Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Question Storing the sewer hose..

The bumper on my trailer has end caps that come off so the sewer hose can be stored there.

The problem is, the connectors on each end of the hose are too big to fit into the bumper.

I imagine I'm not the first one to notice this...

Am I supposed to remove the ends everytime I store it away? Or do I need to find a larger PVC pipe or something to store it?

For the record, this is the hose I'm trying to store:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

It will fit, I have same one. Take the orange part off the bottom that goes into the ground and store seperately. The camper side, you have to turn the corners into the corner of the storage slot.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Yep, as noted, you have to take the elbow off, but otherwise it fits by lining up the tabs on the connectors with the corners of the bumper. Check the tightness of the end caps, I had one vibrate loose and go away somewhere in Nevada. At least the hose stayed inside!
Some people drill a hole in the bumper into the inside flange of the cap, and then use a piece of wire to pin it into place. There are also end caps available that have a push-in center that expands the size, so it grips the inside of the bumper better.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

I have the same hose. I installed a fence post under the 5th wheel to store it. Put it right by the dump valves so everything is in one spot. I had the same fence post on my last TT and just transferred it to the 5er.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

You can leave the white part on too, just the orange part.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #6

As an aside, last weekend I pulled out my hose from the rear bumper and out came a 2 foot long mouse nest. I taped the holes in the end caps and am hoping for the best.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Yes it will fit as previously stated. It can be a little snug so I tied a short length of small diameter rope around one end to aid in its removal from the bumper storage.
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

I store a collapsable folding ladder in the bumper, and my sewer hose in a "fencepost", like goducks does, as noted above.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

...I have been storing mine in the bumper. Pulled it out on the last trip and noticed that the ribs of the hose were rubbed through where it was sitting in the bumper. Completely ruined the hose. It is only a year old.

I've been meaning to do something different, I've never liked the idea of putting the hose in there for fear of this exact reason (and possibly rusting out the bumper).

So, I bought a new hose and a storage tube designed to carry it...

64" E-Z Hose Carrier- Black - Valterra A04-0153XBK - Sewer Accessories - Camping World

Yes, I could have done the 4" fence post idea you've seen here in the forums...I just wanted to buy it and be done with it.

DON'T STORE IT IN THE BUMPER!!
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I have the same hose. I installed a fence post under the 5th wheel to store it. Put it right by the dump valves so everything is in one spot. I had the same fence post on my last TT and just transferred it to the 5er.
goducks, how have you attached the brackets to the 5th wheel frame? I am looking at doing something like that. Yours is exactly how I want to do mine but am at a quandry as to how to attach the threaded bolts.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #11

GypsumJim...the holes in the end caps are to allow air flow in the bumper. If they are closed off, you will trap moisture from the hose inside the *metal* bumper.

metal + water = rust.

Try end caps like these:

Amazon.com: Camco 40325 No Insect Bumper Cap Pack of 2 - No Saver: Automotive

It will keep the mice and bugs out and still ventilate...if you are going to store it there.
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post
...I have been storing mine in the bumper. Pulled it out on the last trip and noticed that the ribs of the hose were rubbed through where it was sitting in the bumper. Completely ruined the hose. It is only a year old.

I've been meaning to do something different, I've never liked the idea of putting the hose in there for fear of this exact reason (and possibly rusting out the bumper).

So, I bought a new hose and a storage tube designed to carry it...

64" E-Z Hose Carrier- Black - Valterra A04-0153XBK - Sewer Accessories - Camping World

Yes, I could have done the 4" fence post idea you've seen here in the forums...I just wanted to buy it and be done with it.

DON'T STORE IT IN THE BUMPER!!
I've only had my Jayco a couple months. Previously my old Kodiak had a small compartment that we put it in but the jayco lacks storage except the slide/pass thru. I will look at something else to prevent this...thanks for the heads up!
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

Am I the only one who stores it in the bed of my TV? We use full hookup sites, so this won't work for dry campers. After dumping my tanks I remove it from the trailer, run city water through a dedicated short run of hose, remove it from the site's sewer and put it all in a large leaf bag until we get home where I let it dry out. I had one of those heavy duty yellow Good Sams bags for two or three years. Yup, I'd rinse it, too.
No need to remove attachments or fuss with the bumper storage.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post
GypsumJim...the holes in the end caps are to allow air flow in the bumper. If they are closed off, you will trap moisture from the hose inside the *metal* bumper.

metal + water = rust.

Try end caps like these:

Amazon.com: Camco 40325 No Insect Bumper Cap Pack of 2 - No Saver: Automotive

It will keep the mice and bugs out and still ventilate...if you are going to store it there.
I get no ventilation anyway. The inside is all rusty now, even after only 1 year.

I plan to put screening in the caps, just didn't have some handy. I do have some at home though and will fix it next trip.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Am I the only one who stores it in the bed of my TV? We use full hookup sites, so this won't work for dry campers. After dumping my tanks I remove it from the trailer, run city water through a dedicated short run of hose, remove it from the site's sewer and put it all in a large leaf bag until we get home where I let it dry out. I had one of those heavy duty yellow Good Sams bags for two or three years. Yup, I'd rinse it, too.
No need to remove attachments or fuss with the bumper storage.
Do you leave it in your truck all year? Otherwise, you've gotta store it somewhere
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
Do you leave it in your truck all year? Otherwise, you've gotta store it somewhere
You're right. We live on several acres with several outbuildings, stalls, 2 barns. Biggest storage problem is keeping track of where I put stuff.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote