Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Storage Covers

Hello
I've been considering a storage cover because we have such fierce winters here but I notice that only a few RV's have them on where I store mines. What are the opinions on storage covers and the pros/cons? How difficuly is it to get them sized properly? Is there a place that has them already sized for specific trailers?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
Hello
I've been considering a storage cover because we have such fierce winters here but I notice that only a few RV's have them on where I store mines. What are the opinions on storage covers and the pros/cons? How difficuly is it to get them sized properly? Is there a place that has them already sized for specific trailers?
Adco makes covers in several flavors, mild climate or wet climate, etc. They make them in specific sizes for trailers, fivers and MH's. A lot of people use plain old tarps. That is not recomended. Tarps will blow around, leaving marks on your rig. They also tend to trap moisture and promote mold growth. We live in a very snowy area, and all I've seen are tarps.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #3

I come from the 'no cover' camp. We've had 3 campers, all stored outside during the off season in our Wisconsin winters. Never had a cover. We just tilted them back a little so when the snow melts it would run off the back. I agree with Tom ^ about the possibility of trapping moisture. Plus the fact that the abrasion in the winds after a while can tear them when they rub up against things like the roof ladder, AC cover, antenna, awning, etc.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

those covers are another great way to separate you from your hard earned money. They can damage your RV more than protect it...

So I guess you can tell I vote to not use them..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

We have never covered a trailer either. I do have a cover for a 32' 5er that has only been used once. Once was with the original owner and now it us using up space in the shop.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

If you go by any r.v. dealer you wont see covers on any new or used tts
Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

I have the Adco and am very pleased. They breathe and are more of a UV protector. Our last TT got killed by the sun.
DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

I cover mine and plan to do so for as long as I own it. I have the Adco Tyvek cover and have been pleased so far. I'm not so much worried about the winters here in Texas, or the rain, but the sun is a killer. Almost every TT I've seen in the parks I visit is faded by the sun, and I plan to keep that from happening for as long as possible. I can't afford covered storage, so this is the next best thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
If you go by any r.v. dealer you wont see covers on any new or used tts
Cars and trucks on new dealers lots aren't covered either, but lots of us park them in the garage when we are at home. Will a vehicle or TT survive in the elements? Sure; they were designed to do so. That said, you can very easily tell the difference between a vehicle or TT that has been kept out of the weather, compared to one that lives outside its entire life.

Here is how my cover looks -

I also put a tarp over the propane tanks and my front toolbox, as well as covers on the wheels.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

We also like covering our trailer. We put it away clean, and when the cover comes off, it is nice and shiny and ready to go. The fiberglass and decals look much better than uncovered rigs of similar age in the storage yard we use. We had a cheap nonwoven cover first because we were not sure whether covering would be worth the time and effort. It had a three year guarantee, and lasted almost exactly three years before it so weak the wind blew it apart. We have since purchase a semi-custom fit sumbrella cover from CalMark. There is no comparison with the cheapie - stronger fabric, far superior zippers and hardware, and fits like a glove. This is it's third winter, and it still looks brand new. We have never had any problems with condensation or rubbing.
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. Spent $100 bucks on a tarp. So far have tied it back down and bought more bungy cords 3 times. Most grommets have ripped out and edges shredded. Might make it until spring but I doubt it. Wil consider opinions offered up for next year.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

When my Adco cover wears out, I'm thinking of getting one of the semi custom ones. I have had some problems with the adco rubbing and tearing the cover (not marking up the trailer). Have you had any issues with your CalMark? I have all of the sharp corners covered, but my cover has been wearing on even some of the curved surfaces...