Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Suspension bushings

I have my TT in getting the bearings repacked and the brakes gone over prior to our west coast trip in two weeks. I was told the original nylon bushings are worn and need replacing. The trailer was new last year and has about 7,000km or 4,300 miles from our east coast trip last year. I am having them replaced with brass bushings that have grease fittings which I hope will last a lot longer.
Is it normal for the bushings to wear this quick? We definitely were not over loaded at anytime as I keep the weight down to a minimum.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes it is especially on a rig that is towed a lot.
The Mod is called a "wet kit" and many owners do the job themselves. I installed it on my last rig and this one is in need of them. I purchases a set of bushings that do not have the grease fitting but are impregnated with lubricant.

I just need time to do it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Just did this mod 2 weeks ago and the thin plastic bushing from the factory is not worth much. It's about as thick as a soda bottle and also about as durable. The kit will also provide you with heavier shackles to support the springs as well. It took me a little over an hour a side to do it as the nuts were not rusted up.

The kit runs about $90.00 from Mor Ryde.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Wow, I'm not sure I like this forum........my to do list keeps growing. LOL. You guys have got me thinking now. A couple of years ago I had a tweaked axle. Instead of getting the standard RV axle I went with a slightly narrower, in stock axle and just replaced both. I think the Jayco had 86 1/2" and I'm at 86" now. They are readily available and not a custom order. Being in Alaska I like to plan ahead. So I want to say that my suspension equalizer says Mor/ryde already, I'm at work now but will check when I get home. I'd like to replace the shackles at a minimum if they dont' have them already. I was looking at Mor/ryde's site and they said to raise the whole trailer at once. Those of you who have swapped to the better shackles, did you do this or do one side at a time? Also, part numbers, how many different ones are there? Did you guys just call Mor/ryde direct? Thanks.

2015 GMC 3500HD SRW 6.6 CCSB (Daily Driver/TV)
2012 Jayco 25 RKS
Living the dream in AK!
alaskahofferts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #5

I did mine on two different trailers. I think it is much easier to do one side at a time. Having the opposite side on he ground stabilizes everything and makes it easier to do.

It is easier to do with two people - there is a lot of moving this a bit so that that will fit. One to move, one to fasten; one to hold the bolt still, one to tighten the nut.

I think I called Mor-Ryde direct and recall them being easy to deal with.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Site Team

I did one side at a time. Supported it on 2 Jack stands and used 2 bottle jacks to raise and lower the axles. I also had it connected to the truck for more stability.
I had a mix of suspension parts and had to order some from Dexter and some from MorRyde. Took 6 hours for the first side and less that 4 for the second side.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #7

Has anyone tried or know of anyone trying these? I don't know if they are for Lippert only...

Double Axle Suspension Bushings - Lippert Components Inc 279685 - Suspension Products - Camping World

They say, "Replace worn shackle links and parts with an upgrade kit that includes maintenance-free, permanently lubricated Never-Fail bushings. More economical and far more durable than conventional wet bolts with bronze bushings. You’ll never have to worry about worn spring bushings again!"

Too good to be true? Reality or marketing hype?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Has anyone tried or know of anyone trying these? I don't know if they are for Lippert only...

Double Axle Suspension Bushings - Lippert Components Inc 279685 - Suspension Products - Camping World

They say, "Replace worn shackle links and parts with an upgrade kit that includes maintenance-free, permanently lubricated Never-Fail bushings. More economical and far more durable than conventional wet bolts with bronze bushings. You’ll never have to worry about worn spring bushings again!"

But you still don't get the extra thick shackles. The bolts are grade 8 with a zerk for 2-3 pumps initially, then one a year and you are good to go.

I did one side at a time with my bottle jack and scizzors down for added safety. For 90 dollars it's a must do IMHO.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Suspension Springs

I'm not much of a DYI type and when installing the "kit" is there any chance of knocking your alignment out of whack? Just had my axles aligned and wouldn't want to spend another $125.00 anytime soon.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

This is what I was referring in my post #2 . I have them but have not installed them yet.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
I'm not much of a DYI type and when installing the "kit" is there any chance of knocking your alignment out of whack? Just had my axles aligned and wouldn't want to spend another $125.00 anytime soon.

Mohok--I don't think so. I had the same thought earlier today. I believe the springs stay attached to the axle during the install. You're just changing the mounting points, should be equal change both sides. Therefore no alignment issues.

2015 GMC 3500HD SRW 6.6 CCSB (Daily Driver/TV)
2012 Jayco 25 RKS
Living the dream in AK!
alaskahofferts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This is what I was referring in my post #2 . I have them but have not installed them yet.
I missed that in your post #2.

Please update us when you do the install and after. I read about them somewhere weeks ago and some said these are better and last longer than the 'wet' kits.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Thanks for all the responses. I did have the bushings replaced with brass ones and now I will look into weather or not this will be covered under the 2 year warranty.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #14

Question. Several poster's said they replaced the bushings on one side of the trailer at a time. If I am reading their posts correctly they only had one side of the trailer jacked up, with the tires on the opposite side of the trailer resting on the ground. When doing the replacement this way, when the bolts were removed from the spring eyes/shackles was is hard to realign and re-install the bolts with the weight on the opposite side of the axle??
Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
Question. Several poster's said they replaced the bushings on one side of the trailer at a time. If I am reading their posts correctly they only had one side of the trailer jacked up, with the tires on the opposite side of the trailer resting on the ground. When doing the replacement this way, when the bolts were removed from the spring eyes/shackles was is hard to realign and re-install the bolts with the weight on the opposite side of the axle??
You jack up one side at a time leaving the other side down. Put jack stands on the frame both in from and back of the axles. The jack stands are now supporting the weight of the trailer. Put a bottle jack under the axle. Raising it or lowering it will take the weight off of the shackle bolts and let you replace the bushings and new bolt.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
You jack up one side at a time leaving the other side down. Put jack stands on the frame both in from and back of the axles. The jack stands are now supporting the weight of the trailer. Put a bottle jack under the axle. Raising it or lowering it will take the weight off of the shackle bolts and let you replace the bushings and new bolt.
That's the way I did it and I had no problems. You need some pry bars and a rubber hammer also for extra help.

Key is make sure the rig is stable. I had mine connected to the tow vehicle while working on it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #17

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that with just one side jacked up it would place a side load on axles and when you removed the spring bolts the axles would shift and it would be very hard to get things realigned.
Bill
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

You need to remove all the bolts and shakles on the one side first as there was a need for me to push the axle forward and rear to have it fall below the mounting holes to the frame. There was a piece of steel welded within the mounting brackets that reinforce the mounts, but the springs do not drop straight out on my unit. They hit the steel and needed about an inch of movement to allow this clearance. Also if your bolts are rusty you will want to hit them with some liquid wrench a day ahead as they are in there good without rust.

I left a half turn on the old nuts and hit them with a hammer and block of wood. If you have a load hammer that will work as well.

Be very carefull with the brass bushings as they crack and bend very easily due to their softness. Hit them square with a 2 x 4 and hammer or rubber mallet.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

I had a lot of tire wear issues last season and called Dexter. They were surprised that we have 20,000 miles on the plastic bushings and suggested we install the K71-448-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit . I have got it but haven't gotten it installed yet. Hopefully it makes a difference.
School Bus Mechanic[/COLOR]
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB
2010 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 5.4 3.55
FireJimCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJimCF View Post
I had a lot of tire wear issues last season and called Dexter. They were surprised that we have 20,000 miles on the plastic bushings and suggested we install the K71-448-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit . I have got it but haven't gotten it installed yet. Hopefully it makes a difference.
Did you install this yet? If so, how did it go?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote