Originally Posted by skidsjayco
Hey Mike (Scout2), What can be damaged with low voltage? I understand that thinks may not run properly...
Your A/C compressor can be damaged, for one. Here's some text I found from the Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society:
"Many motor failures can be directly traced to the
malfunction of electrical components.
Low voltage often contributes to component malfunction,
and ultimately to compressor failure.
To be sure that the voltage being supplied is within
the accepted tolerance stamped on the units nameplate,
always check the supply voltage while the unit
is under load. A +/- 10% deviation from the nameplate
value is usually acceptable, but many 208/230-v
motors will present problems if the voltage being supplied
is more than 5% below the nameplate value
(that is, the lower voltage on multi-voltage motors)."
You can read more on their page: KEEP A CLOSE WATCH ON YOUR VOLTAGE by Dave Kaspersin