Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #1

Stuck Awning

Does anyone have any tricks to getting the manual awning unstuck when bringing it down? I see almost all Jayco owners fighting to get it disconnected from the top where the arms secure to the trailer.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

On my 1st TT , Coachmen, the awning would stick sometimes . It was always the arm closest to the front of the TT and it happened when we retracted the awning and went to secure it in order to leave the CG. A few times I could not get it loose so I had to use a large radiator clamp to secure it until we got homw.
Our second TT was a Jayco and never had a problem with the awning.
Our third TT is a Jayco with an electric awning, so no problems there either.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #3

Lifting up on the arm use to help when we had the manual awning. Sometimes I would take both arms up to the first hole before I pulled it away from the coach.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

did your dealer show you how to set up/ take down the awning? could you give more details as to how it sticks?

do you generally use the supplied "sheppherd's hook" dealy to disengage the retraction mechanism on the front end of the awning prior to hooking onto the black strap at the centre of the awning to pull it down? The only thing I can think of that might cause the awning to "stick" would be not disengaging the retraction mechanism which won't allow you to open the awning. I always find that it take a good little amount of force to change the direction of that mechanism with the hook.

we likely have the same manual awning and I have tried to find photos online to see how it is supposed to look when fully extended and properly set up. I have "my way" of setting it up but would like to see the ideal way. I'm never sure exactly how those stabilizer arms should look when fully set up (horizontal with the ground, at an angle, etc.). But that is another question and i dont want to hi-jack this thread LOL!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

DW and I look like a bad Cirque du Soleil act trying to deal with our awning. Thinking of 'accidentally' tearing it off in a drive through or leaving it up in a gale warning.

Then buy a separate pop up thing.

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

Sometimes the one on our old fifth wheel wouldn't roll up all the way and latch for travel. When that happened I had to pull on the fabric to get it all square to prevent wrinkles.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #7

There are 3 families in our group and we all have the same trailer but different years. It has nothing to do with the mechanism, the support arms will get hung up on the brackets and not release without a bunch of swearing and lifting and pulling on the arms. It seems the front one hangs up the most on all the trailers. We never had this issue with the last trailer but that awning was a sunsetter and this one seems cheaper (can't remember the name). It rolls up and stores just fine.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

we have the carefree manual awning on ours and after about the 10th trip it started sticking. After the last trip in Feb i looked at it when we got home and found the aluminum pin connecting the arms was protruding a little catching the one arm not letting it go out. I took two hammers and flattened the head a little as to not let it catch. I will report if we continue to have problems.