Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #41

Great thread. I tow with an SUV and it is great with the kids (four of them). However, as they are becoming young adults and moving out on their own, a 3/4 ton truck is high on my list when the SUV needs to be replaced. Even though I will only be towing a trailer weighing in at 4300 pounds dry weight. I like the idea of having plenty of towing capacity.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #42

I do a lot of pulling .. car trailers boats and my tt ... I had a gmc Yukon with the 5.3 and it did a lot of shifting even just on overpasses with little incline .. I went to an older 95 ford f350 crew cab with 7.3 5 speed manual duesel and I love it ... I paid about 11000 for it 4 years ago and I would do it again tomorrow ... but if you don't pull much it doesn't matter as much ... but i moved up to a bigger trailer and if I go to take a trip somewhere with hills I wont worry as much as I would have with the Yukon
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0853.jpg  
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by s for thoughtmarkey29 View Post
Everyone's input is truly appreciated. I have a lot to think about. Since I don't do a lot of traveling getting the diesel is probably out since I didn't realize how much more than a gasser it really was and how much it is to maintain it. I think it's down to an expedition or a 4 door gas superduty truck. I like the truck because you can haul stuff but my girls would really enjoy the entertainment that comes with an SUV. Thanks again everyone.
The diesel doesn't really have more of a maintance cost you have double the the oil but change it half as much. But yes very expensive to repair when they brake down. Stick with a half ton truck if you're going with gas. Otherwise if going up to a 3/4 ton do the fuel economy math you'll be cheaper per mile to drive the diesel. However you will not recoupe the initial cost for the upgrade to the diesel until you sell it and then down grade to the gas at that point I would say you'd get back at least 75% or more of it. Just remember once you get the camping bug. You'll want to go bigger and farther away. So upgrade truck now and then trailer. Gets expensive to do it at the same time. Just food for thought. Good luck with your decisi
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #44

Good information regarding the 3/4 ton. I may have to re-evaluate my focus on one. I actually wanted a smaller trailer but couldn't find one with a good layout that met our requirements. I would be surprised if I ever go bigger.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
You'll want to go bigger and farther away. So upgrade truck now and then trailer. Gets expensive to do it at the same time. Just food for thought.
So true! I'd like a big, new fiver but my 7.3's tranny probably would poop out on me on one of the many high, long pulls we have up here in the mountains. But a new F450 in the model I'd want is just a little cheaper than a Rolls! On the good side, not buying anything means I don't have to trade retirement for a WM greeter job!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #46

I am sticking with gas because (1) our camper's dry weight is about 5500#, (2) we only camp 6-8 times/year usually within a few hundred miles of our home and (3) our TV is really only used for towing our TT, an occasional haul to the dump and a trip into town (not much more than 5K miles/year).

To someone's earlier response, diesel is the ultimate way to go, but if your situation is like mine, I would find purchasing a diesel hard to justify, unless you find an exceptional deal and/or have allot of money sitting around.

Also, I can't imagine not having a pick-up as having the bed to throw stuff in is golden.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
I am sticking with gas because (1) our camper's dry weight is about 5500#, (2) we only camp 6-8 times/year usually within a few hundred miles of our home and (3) our TV is really only used for towing our TT, an occasional haul to the dump and a trip into town (not much more than 5K miles/year).

To someone's earlier response, diesel is the ultimate way to go, but if your situation is like mine, I would find purchasing a diesel hard to justify, unless you find an exceptional deal and/or have allot of money sitting around.

Also, I can't imagine not having a pick-up as having the bed to throw stuff in is golden.
+1, I'm in the same boat usage-wise. Though we did put 10K miles on the truck this year, but that's because it's more comfortable for my preggers DW to ride in!

When we get our 3/4 T, it will most likely be gas for the exact reasons you mentioned. Someday though, it would be nice to have a diesel and use it for what it's for... day dreaming...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Someday though, it would be nice to have a diesel and use it for what it's for... day dreaming...
I can actually use my diesels, but your day dreaming point is right on. They are my Harleys! Really, who needs a bike that requires a couple thou in leathers to ride? Answer: The guy that wants one!
'14 Denali XL
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #49

If you want a diesel buy a diesel and likewise for a gasser. The trailer you mention will tow easily regardless. I can tell you from experience that having a one ton diesel TV is nice no matter what size trailer you are hauling. As for the comments re higher maintenance costs on a diesel I would disagree. My oil changes (every 20,000 kms) cost me $55 in my driveway and takes approx 30 minutes, fuel filters (every 40,000 kms) are about $20 and approx 5 minutes. I've put a few miles on in this truck in the past 2 years and would not hesitate to replace it with another even if i did not need it for work. Our personal camper is only 4500lb and it's a DREAM to tow with the diesel.

Good luck with your purchase decision!
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy1 View Post
if you want a diesel buy a diesel and likewise for a gasser. The trailer you mention will tow easily regardless. I can tell you from experience that having a one ton diesel tv is nice no matter what size trailer you are hauling. As for the comments re higher maintenance costs on a diesel i would disagree. My oil changes (every 20,000 kms) cost me $55 in my driveway and takes approx 30 minutes, fuel filters (every 40,000 kms) are about $20 and approx 5 minutes. I've put a few miles on in this truck in the past 2 years and would not hesitate to replace it with another even if i did not need it for work. Our personal camper is only 4500lb and it's a dream to tow with the diesel.

Good luck with your purchase decision!
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy1 View Post
As for the comments re higher maintenance costs on a diesel I would disagree. My oil changes (every 20,000 kms) cost me $55 in my driveway and takes approx 30 minutes, fuel filters (every 40,000 kms) are about $20 and approx 5 minutes.
Maintenance is more than oil changes. Brakes, tires, struts, shocks, etc. The more heavy duty you go, the more expensive the parts. That's not bad, it just is. I'm not bashing it. I'd love to own a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. But no one can convince me that owning one doesn't cost much more than a 1/2 ton gasser. Now if you're comparing a 3/4 gasser to a 3/4 diesel I wouldn't argue. But I believe the OP was trying to compare 1/2 ton platform to 3/4 diesel.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #52

I do find diesel maintenance to be more expensive. 13 quarts of oil and a $20 filter. Granted I change mine more than I need to. Also, a fuel filter pack costs about $120 just for the filters and I change them every 15k. I imagine some diesels are cheaper but for me it isn't. It's not much more cost but I wouldn't trade my truck for anything else so it's not a problem.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Maintenance is more than oil changes. Brakes, tires, struts, shocks, etc. The more heavy duty you go, the more expensive the parts. That's not bad, it just is. I'm not bashing it. I'd love to own a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. But no one can convince me that owning one doesn't cost much more than a 1/2 ton gasser. Now if you're comparing a 3/4 gasser to a 3/4 diesel I wouldn't argue. But I believe the OP was trying to compare 1/2 ton platform to 3/4 diesel.
Apples to oranges, but your last sentence is correct. But gassers are IMHO unnecessarily expensive to maintain. Check into the cost to replace eight sparkplugs in Ford's 5.4! DIY? The tool's $200!
'14 Denali XL
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Apples to oranges, but your last sentence is correct. But gassers are IMHO unnecessarily expensive to maintain. Check into the cost to replace eight sparkplugs in Ford's 5.4! DIY? The tool's $200!
I almost bought a Ford. This makes me glad I got a GM instead.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Agreed, but i'm just saying that the diesel engine is not insane expensive to maintain. Of course heavier parts are more money but like you say that's part of having a HD truck. FWIW 6 tires run me about $1200 (CDN) and i get between 120-140,000 kms.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post

On the flip side, maintenance is more expensive - about $100 per oil change and $175 or so for a fuel filter change ( I do it every 15k).
Holy crap! It costs me about $65 to do my own oil change, and the fuel filter costs $35 and about 20 minutes to change.

Quote:
I can't comment on diesel vs gas other than to say that maintenance costs will be higher, no matter what the diesel proponents try to tell you.
I'm a diesel owner as well as your diesel proponent. I also used to own only gassers. The cost difference is 2 1/2 gallons per oil change vs 5 quarts, and a $35 fuel filter once a year. So I guess technically, you are correct. Other than that, I haven't spent any more on maintenance on my diesels than I did on my gassers.

For the diesel vs gas for towing argument, I will say that I would keep pulling with my diesel even if I went back to my old pop up trailer. It's just that much nicer to drive and pull with. Can't imagine ever towing with a gasser again, much less a 6 cylinder ego boost.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #57
Site Team

I think what we have to realize is the great thing about living here in North America is we can choose what vehicle we want, just like what RV we want, then personalize it to our taste. Everyone will want or need something a bit different. Some will only buy a Ford, some a Chevy and so on. Some will only buy a diesel no matter what weights are involved, because that`s what they want. Some want/ need the added torque, power, engine braking and longevity that only a diesel will provide. Some don`t care one way or the other.

A few thoughts on gas or diesel.

Firstly I must disclaim that I have been slightly biased against diesels from earlier years when I worked on diesel powered boats. Nothing quite like the smell of 30 diesel engines running in a harbor warming up to go out on a calm morning with nowhere for the fumes to go. I can still smell them.
Then there`s the roar of the drystack GM 871`s and 1271`s. I think I can still hear them ringing in my ears.

The gas engines today last a long time with proper care, and are more powerful then ever. I`ve owned a gas powered pickup truck of some description since 1979 and have never had a major engine repair expense or internal engine failure. The gas trucks of today will do well in many towing applications. Gas engines will generally get worse towing MPG then their diesel counterparts.

That being said,
Should the need arise, I would buy a diesel truck and probably will someday to accommodate a larger RV. Just can`t tow the big ones with a gasser, and I would not want to try. The extra maintanance would not be a consideration, its not that much as others have stated. The thought of a major repair expense post warranty would be a bigger concern for me, as you can get leveled with a big repair bill on a diesel and I have some relatives and friends that have experienced that nightmare. But then again many go 300 or 400K miles without a problem.... And the discussion goes on...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
holy crap! It costs me about $65 to do my own oil change, and the fuel filter costs $35 and about 20 minutes to change.

I'm a diesel owner as well as your diesel proponent. I also used to own only gassers. The cost difference is 2 1/2 gallons per oil change vs 5 quarts, and a $35 fuel filter once a year. So i guess technically, you are correct. Other than that, i haven't spent any more on maintenance on my diesels than i did on my gassers.

For the diesel vs gas for towing argument, i will say that i would keep pulling with my diesel even if i went back to my old pop up trailer. It's just that much nicer to drive and pull with. Can't imagine ever towing with a gasser again, much less a 6 cylinder ego boost.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #59

I've had both and a diesel is the way to go. Better mileage, towing or not, rarely downshifts when towing. Makes towing a 31 foot, 8000 lb trailer a breeze.
Reese Dual Cam
Canine Travelers - Emmy & Rocky
fayliaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #60

Didn't read all of the replies, but it comes down to how you plan to use the vehicle. In our application, the vehicle is a daily driver that I drive to work 5 miles each way on suburban roads. It's also the family car, with 4 kids and a necessary third row. It's used to tow our 4500-lbs X23B maybe 6-7 times a year, with 1 "long" trip annually. That being the case, the gasser SUV fits our lifestyle and needs; I've never owned a diesel but have read that they're not the best choice for those with daily short-distance drives, so it wouldn't fit our needs.... We'll eventually upgrade to a newer gasser SUV with more tow capacity, but in the meantime, we enjoy not having the car payment.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote