Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Sway Control

I did purchase the new Lippert Sway Control unit for my 2017 Jayflight RLS. I want to caution anyone considering this option. Mine is currently not working. Last night I checked every connection and everything looked good.

Today I called Lippert and found out that this sway control only works with a limited number of tow vehicle brake controllers. Mine was about 10 years old so i have to update. Also, I drive a 2013 F150 truck and the only Ford that Lippert has tested is the 2011 F150, so they can not promise that it will work on my truck! He also told me that they have major issues on Chevy trucks right now too. So, buyer beware! Do your homework if you decide to get this option. All Jayco's now come pre-wired for them but if you actually order the unit, you might want to talk to Lippert first and check.

By the way, I have let Jayco know about this too.
snicholas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

I was under the impression that the sway control was a standalone unit and would work no matter your setup... I didn't think that a brake controller would have any affect on the operation of the sway control?
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #3

I was under the same impression. But like I said, Lippert told me different. I went onto their website and downloaded the manual and they do have a list of brake controllers that they have tested and know that it works.
snicholas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

So, is it just that they haven't TESTED the system in other configurations? So then they won't say for sure whether it works? Or is it that the Sway Command has design limitations that affect which combinations will actually work?

The reason I'm asking is that just because a particular combinations wasn't TESTED by the manufacturer doesn't mean it won't necessarily work as designed. The manufacturer just isn't going to take the liability of guaranteeing an untested combo because of liability concerns. As the system ages, additional combinations will be tested and "approved" by the manufacturer.

Still though, I would hope Jayco and Lippert would be a bit more vocal about this issue. I would be pretty mad if I paid for an option like this that wouldn't work with my tow vehicle.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

Hmm. We got the Sway Command package installed by our dealer. When we picked it up there was no brake controller installed in the truck.
We decided to have one installed as we were going to be off paved roads in the mountains..

So I am quite confused
Sway command works... two incidents on i 40.

I'll be reading all this later today
http://www.lci1.com/sway

check out page six.. no mention of a particular brand of vehicle but is a mention of brands of brake controllers

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ket_Manual.pdf

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

I ordered it on my 2017 that is yet to be delivered. Now I'm wondering if it will work with the 2016 SD I bought. Will be watching this thread closely.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
I ordered it on my 2017 that is yet to be delivered. Now I'm wondering if it will work with the 2016 SD I bought. Will be watching this thread closely.
I have a 2016 Eagle 314BHDS, with the Lippert sway control, and a 2016 F-350; and it all works seamlessly. You shouldn't have any worries.
Good luck.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #8

I really think the issue is that the brake controller and Sway Command need to be compatible and neither care what vehicle is doing the pulling.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Guys, Sway Command works independently of your brake control, and the two really don't care about one another. The Sway Command monitors, and controls, only the trailer. There would be no compatability issue.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
I was under the impression that the sway control was a standalone unit and would work no matter your setup... I didn't think that a brake controller would have any affect on the operation of the sway control?
You are correct.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
Guys, Sway Command works independently of your brake control, and the two really don't care about one another. The Sway Command monitors, and controls, only the trailer. There would be no compatability issue.
This was my understanding from watching their video. If the system detects sway, it applies the brakes on one wheel to bring the trailer back to normal.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
You are correct.
maybe.. the brake controllers in the link I cited do work.. any others may or may not.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #13

So if your trailer starts swaying and the sway command kicks in and then you hit the truck brakes, which activates the brake controller, which then activates all the brakes on the trailer, what's the point of the sway command? Or if the trailer is in sway mode does the sway command override the TBC? Or vice versa. Thus the compatibility issues.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
So if your trailer starts swaying and the sway command kicks in and then you hit the truck brakes, which activates the brake controller, which then activates all the brakes on the trailer, what's the point of the sway command? Or if the trailer is in sway mode does the sway command override the TBC? Or vice versa. Thus the compatibility issues.
All the brake controller does is supply voltage to the brake mechanism, which actuates the brakes. From the trailer's perspective, I don't see how any brake controller is any different than another. There's either voltage on the brake line, or there isn't.

The more voltage supplied to the brake, the harder it is applied. My guess is that Sway Command just actuates whichever brake is required to bring the trailer straight again. If the brake controller is actuated at the same time, presumably it would be sending higher voltage, and effectively "override" the Sway Command's input.

The only thing I can think of is if the brake controller will act adversely in the presence of voltage on the brake line that it didn't generate. Maybe that's it?

From the manual:

"Note: In the event a tow vehicle brake controller detects a fault after Sway CommandTM detects a sway event, manually activate the tow vehicle brake controller a few times to clear the fault."
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #15

A Ford Truck, with Factory Trailer Brake Controller, does the same thing thru the TV break system....right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #16

Our sway command kicked in and never were the tow vehicles brakes engaged. the point is to stop the sway and put tension on the trailer. You don't hit the tow vehicles brakes; its the same a driving on ice. Never hit the tow vehicles brakes hard..if you have to because you have a flat.. do it easily and gradually.

If you do put your foot on the brake , the controller senses the pressure and actuall y puts more braking pressure on the trailer so it does not shove against the truck.

We got the brake controller for mountain downhills.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
A Ford Truck, with Factory Trailer Brake Controller, does the same thing thru the TV break system....right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're referring to your TV, yes. You have AdvanceTrac with RSC which Trailer Sway Control is integrated into the system. It all works through the ABS module and the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) which modulates brake pressure to the specific caliber(s).
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote