Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Storing the trailer for the Winter

Hi,

This weekend will be my last camping trip of this season, after that I will prepare my trailer to store it for the winter. My previous travel trailer was an A-liner type that I used to store in my garage, now it is a different story...

The trailer will be stored on those RV storage places.
I will winterize the trailer and put a cover on it.

Some people tell me that I need to lift the trailer as the tires can go bad, is that true?
Do I need to put the stabilizers down?
Any TIP to protect the trailer from bugs or other critters that can get inside?
Any other thing that I need to do?

Thank you!
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

Hello Marcel and welcome to trhe forum!!

Some people tell me that I need to lift the trailer as the tires can go bad, is that true?

ANSWER = I would not lift the trailer so the tires are off the ground. You can bend or twist the frame. I have left mine outside and on the ground for the past 3 years without a problem.

Do I need to put the stabilizers down?
ANSWER = If you feel you need to put them down, there is no harm in putting them down. You are only asking for another way for critters to entire your trailer. I leave mine up.

Any TIP to protect the trailer from bugs or other critters that can get inside?
ANSWER = My wife puts almost entire box of the "Bounce" fabric softner inside all compartments and cabinets. We leave all doors open including the cabinet doors. Small animals like dark areas to hide.

Any other thing that I need to do?
ANSWER = 1) You may want to consider tire covers (if it is sitting outside). This way the tires are protected against the UV rays of the sun while it sits all winter long.
2) Make sure you drain all the water out of your water heater
3) Pour the pink stuff down the drains to make sure you have the pink stuff in the P traps.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

If the tires are on pavement, then you are OK. If it is on the ground then get a couple of boards and drive your trailer on it, then cover your tires. You can put your stabilizers down if you wish but there is no need. Put steelwool in any openings under the trailer or in storage areas, and then you might bait a couple of traps and put them in cupboards. DO NOT LEAVE ANY FOOD IN TRAILER.

I have read too many horror stories about the damage that can be done if you cover your unit. I say don't. In the spring you can climb on the roof and give it a good cleaning, I did that last year but I think I will have someone do it next time as I don't like heights.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #4

Good advise given already. Do not put the stabilizers down, they won't be helping anything.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

What damage can be done by covering the trailer?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan28 View Post
What damage can be done by covering the trailer?
Do a Google search, but a few come to mind, moisture, mold, rubbing due to wind, etc. There are many more examples that are available on other RV sites.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

I always keep my stabilers down , helps support the trailer , I camp that way so I always park it that way

I try and keep my tires on a couple boards just to keep the tires off the grass/ rocks

I have covered the top of my first trailer ,since it was the old steel roof, with the new rubber roofs I never have worried about a cover for the trailer at all

I have max air covers on all my vents to protect them from the snow and leave the vents open just a hair to help keep the trailer ventilated and it helps stop moisture from building up in the trailer that can cause problems , we always keep a couple vents open when camping , we started that when we first started camping with out tent trailer, and we never have had a issue with moisture at all.

If the snow is over a foot or heavy snow(wet snow) i clean the snow off the roof except for about 1-2 inches so you do not dig into the rubber roof and cause a leak

and blow out all the water out of the water lines and water tanks and put some rv anti freeze in the p-traps and in the water lines.

I blow the water lines out in the spring then just flush and sanitize the water lines and water tanks doesn't take to long

you will find what works best for you

Camping in the winter is fun

Happy camping

2012 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7lt diesel 6 speed 3.73 rear end

2011 Jayco 32BHDS with Rear kitchen and 2013 jayco x17z hybrid Previous units , 2010 jayco 1007 Trent trailer , 2009 Jayco 28bhds , 2004 Jayco 8U Tent Trailer , 1977 Corsair TT, 1970?? tent trailer, Pop Up Palomino Truck Camper
chrisvandette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Camping in the winter is on my 'bucket list' .... !
Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #9

I have 4 more weekends left that I can spend at the trailer. I work every 3rd weekend and I have a business trip out of town on one of my off weekends.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #10

We've got year-round campgrounds here on the island - while we'll still need to winterize the trailer for a few weeks, I'm looking forward to winter-camping too!

I also don't suggest you cover the trailer...ah, but to each-his-own!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #11

I have stored my HTT with the Stabilizers down- worried about high winds which can whip down where I park it. I do not close mine until the last days....so that I can make sure that any mice who have bunked down can be discovered and removed. I also make sure to keep mine away from shrubs, trees, woods, whatever. My HTT is in the driveway and even though I know mice travel- they have to cover more open ground as opposed to "covered ground". The fabric sheets are key and going from a 17 foot to a 23 plus will require a box or more. I also put moth balls in key corners or possible entry paths- but not enough to start the whole camper from absorbing the smell.

Hearing others thoughts, and my own concerns over the years- let me bounce this off some of you- What if I put the stabilizers down a portion of the way, like maybe 3/4s for added mental support (maybe actual support) in case of winds? This unit is about 5300 lbs compared to the 2800 on my smaller- so I would think it would take one big hurricane to move it. Safe to even bypass lowering at all?

MTKEG
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #12

We just purchased a Jay Feather 21M HTT. The manual states that the stabilizers should not be put down when in storage. No reason given.

My .02

BTW we're leaving today for it's maiden camping trip.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflight View Post
We just purchased a Jay Feather 21M HTT. The manual states that the stabilizers should not be put down when in storage. No reason given.

My .02

BTW we're leaving today for it's maiden camping trip.
(Have FUN!!! Make sure to start a thread and post pics about your trip!)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote