by the rules that you agreed to when you purchased the property. It's not like you didn't know about them when you moved in. Many people hate them because they force you to do things like mow your lawn (Gasp!!!) or not store rusting hulks or toilets in your front yard (BLASPHEMY!!), or not paint your entire house flamingo pink (INSANITY I TELL YOU!). Some HOAs are managed by management companies, and those I would imagine are the ones that are complained about the loudest because the management company doesn't care who you are, their job is to enforce the covenants, and they will do so with an iron fist in some cases.

Some of them are pretty ridiculous in their requirements of homeowners, but again the rules are not a surprise. In our case (and many others), they are there to keep our neighborhood looking the way WE want it to look. I for one appreciate it because I worked WAY too hard for the money to buy my house to just let some entitled neighbor ruin my home by doing something monumentally stupid just because "they own that property and can do whatever they want to it".

Yes, there are rules, and homeowners are informed of them and agree to them before they sign on the line; if they want to live without rules, that's fine, there is plenty of acreage for sale in unincorporated areas of the county, go for it!

I didn't agree to any rules when I bought other then the normal bylaws that the city has. Those bylaws cover all the needed common sense basics.

Anything more and it's just people trying to force their views on others.

And sorry for getting off topic.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #38

This thread makes we want to go put a worn out sofa on my front porch. Just kidding

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #39

Thank you Jayco Camper for the info., very helpful.
Happy camping !!

Dan

2011 Tacoma
2013 Swift 185
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #40

Ours is on the side of the house. My next door neighbor has a Airstream Land Yacht parked on the side of theirs, and their daughter has a small egg-shaped trailer behind it. No HOA as you can imagine.

My friend has a camper on the side of his house that has an HOA, and the way he says he got around it was to have an exception built in by the builder before the houses are complete. Not sure exactly how that works and I don't have any plans to move, but maybe it helps.