Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Terrible Mattress!

After our second trip last weekend, I have decided that the Denver mattress in our New Eagle 266RKS has got to go! I am not a small man and when I lay down, the mattress goes from 6 inches thick to about 2 or 3 inches. My back bothered me more than usual. I am used to sleeping on a Tempur Pedic at home. I like and need a firm and supportive mattress. I just ordered a new memory foam mattress from Mattress Insiders that is 8 inches thick. It is made in the USA and has a 20 year warranty, like the Tempur Pedic. They have all RV sizes with free shipping. Ours is the 60X75 short queen. I hope this will solve my problems, if not they have a 30 day complete refund policy.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

I hope that one works out for you!

Have you ever noticed how proud dealers (and seemingly Jayco) are of that mattress? Watch a few walk-through videos on Youtube. They say stuff like "Jayco spends more money on this mattress than any other manufacturer does on their mattresses".

I would have to say "Money NOT well spent"!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Wow...

I find my Denver mattress very comfy compared to the mattress that came in my previous TT.

In fact I went camping one weekend and those 4 nights were the best sleep I ever got while camping!

But I only weigh 150lbs so that could have an impact also!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Our said it had the upgraded pillow top. I would hate to see the standard one !!!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Our said it had the upgraded pillow top. I would hate to see the standard one !!!
+1!

It might be "better" than the standard, but that's obviously a comparative statement. How bad is the standard mattress that this "upgraded, special, pillow-top, amazing, blah blah blah..." one is BETTER?!

Perhaps it is "better" but it's still so bad, I wish they hadn't even put it in. I would rather have not paid for it at all.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Yeah, thats what ours is. Jayco uses that as a selling point! If thats the best they got, I have to laugh out loud, "Literally!"
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #7

the standard mattress on the x213 puts the hurt on me!
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

We gave the original mattress to the neighbor kids to jump on and put a foam ($400.00) QVC in with a 2" memory top (Costco) and sleep as well as we do at home. The struts won't hold it up when we need to access under bed storage but a piece of 1 x 2 fixed that asap.
LarryG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG2 View Post
We gave the original mattress to the neighbor kids to jump on and put a foam ($400.00) QVC in with a 2" memory top (Costco) and sleep as well as we do at home. The struts won't hold it up when we need to access under bed storage but a piece of 1 x 2 fixed that asap.
Larry, we bought a memory foam mattress for our Pinnacle too.
They are heavy and the struts would not hold it up, I bought higher lb. rated struts, problem solved.
The bed was much easier to lift and it stayed up with the heaver mattress.
The new struts were about $25 each.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 316 View Post
After our second trip last weekend, I have decided that the Denver mattress in our New Eagle 266RKS has got to go! I am not a small man and when I lay down, the mattress goes from 6 inches thick to about 2 or 3 inches. My back bothered me more than usual. I am used to sleeping on a Tempur Pedic at home. I like and need a firm and supportive mattress. I just ordered a new memory foam mattress from Mattress Insiders that is 8 inches thick. It is made in the USA and has a 20 year warranty, like the Tempur Pedic. They have all RV sizes with free shipping. Ours is the 60X75 short queen. I hope this will solve my problems, if not they have a 30 day complete refund policy.
I am curious how the new mattress you ordered is doing.
We bought from the same company and got the 8 Inch thick mattress, great customer service, we love it. (We did do a custom mattress with the Mattress Insider as we wanted a firmer mattress than their standard)
When we recently traded our Jayco for SOB that was one thing we did was move our memory foam mattress to our new 5th Wheel and put the new 5th Wheels mattress in our Jayco trade.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #11

My 2013 Eagle 266RKS has the standard Denver Mattress (they didn't start putting the pillow-top in until the 2014 models). After reading so many complaints/recommendations, I added a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I didn't care for it at all! Too firm, initially, then formed a dip where I was laying that made it impossible to turn onto my side, or even change positions. I took the advise of a couple of folks here, and laid the memory foam on the plywood (like a box spring) and put the Denver Mattress on top. Just for grins, I added a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress pad (left over from my old trailer) on top of that. Now, it feels just like my Simmons Beauty-Rest Pillow-top at home. It's firm, but not hard - with just a little "cush" on top.

Mind you, I haven't actually slept on it yet - only laid on it and sat on it. I'll be giving it the official test sleep in 3 weeks, when I start my "full time" camping adventure. I'll report back after a week or so . . . if I can drag myself out of bed (lol).

While I was at it, I moved the bed struts 4" toward the foot of the bed. The change of "leverage point" does a much better job of supporting the additional weight of the memory foam, pad, linens & blanket. And I didn't have to spend $50 for new struts!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We bought from the same company and got the 8 Inch thick mattress, great customer service, we love it. (We did do a custom mattress with the Mattress Insider as we wanted a firmer mattress than their standard)
When we recently traded our Jayco for SOB that was one thing we did was move our memory foam mattress to our new 5th Wheel and put the new 5th Wheels mattress in our Jayco trade.
I haven't actually received the mattress yet, suppossed to receive it next week. I'm glad you like yours. Looking foreward to trying it out. I figured I would have to make some changes to the struts.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
My 2013 Eagle 266RKS has the standard Denver Mattress (they didn't start putting the pillow-top in until the 2014 models). After reading so many complaints/recommendations, I added a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I didn't care for it at all! Too firm, initially, then formed a dip where I was laying that made it impossible to turn onto my side, or even change positions. I took the advise of a couple of folks here, and laid the memory foam on the plywood (like a box spring) and put the Denver Mattress on top. Just for grins, I added a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress pad (left over from my old trailer) on top of that. Now, it feels just like my Simmons Beauty-Rest Pillow-top at home. It's firm, but not hard - with just a little "cush" on top.

Mind you, I haven't actually slept on it yet - only laid on it and sat on it. I'll be giving it the official test sleep in 3 weeks, when I start my "full time" camping adventure. I'll report back after a week or so . . . if I can drag myself out of bed (lol).

While I was at it, I moved the bed struts 4" toward the foot of the bed. The change of "leverage point" does a much better job of supporting the additional weight of the memory foam, pad, linens & blanket. And I didn't have to spend $50 for new struts!
If your system doesn't work out, I know where you can get a pillowtop "cheap!"
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #14

Innerspring mattresses are problematic to begin with. We've all shopped them in department stores and mattress stores and find prices from a couple hundred to several thousand. It's impossible to price compare because every store has its own set of model names, although chances are they're all pretty much the same at a given price point if you're looking at one of the major S's. (Odd how the major brands so often begin with that letter.)

My point is, we shouldn't expect much comfort from the cost-conscious RV industry. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, replace it. We've gone to two-bladder air mattresses both in the RV and at home. Not cheap, roughly a thousand and up. DW's much lighter than me and likes hers much firmer than I do. So we both get what we want and our backs do better.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

Our original mattress was left behind at the RV shop where we bought the RV.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #16

one night on ours and that was enough. Put a 2" gel foam on top the next morning and that did the trick.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #17

We put a 2 inch memory foam mattress on top that we bought at costco. Makes all the difference!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote