Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

thermostat installation problems

Hi all. Newbie here lol. I have a 2001 24ft jayco qwest tt camper. I had a manual coleman mach thermostat that went bad so I purchased a seven day honeywell thermostat. Well I'm completely lost on what to do and I can't find anything on the internet or what any of the colors do or where they go. And I was hoping someone will point me in the right direction. Btw. My wiring for the camper is. A/c has a blue, red, green, white. And furnace has a red and white one. And theirs a 16gauge wire.
link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

http://www.amazon.com/8330-3862-Cole...tal+thermostat

I just bought this one and am awaiting it arrival
but the wire color chart is list along the side of the post
note without a toggle switch you loose the two speed A/C on your Honeywell
The Coleman Mach I'm told by Wiser Forum members then I is wire for wire
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

You may have an issue with a regular house hold vs one designed for an RV. The main reason is that they run off different voltage. RV is designed for 12 volt vs 24 volts for normal thermostats.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Here is a link to a youtube video that will show you how to use your new Honeywell tstat. Its not the best video but it works. https://youtu.be/RFmyzGhHIgw
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #5

I just need to figure out what color does what inside my camper. And than I might finally get somewhere lol
link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Check this link out Link: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...html#post23464

It's what I used back in 2011 when I replaced the Coleman with a digital and everything worked perfectly when I was done.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

Unless you are an electrician or good with wiring, it would probably be best to buy a like replacement. I purchased the Coleman Mach digital for my replacement and it wired up direct to the same color wires.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #8

Link,

I wouldn't advise using the Honeywell model you purchased. I tried to switch over to a Honeywell last month. Thought I had it hooked up right, and the AC worked great. But when I switched over to heat, I got nothing. After about 30 minutes of waiting for the heat to kick on, I checked the thermostat and it was very hot! Pulled it off the wall and it cooled down (eventually). Hooked it back up the next day, and found out the system was dead, and there was a scorch mark on the back of it. Removed the Honeywell and reinstalled the original Mach analogue T-stat; system still dead. Enlisted the aid of another well-known JOF member (who knows considerably more about trailer electrical systems than I do), but he was stumped too. Finally opened up the JOF web page, did a search for "Digital Thermostat", and found the solution: Furnace Reset Switch had tripped. Took a few minutes to find the switch, but once I toggled it back to on, the light came back on and so did the furnace & AC.

Took the Honeywell back to Home Depot, and plan to order the Coleman Mach in the next couple of days. Yea, its a few $ more than the Honeywell ($60-$65 on Amazon vs. $30 for the Honeywell), but - based on Amazon customer reviews - I know it will work. Based on my experience, I'd advise you to stick with the Coleman Mach digital. It's an exact color-for-color swap-out!

JMHO!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

I too tried a Honeywell thermostat (based on a Trailer Life article) and could not get the heat to work. I haven't swapped the old thermostat back in but plan on getting a digital Coleman at some point. In my experience, very few of those wire colors meant anything as Jayco used their own color standard. If you try the Honeywell, take pictures, make drawings and figure out what each wire does based on where it is attached to the original thermostat.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote