Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Thetford

When we bought our Jay Flight the dealer had it winterized. After reading, too much, I decided I needed to pour a bit of rv antifreeze in the stool to maintain the seal. I was already planning on installing a "riser" as DW and I both have bad knees and backs. After just a couple of days, the bowl was dry. I now think it may be better to replace the complete unit. I have watched U-Tube, read instructions, etc. but I would like first hand experience. Has anyone here done this replacement ? What problems, if any, did you encounter and what additional plumbing items were neede, as in, extending the water supply line ? Thanks in advance for your time, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

I have done it in a 248RBs[2014]. Easy install. Dometic 310 with china bowl, high model. My wife hated the thetford and the flush by hand. Grandson would use it and pee would be everywhere. I sold it for 75.00 anf bought the Dometic for 162.00
[ http://newparts.colawrvsalvage.com/s...ge-toilet-310/ ] Wife is happy so all is okay now.
Only proble I had was making the plumbing fit. I had to cut the main line. and install a new pex fitting, but I had the tools for this. Jayco plumbs to fit, the thetford line was at the handle, dometic is on the floor.
BillMc
check ebay colaw is also there and offers free shipping
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

You can just buy a gasket kit and that should it for around $20.00. Check out the camco web site it should be listed.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

^ What Tunce the traveler said... on the antifreeze though.. the "cheap" RV antifreeze will break down seals in the exposed to air (like your toilet seal, and its why RV repair facilities don't leave RV antifreeze in the toilet) and over time, other seals in your water system.

Just be careful when winterizing your system, and don't save 3 bucks on antifreeze on your $50,000 trailer.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LLRV View Post

Just be careful when winterizing your system, and don't save 3 bucks on antifreeze on your $50,000 trailer.

Just because it costs more its better? Whats the criteria for quality rv antifreeze? Do I need a chemistry kit to test it?
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Not because it costs more is better. I am just pointing out that the "Splash" antifreeze has been known to do damage to seals. The Zecol has a specific additive that does not harm water systems, and is considered GRAS by the Food and Drug Admin. The Splash is not.

A chemistry kit is not needed, I am just pointing out that there is some stuff on the market that CAN do harm to you and your system. Just pointing out to do homework.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

I installed a high rise China in our Designer it wasn't that hard to do used the existing bolts in the floor. Biggest problem was not much room to work. Definitely a worth while upgrade
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote