Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #41

Probably. Jayco wouldn't want you to disconnect the Sway Control, collect the money, and them hook it back up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondeb View Post
We got our letter today. There are instructions on how to disconnect the unit but it sounds like you have to actually have it removed by the dealer in order to get your $375 refund.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Probably. Jayco wouldn't want you to disconnect the Sway Control, collect the money, and them hook it back up again.
Yes, just a little worried about having a hole in the nose cap once it is removed. I wonder what they intend to fill it with.

2013 Ford F250 CC Lariat 6.7 Diesel 4x4
2016 Eagle 338RETS - Finally got it Right!
2011 Eagle 256RKS (Traded)
2010 Select 141J Popup (Traded)
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #43

They put a reflector on mine to match the other side. You can't even tell a difference.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
As I wait for my trailer to be built I periodically review the Jayco website for changes. Noticed today that there is no mention of Sway Command as an option any longer. Anyone heard about why Jayco dropped this option?

I ordered my trailer with it, but wasn't sure how well it really worked. Anyone able to provide insight on whether or not I might miss it?

Finally, before anyone replies that Jayco has a right to make changes... I know that and I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to if anyone knows why they made the change.
I just rec'd a "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL" from JAYCO concerning the Sway Command System. It said "WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT TOW YOUR TRAILER UNTIL THE SWAY COMMAND SYSTEM IS DISCONNECTED". JAYCO has decided that a defect which relates to Motor Vehicle Safety exists in certain Model-Year 2016-2017 Eagle, Jay Feather, Jay Flight, Jay Flight SLX (mine), Octane, and White Hawk travel trailers with a SWAY COMMAND SYSTEM installed. CALL YOUR JAYCO DEALER ASAP. Waiting for a call back from my JAYCO dealer to schedule an appointment to remove my SWAY COMMAND SYSTEM. In the meantime I am disconnecting the power to the SWAY COMMAND SYSTEM so I can use my trailer.
I did have an incident where I almost rear ended a car on the Oregon Coast, I wondered then if there was a problem. Heavy winds were in the area, and with plenty of distance I had a heck of a time stopping. No wonder my truck brakes are wearing. I count myself lucky.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Rear Wheel Drive, V8 (327 CI), Factory Tow Package & Heavy Duty Suspension; e2 Round Bar Hitch, 10K lb. max; 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX, 212QBW, DISCONNECTED Sway Command System; Sold: 2005 Skyline Nomad Lite, 180LT, 18'
Campin4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #45

Leaving mine hooked up... It' has saved my rear a couple times already and I feel this recall only applies to vehicles with an INTEGRATED brake controller...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Leaving mine hooked up... It' has saved my rear a couple times already and I feel this recall only applies to vehicles with an INTEGRATED brake controller...
I have an aftermarket brake controller (Prodigy) and it actually locked up my trailer brakes. I definitely don't feel safe with it on there and had the dealer remove it already.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #47

I suspect that the reason is that they have a total Safety Recall on certain tow vehicles with factory installed integrated brake controllers. They say that a vehicle operator will lose trailer brakes after the sway system applies the trailer brakes during a sway event. The loss of trailer brakes an result in a loss of control of the vehicle and trailer. To remedy this defect they have decided to remove the Sway Command system from all affected travel trailers. So, I assume you can no longer get Sway Command on any Jayco travel trailer.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #48

If you are worried about sway with your TT allow me to recommend the sway eliminator, The Hensley Hitch. I installed one on mine and no more worries about sway.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 AM   #49

I have my SWAY CONTROL disconnected, and tied up out of the way. I believe it is not safe. I have an aftermarket Brake Controller. My JAYCO Service Manager told me to get my trailer in and they will get the damn thing off. I get the impression that JAYCO has no fix that is why they are paying out $375 to customers. I have an e2 sway hitch on anyways, but when this controller decides to override my Brake Controller settings than it comes off.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Rear Wheel Drive, V8 (327 CI), Factory Tow Package & Heavy Duty Suspension; e2 Round Bar Hitch, 10K lb. max; 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX, 212QBW, DISCONNECTED Sway Command System; Sold: 2005 Skyline Nomad Lite, 180LT, 18'
Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBit View Post
I have an aftermarket brake controller (Prodigy) and it actually locked up my trailer brakes. I definitely don't feel safe with it on there and had the dealer remove it already.
I had this happen to me once as well. Not fun.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
I have my SWAY CONTROL disconnected, and tied up out of the way. I believe it is not safe. I have an aftermarket Brake Controller. My JAYCO Service Manager told me to get my trailer in and they will get the damn thing off. I get the impression that JAYCO has no fix that is why they are paying out $375 to customers. I have an e2 sway hitch on anyways, but when this controller decides to override my Brake Controller settings than it comes off.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cruzin View Post
If you are worried about sway with your TT allow me to recommend the sway eliminator, The Hensley Hitch. I installed one on mine and no more worries about sway.
Or you could purchase a ProPride hitch...same design and also eliminates sway...I don't worry about sway any more no matter the wind, trucks passing or being at max capacity.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #53
Site Team

I suspect Jayco and all other manufacturers are simply protecting themselves and their customers.

After all, they didn't design or build this system. Just made the decision to put in on their equipment prematurely.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #54

Just got my notice today. Pretty mad about losing the feature, but couldn't imagine towing with the family without disconnecting. Not happy with Jayco - they rushed the feature without fully vetting it to gain a competitive advantage. Funny how that happened just before they sold to Thore.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Just got my notice today. Pretty mad about losing the feature, but couldn't imagine towing with the family without disconnecting. Not happy with Jayco - they rushed the feature without fully vetting it to gain a competitive advantage. Funny how that happened just before they sold to Thore.
I am not very with Jayco at this point either. That is interesting that this comes out after Thor buys up Jayco. Which is a shame in itself. Well I've bought & payed for my trailer so I guess I gotta keep it for a while. What's a person to do?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #56
Site Team

Don't fret to much. People have been pulling trailers since the wheel was invented. There are many ways to pull safely with out this latest gimmick.

My only regret was if they didn't refund my money.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #57

sway command

We unplugged ours, on our next trip out, we had a 2 hour turnpike drive camping trip planned, when traveling I noticed a difference when pulling. The semi trucks as they passed cause the trailer to sway towards them, this was not noticed all of the way back from Alabama to Ohio (bought trailer in Alabama) when sway command was connected, I think it was working. The indicator lights never worked but the trailer never swayed with the semi trucks going around us. We limit our speed to 65 MPH, as that is the maximum speed rating of the ST tires on the TT, so we get passed alot. With only two tires I don't want a blow-out.

I see now where Ford's are being recalled for their integrated brake controller failing, maybe it isn't a Lippert issue. (lippert makes the sway command for Jayco).
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #58

I took mine in to have the Sway Command removed. Nothing to it. The covered the hole with football shaped reflectors and the check for $375 arrived in about two weeks.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #59

It at the dealer, and we're getting ours back this Saturday. This was a big factor in buying the TT in the first place over an R-POD 179 we looked a for three years. The others were the awning, cherry interior, and the rear bumper.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
We unplugged ours, on our next trip out, we had a 2 hour turnpike drive camping trip planned, when traveling I noticed a difference when pulling. The semi trucks as they passed cause the trailer to sway towards them, this was not noticed all of the way back from Alabama to Ohio (bought trailer in Alabama) when sway command was connected, I think it was working. The indicator lights never worked but the trailer never swayed with the semi trucks going around us. We limit our speed to 65 MPH, as that is the maximum speed rating of the ST tires on the TT, so we get passed alot. With only two tires I don't want a blow-out.

I see now where Ford's are being recalled for their integrated brake controller failing, maybe it isn't a Lippert issue. (lippert makes the sway command for Jayco).
I've towed since having it removed and no problems so far. I'm using an Equalizer hitch and it seems to be doing the job on it's own. I guess I'll have to see if that holds true when I get in windy conditions.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote