Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

The obligatory new owner post....

First of all - thanks to all of you as this forum has helped a ton already. I picked up a new 2016 X213 last week and we are learning the ins/outs of owning a TT (we just upgraded from a Jayco Pop-Up). I have been trying my best not to ask the same questions that are already addressed on these forums but still need your advice on a few things if that is OK.

• I bought the Rhino Flex with the caps on it, but when you put caps on it then it no longer fits in the bumper? Any ideas here?
• The caps that you take on/off the bumper – seems like those wont stick on after a while. Is there a better long-term solution for capping the ends of the bumper?
• I see the crank for the supports is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheel but this crank seems flimsy to me. Do you usually get a specific wrench for your wheels?
• If I get the X chock for my trailer do I still need regular chocks? I would assume so but wanted to ask. Any brand recommendations for the X Chocks?
• What do you suggest to put under the wheels for leveling? I see the a few options: 1) boards, 2) those plastic block things that snap together or 3) those ramp things that you drive up on to the correct height. What is your preference? And I guess I just buy two sets of whatever I select, one for each wheel (on one side) correct?
• For the leveling feet I am going to a 6x9” beam I cut up into 12” lengths. Heavy yes but does the job. If there is a much better solution would love to hear it. I just see myself getting buried in those plastic leveling blocks otherwise
• I was told that I should not run the AC if I have the TT parked at my house because a standard plug is 20amp and I really need 30amp connection to run the AC without hurting it. Thoughts?
• Do you have a preference for water hoses or does any old food safe hose do? I was told to add a pressure regulator to the spout side of the hose and a 90 degree elbow to the TT side – do you agree or is this overkill?
• We have one of those washer things inside the black tank but I am being told to invest in a wand that I stick down the toilet? Thoughts?
• Its tricky to get into the top bunk but not sure I want a full ladder per se. Anyone use a stool or alternative to a full blown ladder?
• Does anyone ever cover their power tongue jack? Seems like the buttons on that thing could use a cover of some sort.
• The speaker inside the cabin is pretty lame. Is it easy to replace with a better one? Or will that require a lot more than just replacing the speaker?

Sorry for all the questions. We are planning to eat and sleep in it one night in the driveway and then stage two is taking it to a local campground a few miles from our house so we can get used to the whole set up and take down thing, including the dumping which is entirely new to me

Thanks again!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper! I'll give you what feedback I can:

- RhinoFlex in bumper - I have the 15' RhinoFlex with caps and it fits in the bumper fine. Don't put both caps on before storing because it traps air inside and it won't compress all the way down. I cap and put the sewer drain end in first - once it's fully compressed and just before sliding the trailer end in I put that cap on. You may need to turn the end a little to get it to line up. It's snug but once lined up you should be good.

- Lug nuts on wheels - pick up a decent 4-way spinner. I can't see using the crank for the stabilizers for this.

- X-chocks - these are intended to stabilize only so get a set of regular wheel chocks and put them in place first.

- Leveling block - for my single axle I just use the yellow interlocking tiles. At the moment I have just one pack but after the last trip where I had to scrounge up some good sized rocks to put under the front stabilizers I am thinking about a second pack.

- Water hoses - we use a good quality white hose intended for potable water. You definitely want to use a pressure regulator on the faucet side and most folks then add one of the "blue" RV filters right after that. The 90 degree elbow on the trailer side reduces the strain on the city water connection so that's a good investment as well.

- Black water tank wand - Results with this will probably vary. I've tried it and wasn't impressed. Don't skimp on the water in the black tank - you'll find numerous threads on this subject. If it's not full when we are ready to dump we'll finish filling it up with water before dumping. Also, consider getting a clear 45 degree elbow to put between the sewer hose and the trailer. This way you can ensure that your tank is draining clean before moving on to the gray tank.

Best of luck and happy camping!
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #3

First of all - thanks to all of you as this forum has helped a ton already. I picked up a new 2016 X213 last week and we are learning the ins/outs of owning a TT (we just upgraded from a Jayco Pop-Up). I have been trying my best not to ask the same questions that are already addressed on these forums but still need your advice on a few things if that is OK.

•I bought the Rhino Flex with the caps on it, but when you put caps on it then it no longer fits in the bumper? Any ideas here?

I thought the same thing at first,but it does fit just need to twist it just right and its slides in. Check inside where the holes are punched into the bumper to hold the end caps on mine had sharp edges that I needed to get in there and grind them down so they didn't rip the hose.

•The caps that you take on/off the bumper – seems like those wont stick on after a while. Is there a better long-term solution for capping the ends of the bumper?

I have seen some people put a little cable/chain onto them so if they do fall if they won't lose them.

•I see the crank for the supports is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheel but this crank seems flimsy to me. Do you usually get a specific wrench for your wheels?

If you have a cordless drill by buy the adapter and save yourself from cranking with the handcrank,much easier and as the previous poster said throw a 4-way in your storage compartment

•What do you suggest to put under the wheels for leveling? I see the a few options: 1) boards, 2) those plastic block things that snap together or 3) those ramp things that you drive up on to the correct height. What is your preference? And I guess I just buy two sets of whatever I select, one for each wheel (on one side) correct?

•For the leveling feet I am going to a 6x9” beam I cut up into 12” lengths. Heavy yes but does the job. If there is a much better solution would love to hear it. I just see myself getting buried in those plastic leveling blocks otherwise

I just use end cuts of 2 x 6 scraps from a construction site mostly because I'm cheap and they were free and I've been to a couple places that I needed to have over a foot to stabilize the legs.

•I was told that I should not run the AC if I have the TT parked at my house because a standard plug is 20amp and I really need 30amp connection to run the AC without hurting it. Thoughts?

I have used the AC plug into my outdoor outlet without any problems but I've only run it for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, and I didn't trip the house breaker.

•Do you have a preference for water hoses or does any old food safe hose do? I was told to add a pressure regulator to the spout side of the hose and a 90 degree elbow to the TT side – do you agree or is this overkill?

I added pressure regulator in the blue filter but I can imagine the 90° elbow would help. I bought a 25 foot and a 50 foot water hose just in case I needed extra.

•Does anyone ever cover their power tongue jack? Seems like the buttons on that thing could use a cover

I have a cover on mine but it came with it. I have seen covers on Amazon if you want to purchase one

![/QUOTE]

Good luck I'm sure others will chime in
2019 Tundra 5.7 4x4 SR5 D/C
From the great Granite State
Bigmoo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to JOF! I wish more new members would take the time to tell a little about their background. It helps a lot when trying to answer a question posed if you know more about their experience level.
Many questions you pose are just personal preference. For instance those caps that come with the rhino hose are useless to me cause my hose is rinsed and in a outside carrier. I want it to dry not stay wet. If I stored it in my storage, I might want to use them.
Here is how I close my rear bumper cap. Pic #1 and where the hose and fittings go in pic#2

I use the bumper to store my hose supports.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

I used to cover my elec tongue jack with an inverted 5-gallon pail, held to the tongue with a bungee. Kept the Jack motor protected, yet allowed any moisture to dry, plus you can ALWAYS use a 5-gallon pail in camp!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Protect that jack with something else you will have future corrosion problems. I have seen buckets, golf bag covers, plastic bags, etc... You get the idea!

Hoses - I carry a 25' , basic whit hose drinking safe, that stays connected to my pressure regulator. and rolled up when not in use. I also carry a spare 25' for when the first is not enough or a squirrel bites the first one!

Lug wrench - I carry a 4 way in the truck tool box and a 4 ton bottle jack. Electric rear stab. are nice!

Tank Wand - I have one and use it every season by running it up the black drain valve and giving it a good flush. It doesn't help the probes at all, but it make me feel good to know that it is clean for a few minutes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

Welcome aboard, and congratulations! I'm going to stick some answers inline below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
• I bought the Rhino Flex with the caps on it, but when you put caps on it then it no longer fits in the bumper? Any ideas here? It's not the question you asked, but definitely get a clear 45-degree adapter for the sewer hose connection. It may not be fun to look at, but you want to be able to see what's coming out of there, like it or not.
• The caps that you take on/off the bumper – seems like those wont stick on after a while. Is there a better long-term solution for capping the ends of the bumper? Camco makes good replacements - I got the version that has a steel wire to keep it from getting lost. I get lots of Camco stuff at Walmart, cheap.
• I see the crank for the supports is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheel but this crank seems flimsy to me. Do you usually get a specific wrench for your wheels? I have a separate torque wrench just for that. Never needed it.
• If I get the X chock for my trailer do I still need regular chocks? I would assume so but wanted to ask. Any brand recommendations for the X Chocks? IMHO, yes, you do need regular chocks as well. X-Chock is a brand name, but there are other similar products.
• What do you suggest to put under the wheels for leveling? I see the a few options: 1) boards, 2) those plastic block things that snap together or 3) those ramp things that you drive up on to the correct height. What is your preference? And I guess I just buy two sets of whatever I select, one for each wheel (on one side) correct? Popular opinion seems to be that Andersen Levelers are the best thing out there. I have something similar, PLUS a bevel-cut 2x8 board for extreme cases.
• For the leveling feet I am going to a 6x9” beam I cut up into 12” lengths. Heavy yes but does the job. If there is a much better solution would love to hear it. I just see myself getting buried in those plastic leveling blocks otherwise I just cut a bunch of 2x6 and 2x8 pressure treated boards into about 10" lengths and stack 'em as needed. Had 'em on hand, so it was a cheap solution.
• I was told that I should not run the AC if I have the TT parked at my house because a standard plug is 20amp and I really need 30amp connection to run the AC without hurting it. Thoughts? You'll pop the home circuit breaker before anything else happens. Trust me, I know.
• Do you have a preference for water hoses or does any old food safe hose do? I was told to add a pressure regulator to the spout side of the hose and a 90 degree elbow to the TT side – do you agree or is this overkill? Yes, get a drinking-water-safe hose, and get a pressure regulator.
• We have one of those washer things inside the black tank but I am being told to invest in a wand that I stick down the toilet? Thoughts? Can't see that you'll need the wand if you have the black water flush system. I used a wand with my old TT, haven't needed it since I got a new TT with black water flush. Just my opinion.
• Its tricky to get into the top bunk but not sure I want a full ladder per se. Anyone use a stool or alternative to a full blown ladder?
• Does anyone ever cover their power tongue jack? Seems like the buttons on that thing could use a cover of some sort.
• The speaker inside the cabin is pretty lame. Is it easy to replace with a better one? Or will that require a lot more than just replacing the speaker?

Sorry for all the questions. We are planning to eat and sleep in it one night in the driveway and then stage two is taking it to a local campground a few miles from our house so we can get used to the whole set up and take down thing, including the dumping which is entirely new to me

Thanks again!
Good luck, and happy camping!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

• I bought the Rhino Flex with the caps on it, but when you put caps on it then it no longer fits in the bumper? Any ideas here?

I use the Sewer Solution. Compact enough to not need to go in the bumper and has the clear face to see what's coming out (as others here mentioned was desirable - and it is). It's much easier than dealing with the hoses, hose support system, etc.

• I see the crank for the supports is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheel but this crank seems flimsy to me. Do you usually get a specific wrench for your wheels?

I have a regular cordless drill with a socket for the leveler jacks. I don't have anything specific for the wheels.. But I probably should.

• What do you suggest to put under the wheels for leveling? I see the a few options: 1) boards, 2) those plastic block things that snap together or 3) those ramp things that you drive up on to the correct height. What is your preference? And I guess I just buy two sets of whatever I select, one for each wheel (on one side) correct?

I have and love the Andersen Levelers. I just added a large bubble level to the front of the TT so that I can set the Andersens in front of the wheels, and see myself when I am level. Easy peasy. I have the leveler blocks (which I used previously), and use them now for the leveler jacks and/or tongue jack if/as needed.

• I was told that I should not run the AC if I have the TT parked at my house because a standard plug is 20amp and I really need 30amp connection to run the AC without hurting it. Thoughts?

First, I would highly recommend a surge protector - Progressive Industries is generally considered to be the best from a product and customer support perspective. The higher end models will show you how many amps you are drawing. I find that with the AC compressor running, I am drawing 15A on one leg and 3A on the other, so I should be able to run it on a 20A circuit. My old TT - a 2006 Keystone Cougar - ran the AC just fine on a household outlet without tripping the breaker at all.

• Do you have a preference for water hoses or does any old food safe hose do? I was told to add a pressure regulator to the spout side of the hose and a 90 degree elbow to the TT side – do you agree or is this overkill?

Any drinking-water safe hose will be fine. A pressure regulator - like the surge protector I mentioned above - isn't REQUIRED, but is certainly recommended as cheap insurance. If the CG has water pressure that is too high, you risk the internal hoses rupturing, flooding your trailer. I put the regulator on the spigot, then have a Y-splitter on that. One feeds the city water connector, the other feeds the Sewer Solution.

• We have one of those washer things inside the black tank but I am being told to invest in a wand that I stick down the toilet? Thoughts?

With the built in flush, you shouldn't need the wand.

I never have and haven't had an issue yet.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

These responses have been very helpful and I have already made a few purchases.

Thank you!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

EV,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Like Norty, I have the vinyl fence post sleeve for my sewer hose. I also have a 4" u shaped gutter the sewer hose sits on inside the sleeve. If needed, the gutter is used as a support. IMHO, do not buy the accordion style sewer hose support. I thought it was useless! When stretched out, as you dump the tanks the hose sags between every support!!! Now what good does it do if you still need to help the hose drain.... Lol After 1 use I ditched it!

Any quality white/blue hose that is drinking safe. I actually have 2-50', 1-25', and a 10' hose. There has been times I actually needed a little more due to our site not having water h/u, but our friends 2 sites over did. I do have a 90* fitting also.

I use 2x10 boards for leveling. I have two that are just short enough to fit width wise at the tailgate. I also have a couple short board for only one tire. I use a combo of a 4x6 on top of a 2x8 for the stabilizer jacks.

"Normal" wheel chocks, YES! While some only rely on the X-Chocks, I don't trust them 100%. I set the regular wheel chocks after leveling side to side, unhook, level front to rear, THEN set the X-Chocks after getting the electric and water hooked up. Allows the tires to cool a little more. If you set the X-Chocks right away, as the tires cool (get a little smaller) the X-Chocks will end up being loose. One of the big reasons to still use regular chocks....

1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench for a tire change if needed. I do use a cordless driver to raise and lower the scissor jacks. Ever since our boys lost the "fun" in cranking the jacks, I bring the cordless driver! Lol

I have covered the last tongue jack (Atwood robofoot), but the shape of the factory jack didn't fit my small kitchen garbage can, and I haven't made it a priority to find a new one that fits.... I will probably end up replacing the factory jack with another Atwood beforehand.

Not sure about a bunk ladder for your rig. Maybe do more searching here and over in RV.net to see what people may be using....

I have ran our a/c on low off a 20amp outlet. It is the only thing on that circuit, so maybe that is why it has worked. Won't run on high though.

I bought a set of the insect proof bumper caps that you need to squeeze the middle a little to install or remove. I also cut down a 4" gutter to fit inside the bumper, and store the hot dog forks on one side, and the fire tongs and poker on the other side.... Cut a 2x4 and screwed it in the middle to act as a stopper.

Enjoy the new rig!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote