Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Swivel Rockers - Rock too much !

We recently bought a Jayflight 26 RLS which comes with two swivel rocker chairs. To us they seem to rock too much, when we sit in them they want to recline to far back it's uncomfortable unless we wedge the back against the coach. I'm considering modifying them so they don't rock and/or replacing them.

Everything else in the coach works well for us so this is a little bit of a surprise. I wonder if there is an adjustment to stiffen the chairs?

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

George
=============================
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26 RLS TT
2013 Ram 2500 Mega HD Cummins Diesel
gpmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Don't know if they put the same chairs in the White Hawk, but the 2 that came in my 2014 WH 30dsre do seem to rock back a little too easy and even took a slight rear lean after sitting in one of them for 5 nites. The real problem I found was that the ribbon springs in the seat kept popping loose at one of the ends. This occurred when I twisted getting up out of the chair or leaning forward to tie a shoe or whatever. Jayco ended up sending me a replacement. think the ones I got originally had a bad batch of springs that didn't have proper length end. Anyway I modified the 3 spring layout so the front and back ends of all 3 springs were linked, thus preventing either the left or right from sliding out of the bracket. so far so good.

Now have 3 chairs but we have decided to only travel with one of them. That gives us even more floor space in front of the entertainment center for the dogs. Only 2 of us and one will be on the hideabed couch that matches the swivels.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Now have 3 chairs but we have decided to only travel with one of them. That gives us even more floor space in front of the entertainment center for the dogs. Only 2 of us and one will be on the hideabed couch that matches the swivels.
We were camping up at Glacier National Park this weekend with the dog and came to the same conclusion. We'll remove one chair so the kennel can sit there and repair replace one of the chairs. There is just the three of us so we don't need two swivel rockers anyway. I guess a quick call to Jayco might lead to new springs; that's worth a try.

Thanks

George
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #4

We went to the Lazyboy store and bought a rocker/recliner for Sallie and a wall huger for me. Very comfortable.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

You may be able to put a wooden block under the recliner to limit the rocking motion. Just a thought.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

These chairs are not furniture showroom quality items and I kind of doubt that they will survive very many uses. We'll see how it holds up this winter when we head south for 5 weeks. Have 2 extras so we can swap them out like batteries in a flashlite for a while. Then will replace with a decent easy chair.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Bought a recliner from Badcock for $299 to replace the chair next to the door. Much more comfortable.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Havent tested out our 2 rockers yet. Leaving tomorrow after church for maiden voyage/shakedown trip. We will eventually replace at least one with a wall hugger recliner (for me). Not sure if we will keep both inside or just one.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

I ended up determining that Jayco assembled my swivel rockers backwards. The mount that holds the springs and swivel mechanism was attached backwards to the chair tends to tilt backwards when you sit in it.

I decided to cut a wood block 1 7/8" and wedge it in between the springs. It fixed the problem.

I decided not to try to remove the swivel because it is attached to the chair with large wood screws. I was concerned that the screws might not hold firmly in the holes if I removed the swivel.

The wood blocks are working and the chairs are now working great.

George
Old 10-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Jim

We purchased our 2015 Jay Flight 26RLS this last June 2014. Only real issue I have is with these swivel rockers. It is at the dealer as of this posting for a warranty repair on one of the rockers. The upholstery is coming loose on the back of one of them and only have had 5 camping trips. I also have the same issue as others here with the chairs leaning too far back. My other main issue with these chairs is where they have to be when stowed while traveling. Right in front of the main door. I am 6' 3" so can stretch over them but the wife cannot do that. And I don't want to extend the slide out evertime we stop at a rest stop or gas station to get to the Frig. etc. So, the idea I see in this thread of keeping only one chair in the rig seems a possible choice. The stowing issue has no other option on the 26RLS since the space where one chair sits at the slide is not wide enough to keep it there. My bad I guess for not realizing this issue before purchasing. However, other than this I really like my new camper... just wish there was a better option than blocking off the main door during travel. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #11

We have the same issue with the chairs in our 2015 31RLDS. They tilt all the way back as soon as you sit in them. I did turn one of the bases 180 degrees and that does not work as it won't tilt back far enough. I think the problem is that the pivot point of these is not centered, it's offset to the rear, but your weight is behind the pivot and throws the chair back.

We are thinking of removing the chair closest to the door and putting a small desk / table there.

I've also look at these bases, they have center pivots and 5 springs instead of the three on the Jayco base. Swivel rocker replacement 5 springs and legs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
Jim

Update to my October 2014 posting. The dealer had my camper for over 4 months trying to get the material from Jayco to do the fabric repair on one of the rocking chairs. First Jayco sent the wrong color of fabric, then sent a fender skirt???? which totally puzzled the dealer, and then said they no longer had the color of material anymore. Their vendor had stopped making that chair months prior. The dealer then had a come to Jesus discussion with Jayco and within a few days they had the material to make the repair. Because we still have to stow the chairs back to back at the main door for traveling we are strongly considering removing one chair and perhaps purchasing a desk and small chair in its place as suggested by another post in this forum. Love the camper otherwise...With all the issues surrounding these rocking chairs small wonder Jayco decided to stop using them.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #13

Jim, We have a 2015 26 RLS too. One thing I found that helps for short stops.....when we close the trailer I put a throw rug on the floor and the chair on top of it. When I need to get in the trailer this gives me a little room where I can just slide the chair to get past it, without worry of tearing up the floor. Also when setting up I can slide it to the edge of the carpet so I dont have to lift it as far, or the wife can actually move it the foot or so it has to go if needed.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
Jim

2014 Jayco 26RLS
2014 Dodge 1500 4x4, 5.7 hemi, tow pkg

Wally26RLS .. Completely off the topic of the chairs. I see you are pulling your TT with a
2014 Dodge 1500 4x4, 5.7 hemi, tow pkg. I have been looking at trading in my 2006 Ford Expedition for something like what you are using. What is your tow rating and have you towed out of state such as to Gatlinburg, or North Carolina, or out west to the Rocky Mountains yet... let alone just the state of Kansas?
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 05-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Same problem with the excess travel. I put some short bungees on the front and rear underneath that reduces the travel but am looking for a better solution.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #16

We had the same problem with our Keystone Hideout a couple years ago. Replaced them with these from Discount Leather Chairs - Palliser & Mac Motion Recliners, Sofas, and Home Theater Chairs
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  

2008 Ford F250 Lariet 4WD 6.4 Diesel
2015 Jay Flight 34 RSBS
2014 Keystone Hideout -traded
krgbcg is offline   Reply With Quote