Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #1

Television and light problem

Just bought a 2015 SLX 26bhw and am very happy with it except for one or two odd problems. With the TV on, when I turn on the lights with the wall switch it freezes the TV? Also the TV hook up in the front bedroom doesn't seem to be getting any boost and thereby i get no signal??
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

We have had the same problem since new with our TV and led lights as well, you turn a light on and the TV freezes until you turn the light off is a weird problem indeed.
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

To cure this problem you need to put a barrel magnet on the wires leading into the light as close to the light as possible.. (used to be able to get the magnets at Radio Shack)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
M&A

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Ferrite-YAMAY...ords=rfi+choke
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

I never knew, thanks for the info I will give that a try for sure.
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

This happened in my OFF-ROAD trailer when I started using LED lights that have built-in regulators on the LED boards... Bought a whole bunch of LED lights for around $150 total cost for them. Should have only bought one and tried it out first haha... They created alot of RFI signals in the VHF and UHF frequency bands...

I didn't have much luck using RFI suppression tricks so my fix ended up changing out the LED Lights that had the buck boost regulator chips on them for the el-cheapo LED BOARDS from ebay china that cost $4.99...

My Ham radio setups were also affected by the RFI signals... All fine now...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
This happened in my OFF-ROAD trailer when I started using LED lights that have built-in regulators on the LED boards... Bought a whole bunch of LED lights for around $150 total cost for them. Should have only bought one and tried it out first haha... They created alot of RFI signals in the VHF and UHF frequency bands...

I didn't have much luck using RFI suppression tricks so my fix ended up changing out the LED Lights that had the buck boost regulator chips on them for the el-cheapo LED BOARDS from ebay china that cost $4.99...

My Ham radio setups were also affected by the RFI signals... All fine now...

Roy Ken
Ouch, that was bad. I took the interference as coming via the wiring and didn't consider the "freezing" as ATSC noise.

73, DE N4HHA
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Ouch, that was bad. I took the interference as coming via the wiring and didn't consider the "freezing" as ATSC noise.

73, DE N4HHA
I got hit by two different RFI signals The high VHF and UHF signals came from the LED Buck Boost switching circuits amd then my 40M bands gets clobbered from almost any power Inverter one uses... The 40M band has several bands or loud BURRRR's scattered every where... Reminded me of the Russian Woodpecker back in the day haha...

My Ham Radio, WX BAND Radio, VHF/UHF HDTV signals got clobbered pretty good...

The FM Radio worked just fine....

The HDTV would first freeze the picture. Then it would blank the screen, then the blue screen would show up saying loss of signal... Turn off the LED lights and the HDTV picture jumps back to life... It was really bad if I was using the OTA BATWING antenna picking up weaker TV signals.... Reception was much better if I was using a cable TV connection at the camp grounds...

My fix was to purchase some of those LED boards that did not have the regulator chips on them... This was back in 2009... Actually on my two ceiling dual light Assys I installed a selector switch from Radio Shack SIDE ONE-OFF-BOTH and put my non regulated LED light board on the SIDE ONE one position and left the high dollar one on the other BOTH side. Then when I was using my electronics I would just have the non-regulated LEDs working. There is some of these assys that have a switch already installed for each side you want on...

I didn't know the LED boards would do this either haha. Now when I need one I just get ONE and if it works good then I order the other 10-20 I need haha

Roy Ken
K9PHT King George VA
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #9

TV Light problem

Thanks for all the input. Ill try the barrel magnets and go from there. My camper has all LED throughout. Hope I ordered enough. LOL
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

Back in 2008 when I bought a new Heartland trailer I replaced the lights with led and had the same problem. Went on the Heartland websight and explained what it was doing and you would not believe all the nasty remarks that I got. We had the trailer for 2 years and during that time more and more people had the same problem. On this Jayco we did not have this problem. Found out it was RFI signals.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane View Post
We have had the same problem since new with our TV and led lights as well, you turn a light on and the TV freezes until you turn the light off is a weird problem indeed.
I have the same issue in my trailer but only when using generators. When I'm hooked to 30AMP pedestal it does not do it. Mine are specific to only 2 lights as well.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #12

We also had that problem with the lights closest to the TV (in the living quarters), but it didn't happen to the TV in the bedroom??? I checked and when my wife "auto programmed" the TV to get the digital antenna channels, she forgot to put the TV in "Air" mode to program and did it using the "Cable" mode in the TV settings, we still got some channels, but fewer than on "air" mode and 1/2 of them froze with the lights on. When we reprogrammed in the "air" mode the freezing stopped......we also have a button in the compartment where the TV plugs in for air/cable, I don't know if that had anything to do with the freezing because it was set to air.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
We also had that problem with the lights closest to the TV (in the living quarters), but it didn't happen to the TV in the bedroom??? I checked and when my wife "auto programmed" the TV to get the digital antenna channels, she forgot to put the TV in "Air" mode to program and did it using the "Cable" mode in the TV settings, we still got some channels, but fewer than on "air" mode and 1/2 of them froze with the lights on. When we reprogrammed in the "air" mode the freezing stopped......we also have a button in the compartment where the TV plugs in for air/cable, I don't know if that had anything to do with the freezing because it was set to air.
Thanks for the additional input rockaw. I just noticed this interference last time out. I don't recall the Air/Cable mode while using the antenna. Definitely will check that before trying the ferrite beads.