Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

There's a tear in my beer...

This Columbus Day Weekend will be the final trip of the season for me and the DW in our new 2015 Jay Flight 27RLS. Come Tuesday, my RV will be winterized and stored for the next “10 months” of winter we enjoy here in Western New York.

A few minor issues/clitches arose this summer with our unit. I did ask and did receive valuable and insightful information and help from many of you in this forum.

In short, I thank you!

I wish all of you the very best and as always, Happy Camping!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

THE NEXT 10 MONTHS!!! In 10 months it will be August. In 6 months you can enjoy all the finger lakes and the end of April or first week of May I'll fly up to the 1,000 islands between Cape Vincent & Clayton to start DWs garden for the summer. We're originality from Rochester and had this home for 40+ years now and we always open up by the 1st week in May( a little chilly but no hard freezing).
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #3

You are right Tunce! We have been to all the places you have mentioned.

With "tongue in cheek" I said 10 months of winter since it seems at times to be that long.

Next time you are in Clayton, let me know. I'll buy you a beer at O'Brien's Tavern.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

Sadly, our last trip will be at the end of next week for our annual Halloween camp. Then she gets winterized and tucked in for a long winter's nap. :'(
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #5

I've tipped my share at O'Brien's going back to the 70s and my last one was this past August. Going back to that neck of the woods is like time warp. In Cape Vincent the post office is just 1 room and in the Bank the teller knows your name and never asks for ID.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Team

We usually spend our last trip of the year at James Island County Park, which coincides with the first trip of the new year as we come home on Jan 1st.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #7

Our first frost is still quite a bit away so .... reservations have been made for this Halloween weekend and we're making plans for the week before xmas.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
With "tongue in cheek" I said 10 months of winter since it seems at times to be that long.
I recognized your humor immediately. We've had vacation property just west of Adirondack Park for several years. There are 2 seasons: Snow & Blackfly. Each lasting 10 months.

Further south, (I live and work within 2 hours of NYC) the trailer has to be winterized as long as there is danger of frost. It seems like there are only 3 months above freezing.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

Our last scheduled trip starts October 17th, we have gotten our moneys worth since our May purchase. My dilemma after that is when to winterize. Winters here can be mild and being an old Upstate NY boy myself I love them for getting out and hiking, back yard fires etc. There are tons of campgrounds that stay open year round but a stretch of freezing weather can come hard and fast. I'll probably err on the side of caution and keep a close eye on long range forecasts.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping the trailer safe from freezing damage, but able to use on a whim during the winter, if so I'd love to hear.
Edit: I got your humor about NY winters immediately, especially if your over there near Lake Ontario and that lake effect snow!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Our last scheduled trip starts October 17th, we have gotten our moneys worth since our May purchase. My dilemma after that is when to winterize. Winters here can be mild and being an old Upstate NY boy myself I love them for getting out and hiking, back yard fires etc. There are tons of campgrounds that stay open year round but a stretch of freezing weather can come hard and fast. I'll probably err on the side of caution and keep a close eye on long range forecasts.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping the trailer safe from freezing damage, but able to use on a whim during the winter, if so I'd love to hear.
Edit: I got your humor about NY winters immediately, especially if your over there near Lake Ontario and that lake effect snow!
How cold do you normally get? and for how long? In GA, I might just blow out all the lines and only have a jug of antifreeze just incase you get a really cold snap. We have already had frost, but no extended cold weather yet. As long as the days are warm, I will not winterize, and the nights do not get below the mid 20's, which might be the end of the month.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
How cold do you normally get? and for how long? In GA, I might just blow out all the lines and only have a jug of antifreeze just incase you get a really cold snap. We have already had frost, but no extended cold weather yet. As long as the days are warm, I will not winterize, and the nights do not get below the mid 20's, which might be the end of the month.
In the Mid-Hudson Region of NYS, we have the risk of below freezing nights from mid October through late April. Generally, November to March will guarantee sub-freezing overnight temps (with a rather odd "January Thaw" smack in the middle!)

Generally, the daytime highs will be above freezing. But we get 3 or 4 "cold snaps" where the overnight lows go down to 0F (or lower) and daytime highs don't make 20F for a couple of days each.

Upstate, like Albany? Subtract 5 degrees. Go west from there? Add 20-30" of snow.

Personally, I would love to know how to use my trailer in February. I've got a Superbowl party to attend with one of the couples that built a year round retirement house near our campsite.

And proud of it!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

Normal for a few weeks with lows in the mid to upper twenties, freaky weather is maybe a week with lows in teens and highs in upper twenties. That's why it's tough for me to think of not doing winter camping, the summer air is steamy and barely moves, winters= fresh clear air, invigorates and puts a spring in my step!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #13

I know the feeling. We are camping this weekend (and we camped last weekend as well) and we are hoping to get 1 more weekend in on the 24th before packing it in till April/May. Extended forecast is looking good at this time for us to be able to get that last trip in so fingers crossed!
Campfire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #14

Ten months is an extreme exaggeration. We are in WNY and usually start camping late April, ending maybe the first week of December. The only months we can't get in are usually January and February.

We'll be camping the Columbus day weekend as well. Monday I'll drain and winterize the water system as well. Lots of camping left though. A jug of water works just as well. We still have a TV, microwave, furnace and all the lights.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We'll be camping the Columbus day weekend as well. Monday I'll drain and winterize the water system as well. Lots of camping left though. A jug of water works just as well. We still have a TV, microwave, furnace and all the lights.
Please elaborate on how to use an RV in below freezing temps.

I'm used to having hot & cold running water and a flush toilet. How do you function without them?

And proud of it!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post

I'm used to having hot & cold running water and a flush toilet. How do you function without them?
I winterize the lines but keep 1 gallon jugs of water in the tub ( around 8) for dishes and toilet use. If the temp. stays in the 20s night and day I'll add 1-2 cups of antifreeze to the black and grey tanks. You can always shower at any YMCA or YW, many health clubs and we've done it at RV parks that we are not staying at by showing them my Good Sam card and paying them a fee of $2.50-$4.00 as their drive thru guest. If you have a KOA card you can do the same thing, I don't but that's what my friend does when he dry camps on the west coast.
I just heat water for dishes and for us this is just camping and it keeps us young even thou were retired. We smile every day were outside enjoying out surroundings and chasing Tunce all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
We smile every day were outside enjoying out surroundings and chasing Tunce all over the place.
Who needs a flush toilet?

We have owned our private campground for 28 years. The trailer we had for the 1st 27 didn't even HAVE a bathroom. Our custom built outhouse is clean and odor free and it has served us well.

We have a Rubbermaid pan that fits in the sink perfectly. Next to it is a 2.5 gal jug with a bottom faucet. The stove heats water just fine. Or the microwave. We can still cook, wash dishes, etc.

Our winter campouts are just for the weekend. We can live without a shower for just 1 night.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice.

We've camped in a cabin without plumbing. It did have an outhouse. All water was in bottles, pots or scattered outside.

So, if I want to use the trailer in the winter, I'm going to have to fall back to that way of thinking, even though the pieces (sinks, toilet, etc.) are present, just unusable.

I've got an invitation for a Superbowl Party with one of the couples that has a house in the area where we boondock. So, I'm planning way ahead of time for this event. They spoke glowingly of using their trailer in the winter while they were working on their house.

I'm not convinced yet. I replaced too many ice-damaged pipes in my old trailer when we had a frost before I got to winterizing. Yes, I know they have nothing to do with each other, but superstitions persist.

And proud of it!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

To each his own. In our case, we don't mind a few minor inconveniences to be able to enjoy the great outdoors.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #20

Agreed. Blow the lines, pump the pink, and camp all year long.
The only thing to watch out for is ice while towing. The trailer tires aren't good in the snow, and no tires are any good on ice.

One night without a shower won't kill ya.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote