Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1

Thinking about an 05 Jayco TT

Can you help out a newbe? I am looking really hard at a 2005 Jayco Baja 23. It is hard to find any information or reviews on this TT. Can any one here provide me some feedback or a review or thoughts on this unit. It looks like the Baja Travel Trailer was only made for 1 year.
It seems pretty nice to me, it has a tandem axle, a 2800 Onan gen set, a fold out rear kitchen, a manual awning and looks to be the right size for a solo camper besides my 90 lb dog! I will mostly camp on BLM lands as I take my dirt bike in the back of my truck.
So what do you all think about the Baja?
Thanks
Captrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Can't help you there with the baja but here is a post from someone very recently about a baja http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=baja
and some other post about baja on the forum
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=baja
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=baja
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

I think he is talking about this model. It is actually a TT. Jayco named their PUP the same in later years. I saw one of the 2005 Baja on one of our dealer's lots.

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/ar...=fp&mod_id=419

I like the outside kitchen. Hope this helps.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

Hi Captrick. As it so happens I just joined the forum yesterday and I happen to have a 2005 Baja 23FB. I have owned it for over a year now and have taken it on several short trips and one long trip from San Antonio to Northern Idaho and back (about 6,000 miles). I pulled it with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the big Hemi. I will tell you this, the trailer is awesome it pulls great and the Jeep did a good job at it, but it is a heavy trailer. It is built for off road use and that is exactly why I bought it. When you see it parked next to a regular or lite weight trailer you can immediately see the difference. The frame is much stronger, the tires are larger and have an agressive tread. I have taken it on some pretty rough dirt roads with no problems. I even got trapped in a parking lot spot by cars that parked too close to me. No problem, I put the Jeep in 4 Wheel Low and just drove over the Island Curbs. The Jeep and the Baja didn't blink an eye. Problem solved! I have owned several trailers and a 35 ft motor home, and I must say, for it's intended use this is a great trailer. There is plenty of space inside, with all the amenities, but it is the outside features that shine. The outside rear cooking area is great and I even have an electric 12/120 volt electronic cooler I put out there. Then there is the outside shower. I am a SCUBA Diver so after a dive I can shower and clean my gear without messing up the full, but small inside shower. As an extra bonus this trailer has an unusual storage feature. Under the Front Queen size bed is a large outside storage compartment that goes almost the all the way across the trailer, similar to a 5'r. The only reason it doesn't is because of the Generator Box on the opposite side. My generator was missing when I got my unit, but I picked up a nice almost new unit that I will be installing when I get home from Brazil (I work offshore) next month. I just bought a new 2013 Ram 2500HD 4X4 Diesel Truck Because I didn't like the way my F150HD pulled it, and the Jeep while it pulled OK, it sucked gas something terrible and slowed down on some of steep grades we have on the west coast. I will be upsizing in a couple of years to a 5'r but I am going to keep my Baja because it can go places (in comfort) that a 5'r can only dream about. I am not sure, but when I compared my Baja to my brothers Toy Hauler TT it looked like we hade the same size frame but my tires where a little larger. Like I said, it's a little heavy, but I have taken it places you wouldn't dare take a regular trailer. I Love my Baja. It's a Keeper.
RVSailor66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5

Not familiar with this model, but owned 2 pop-ups when the kids were with us and my daughter have a jayco pop-up and love it. The good news about looking at an 05 is you are looking at a used unit, which means any manufacturer flaws after 8 years should have taken their course. Key things to look for with a pop-up are:
1] the tent material -tears, meldue, cut screens.
2] Lift system - have the owner raise the top several times.
3] overall condition of interior / exterior - look for signs of excessive or careless use
4] appliances and utilities - make sure things like the AC etc work

Enyoy. We loved our pop-ups because they were so easy to tow and meet your basic creature comforts. In retirement we have started traveling to places with BEARS and preferred to have hard sides around us.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. As with any used RV, first and foremost check for signs of LEAKS.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote