Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

tell me about the Jay Flight 22FB

We're seriously considering the purchase of a TT and the Jay Flight series look like good units.

We wanted something fairly light, basically used 90% of the time by 2 adults and probably don't need a slide out. We do desire a walk-around queen bed, so if one has to get up in the middle of the night, you don't have to crawl over the other Researching TT floorplans always seems to bring us back to the 22FB.

We've not actually inspected a 22FB yet, but have seen a few of the smaller Jay Flight models with the sideways bed. For those owners of the 22FB's here (and probably the Feather Light 221, which has almost identical floorplan), what is your opinion of this model? I'm especially curious about:

- the distance between foot of bed and the half-wall (is it easily walked around?)

- leg room between that rear portion of the sofa and the kitchen counter

- the size of the bathroom

I've been lurking this forum for quite a while and it is apparent that knowledge "lives here" THNX!
Blue Grouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #2

BG, we purchased a 2013 22FB this year to replace a 2005 Sunline 2299 & we are very pleased with it in every respect. It is easy for me to navigate my way around the bed ( I am 6' 1" 195lbs). The leg room between the sofa and kitchen counter is tight, but useable even with my long legs. The bathroom, IMO, is one of the best configurations in a TT. It is roomy and the shower is much better than my old Sunline. FWIW, the 22FB was purchased to give us a little more room while at the same time keeping weight and length within reasonable limits. Part of our plan was to avoid slide outs. The FP of this TT is about as good as it gets for two people wanting simplicity. Hope that this is helpful.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

I, too, had concerns about the space between the couch and the counter. Turns out to not be an issue at all. Your concerns seem to be close to what mine were. There is only 2 of us. Wanted a walk around bed. Wanted to stay under 5000#. Wanted to keep the length as short as possible. Slide out was not a desirable feature. The 22FB met the most of our wants.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

We look fwd to checking out a 22FB. It seemed light enough to pull with our '06 Ford F-150, the floorplan looks great. We also intend to have the Thermal package added on, as there will be times where I'll use it for a hunting camp, we'll try not to be out in it during sub-zero weather, but the nights could push around zero.

At first, some of the hybrid TT's appealed to us, but since we live in grizzly bear country, a true all-around hardside camper is nice to have, plus a requirement in many of our campgrounds.

For all the 22FB owners out there, what kind of mods or add-ons would you recommend?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Here is a list of what I have done to mine:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight-22FB-mods

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #6

One more quick question: is the stove hood/vent that come with most of those Jayco's ported to the outside or is it just one of those "filter" types? Not a huge deal, just curious
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

It ports to the outside.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

First let me make clear that I have a 2011 Starcraft 235fb, but it was made in the Jayco factory and is an exact twin of the Jayco 22fb. (Jayco apparently purchased Starcraft)
Not sure if the 2012 or 2013 models have the huge fresh water capacity, but we really liked the 90 gallons of fresh water you can store. It would be nice if the black and grey were larger, but they are each about 30 gallons, so they last a while too. As others have said, the bed and the bath work very well, lots of room and comfy (both bed and bath/toilet). We also really enjoy the water heater (gas or electric option) and that you can turn it on from inside. Our 2008 Nomad had to be hand lit from outside the vehicle.

A couple of drawbacks we've found and a couple of mods we've done:
* Water heater is not adjustable and water is very hot. Note - there are some threads in this forum on how to fix this by mixing cold water in via the water heater bypass.
*The fresh water tank overflow tubes tend to siphon water out as you travel, resulting in the loss of sometimes over 1/2 the 90 gallon capacity before you get to your camping spot. There is a quick and easy fix for this on this forum here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=22fb%20water
*My wife gets sore hips on most beds that she sleeps in, so we added a memory foam topper for our mattress. Bed is now even more comfy.
*Added 2 6volt golf cart batteries in place of the cheezy and small auto battery (not even marine or deep cycle) that the dealer included. I"ve heard some folks don't even get a battery from the dealer, so I guess I can't complain too much.
*Added a couple of hanging wire baskets under the cabinets above the sofa for extra storage. Got these at Menards for cheap and they work well.
*Added a 3 shelf storage container inside the door (against the wall and the back of dining booth) to store shoes and misc. http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-3...i_detailbutton
*We mounted brackets to haul our porta-bote on the side of our trailer. It took some searching and ingenuity, but it worked out extremely well. pictures here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...Travel-Trailer
Most of these mods are just for added convenience. But that siphoning of the fresh water was a real bummer until we found the solution on this forum.
We really enjoy our trailer. Just right for 2 people, and as others said - not too big or long, no slides, but a good trailer for a good price.
Be careful in selecting your dealer - while we love our camper, and have praise for the company, we have no good words to say about the dealer and we would not purchase from them again EVER. It is a shame that the company can make such a good product and have it besmirched by a few really disreputable dealers.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #9

I can't add a whole lot to what others have said. For the two of us (and our dog), the 22FB is a perfect size. Pulls great with our F150 and it did quite well with our older Tundra. There's adequate space around the sides of the bed to get in and out. We even use the space for temp storage while underway.

No issues on the space between the sofa and the counter either. Two can sit comfortably. We spend most of our inside time at the dinette unless reading a book or watching the tube, which we don't do much. The vast majority of time is spent outside.

Like Dewey, I've moved to two 6Vs in place of the single 12. I've also added an internal surge protection unit that gives you real peace of mind when hooking up. We also replaced the thermostat for a Hunter digital that does a great job keeping the inside at a more even temp. Reinforced the rear bumper so we can carry our bikes, installed articulating-arm TV mounts, wire shelving in the bathroom ward and cabinets above the counters & dinette. Foam topper for the mattress, etc.

Overall, there's lots of storage room in the 22FB so be watchful of your overall weight.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #10

Folks, THNX much for your insight on the 22FB! Another reason that we're not looking for a bigger TT or one with a slideout is that we plan to spend as much time as possible OUTSIDE! But yet, have a comfortable unit with adequate room to "move around".

2 of the main attractions to the 22FB was the walk-around bed and what seems like a larger then avg. bathroom. Again, we haven't actually looked at a 22FB yet, basically going off floorplans and insight here on Jayco Owners. We do plan to check one out in the next couple of weeks. THNX!