Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
The temps in the summer turns the rigs into ovens and speeds evaporation. Dry P traps can't keep out odors. Same with toilets. As for the buckets of water, I'm not sure how long or how much they would retard

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
We have an elderly lady that has a seasonal in AZ. She stated everyone in their park fills dozens of 5 gallon buckets of water and lines all the hallways and various areas with full buckets. She states when she comes back in the fall they are all empty. The reason she said they do it is the heat dries out all the glues and wallpaper, glued joints all fall apart. In the winter after winterizing I place a small amount of mineral oil down each drain and in toilet. This also keeps the antifreeze from evaporation.

As for what to do after each trip, that depends on the length of time to the next trip. At minimum I wash down the frig and freezer and make sure it is dry. My frig (Norcold) has a special latch that can keep the doors propped open about a inch, once dry I use the latch. The only other thing we do that was not mentioned above is give it a good cleaning.

I do wash the HTT about every other time we are out, unless it was really buggy.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
while we are up here in Payson, in our Bungalow in Gold Canyon we keep 2- 5 gallon buckets of water full. The water keep humidity in the trailer so the wood doesn't dry out. When we go back every 2 weeks we make sure the p-traps are full and so is the 5 gallon buckets. Never heard about anti freeze in the p-traps. I know I did that when we had our home down south up at 6000 feet and gets real cold so not to freeze the pipes.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Posting here to keep in mind all the great tips that you guys posted. This helps a ton for me a newbie!
Davebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Davebird View Post
Posting here to keep in mind all the great tips that you guys posted. This helps a ton for me a newbie!
Yeah, there has been a lot of great tips......I overlooked the toilet water for the seal. I cleaned an organized inside today. Do not know when we will next use it and in all honesty it might be next summer but hopefully not. This was our first trip and it exceeded expectations.

Cheers everyone.

2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 186BH
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7L Hemi, 3.92 axle.
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote