Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Television Mount for Bunk House in a 32TSBH

Let me run my idea by you. In my bunk house there is an entertainment area in the very center of the back wall. It has both an electrical outlet and a cable outlet. It is recessed as it has storage cabinets on each side of it. I took a stud finder/wire finder to the back area of the entertainment area in an attempt to find a place to install a wall mount for an LED TV. No such luck as it appears there are wires running every where behind the interior wall, and no large block of wood(like the front bedroom)to which I can attach a wall mount. Here is my idea. I am going to purchase a 4 foot long 8 inch wide pc. of red oak or poplar from lowes or HD. Also a 2X4. I will cut 2 pcs. of 2X4 that will match the width of the oak board. I will then cut the 4 foot board to extend from inside to inside of the entertainment center. With the extra oak, I will cut 2 more pcs. to match the size of the 2 pcs. of 2X4 I cut earlier. I will then, install the 2X4 pcs to the inside of the entertainment area, by drilling 2 holes in each, going through the side walls into the storage areas, and into the same sized small pcs. of oak. I will then bolt these in place on both sides. The nut and washer will be on the 2X4 side. The reason I am going to the trouble of using wood on both sides(entertainment and storage)is due to the fact that the wood seperating the storage and entertainment area is probably very thin. Now(hopefully)I will have a secure base(the 2 inch width of the 2X4)to which I can attach my pc. of oak. I will stain all of this to match, then screw the oak into the 2X4 blocks. I can now attach my wall mount in the center of the oak pc. and have a wall mounted and adjustable TV in the bunk house. I realize that my post in long and drawn out and maybe not explained very well, but do you think it will work?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

It sounds like it will work to me. In essence you are creating a false back to the cabinet so you can attach the mount safely and securely.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #3

Sounds like it would work. wouldnt hurt to run a few wall anchors down the 4' piece on the back wall just as addl support though.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

I have had great success with mounting a large 3/4-1 inch good solid board up against the thin walls and anchor in place with MOLLY BOLTs. This will spread out the weight across the large area and you can mount your TV mounts to the that... Dresses up nice and holds up alot weight.

Your idea sounds great - might even be somewhat of an over-kill but if you can do it go for it - alot of folks don't have the ability to get around what studs there is in the walls so if you can find them is always a good idea to use them... Using MOLLY BOLTS is also a great idea.

Mounting the solid boards up first then mounting your TV mounts to the boards always works out great.

sample photos from google images

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
It sounds like it will work to me. In essence you are creating a false back to the cabinet so you can attach the mount safely and securely.
Darn, you put it in much simpler terms than I was able too. That is basically what I am doing. By having the 8 inch wide board extending across the width of the entertainment area, and about 3 1/2 inches away from the true back of the entertainment area, I can then secure the mount to the 8 inch wide board using bolts with washers and nuts, rather than screws. The issue with attaching a piece of wood directly to the back wall using molly bolts and/or screws into the studs, is when using my stud finder/wire finder, there is no logic to the location of the studs, and the area behind the back wall appears to be filled with wires. Thus the extension of 3 1/2 inches (2X4) away from the back wall. No drilling into the back wall, only the 2 side walls.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote