Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Thinking about buying a 28BHS

Hey all. The wife and I have been looking at replacing our current tent trailer and moving up to a hard walled trailer. We have looked around and have found that the layout we like the best so far is the 28BHS. We do have some concerns about the lack of clothing storage in the rear for the bunk. With three young kids this is a bit of a concern. Also in the kitchen the one cabinet that is beside the microwave goes really far back, what do people put back there. Just looking for any information from people who have had this layout and how they've set it up.
BLT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

We were seriously considering the 28BHS also until we saw the 267BHSW. Similar floor plan with a full size slide and a little less $ than the 28BHS. We purchased the 267BHSW a month ago and love it. We upgraded from a lance camper.
sevenmallards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Greetings. Welcome to JOF. I am a proud new owner of a 28BHS. I haven't had the chance to get out in it yet, but trust me when I say I have researched everything and am a Jayco trailer fanatic. The 28BHS was most appealing to me because it included bunks, a simple slide to open up floor space, and most of all the L kitchen. It wasn't too long, or too heavy, but had everything including sleeping for up to 10 if needed.

Ours has the double over double rear bunks. We chose this because we are planning on 2 kids, one bunk each. Keep in mind the rear bunks are pretty big especially for a kid, so keeping a duffle bag or two (or bins) of clothes on each bunk is totally easy. That's how I plan on doing it.

The 267BHSW is also a fine unit, but wasn't an option for us. I am 6'4 and this model has a wall immediately at the foot of the mattress. I simply wouldn't fit or sleep comfortably in it. The 28BHS has a wall too but it's a good foot and a half from the foot of the bed. It's actually kind of nice having the private front bedroom.

I also really like the idea of having a couch that faces the dinette (28BHS) rather than having them side by side (267BHS). It's much easier for conversation since it is more of a living room style rather than bus stop seating style. I also like having the big window over the dinette that faces out to the campsite so when you sit on the couch you can look right out over your site.

You will need a beefy half ton at least to tow the 28BHS. The tongue weight will sit between 800-1000lbs so keep that in mind with payload on your vehicle. You mentioned you have 3 kids so I assume a family of 5, plus gear, maybe a dog... You will want something with at LEAST 1500lbs of payload.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Greetings. Welcome to JOF. I am a proud new owner of a 28BHS. I haven't had the chance to get out in it yet, but trust me when I say I have researched everything and am a Jayco trailer fanatic. The 28BHS was most appealing to me because it included bunks, a simple slide to open up floor space, and most of all the L kitchen. It wasn't too long, or too heavy, but had everything including sleeping for up to 10 if needed.

Ours has the double over double rear bunks. We chose this because we are planning on 2 kids, one bunk each. Keep in mind the rear bunks are pretty big especially for a kid, so keeping a duffle bag or two (or bins) of clothes on each bunk is totally easy. That's how I plan on doing it.

The 267BHSW is also a fine unit, but wasn't an option for us. I am 6'4 and this model has a wall immediately at the foot of the mattress. I simply wouldn't fit or sleep comfortably in it. The 28BHS has a wall too but it's a good foot and a half from the foot of the bed. It's actually kind of nice having the private front bedroom.

I also really like the idea of having a couch that faces the dinette (28BHS) rather than having them side by side (267BHS). It's much easier for conversation since it is more of a living room style rather than bus stop seating style. I also like having the big window over the dinette that faces out to the campsite so when you sit on the couch you can look right out over your site.

You will need a beefy half ton at least to tow the 28BHS. The tongue weight will sit between 800-1000lbs so keep that in mind with payload on your vehicle. You mentioned you have 3 kids so I assume a family of 5, plus gear, maybe a dog... You will want something with at LEAST 1500lbs of payload.
Wow, you sound EXACTLY like me. My in-laws have an older trailer with the same basic layout as the 26BH and we have gone camping multiple times with them in it and we found that layout works well. However same as you the wife really liked the L shaped kitchen with the extra counter top space. I like the dinette facing the campground and being able to look at our space, unfortunately that is one of the only reasons we've decided to not go with a model like the 267BHSW. We also liked the same idea of the couch being across from the dinette.

The bins or duffel bags on the bunks is kind of the way we were thinking about doing it but was just curious on where anyone else was currently putting any clothing.

You are right about the truck. I have already ran the numbers using the towing capacity worksheet that I've found that most forums point to and towing it will not be a problem including future child growth. However I don't want anything bigger or heavier as I plan on storing it on my driveway when not in use.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

We liked the 28BHS for all the same reasons and my wife loved the front kitchen and counter space. What sold us on the 267BHSW was the full slide. I am also 6,4" and have a 5 year old boy that is already 4' talk so we felt like with the small slide of the 28BHS we would out grow it. The 267BHSW also has double wide bunks in the rear, and I fit in the bed just fine. It's a tad shorter than the 28BHS so easier to maneuver. I'm pulling it no problem with an F350 King Ranch with a 1,000lb eas-lift system.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Skybound,
Have you mounted a TV on the interior of your bedroom wall? I'm looking for options/ideas
Old 11-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #7

The 28BHS and 267BHS are identical from the dinette area back. The bunks and washroom dimensions are all the same. Same as the 26BH as well. I also have slept in the rear bunk with my wife and didn't have any issues. The bunk beds are actually a couple inches longer than the queen up front, believe it or not.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

I have not mounted one yet, but there is a spot for one up in the top right corner of the wall. Not sure if I'm going to use it or not... One TV in a trailer is plenty for me. There is another guy on the forum with a 28BHS that put a large TV dead center on the bedroom wall, and that looked pretty good. He drilled through the wall and upper kitchen cabinet and made a support bracket to hold the weight. That wall is only about an inch thick.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

I don't want one for the bedroom, but the living room area where it says to mount a TV doesn't seem like it will support a tv
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #10

Seven Mallards,
Have you checked out the 28BHBE for TV mounting options? I just bought '15 model in Oct and the tv is mounted in the center of this wall, however it has a neat option where it rotates between the living room and the front bedroom... If you would like I could take some pics and forward them to you
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Have had one now for 5+ years with three boys. Single over double bunk with small wardrobe cabinet. They also use duffle bags for clothes. Are there times we would like a larger trailer now that the boys are getting bigger? You bet, but it still works.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #12

Crabman, do you find the single over double more useful or do you think that the double over double would be more beneficial with 3 kids? You say it would be nicer to have a bigger trailer, do you find that the seating area just doesn't open up enough? Do you have a tv mounted in the main living area? The ones we looked at here didn't have any tvs so I was wondering if you can still see the tv decently from the couch.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Site Team

As far as bunks go, not sure which is better but with the single on top its easy for them to get up there since they have the double below to stand on. One usually sleeps on the fold down couch, they do not want to sleep together in the double, never have. The bottom bunk folds up for access to the rear storage compartment.

The living area is OK and the sofa slide opens it up pretty good compared to the 26BH which we also looked at, but a larger slide would be better on rainy days. If is nice out, we are outside mostly anyway so it works.

The TV in mine was supposed to be in the cabinet directly above the dinette. No good. You have to crane your neck from the couch to watch it, and cannot see it from the dinette. So we just stand it on the back of the dinette when we wish to watch TV, which in my case is not that often but here again when the kids are stuck in the trailer a DVD is a nice option. The TV is nearly at eye level from the couch when on the dinette which is good and can be also viewed from the dinette. Some units with this floor plan have the TV mounted on the wall that separates the dinette from the bunk room. I also have a TV mount in the bedroom but rarely use it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #14

My 28BHS has a TV bracket already installed on the wall between the dinette and the bunks. It extends outwards and also swivels over so the TV can face the couch directly. Going to put a TV in it next summer.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
Seven Mallards,
Have you checked out the 28BHBE for TV mounting options? I just bought '15 model in Oct and the tv is mounted in the center of this wall, however it has a neat option where it rotates between the living room and the front bedroom... If you would like I could take some pics and forward them to you
I have the 267 BHSW already, but the wall where the TV goes doesn't seem like it will support a TV
Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2002 View Post
Crabman, do you find the single over double more useful or do you think that the double over double would be more beneficial with 3 kids? You say it would be nicer to have a bigger trailer, do you find that the seating area just doesn't open up enough? Do you have a tv mounted in the main living area? The ones we looked at here didn't have any tvs so I was wondering if you can still see the tv decently from the couch.
We have the single over double with 3 boys. They wont sleep in the same bed so one is always on the foldout couch. By having the single upper you get the wardrobe cabinet.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #17

Just completed our 2nd full season in a 2013 28BHS, love it. After 8 seasons in a Kiwi 23B, the extra space and amenities make for a happy wife and three kids; 7, 9, & 11.

We have the double over double, use a ladder for access, store on bunk when not sleeping, kids love the huge space, they have their little "caves" to hang out when decompressing from the day and getting ready for bed. 11yo sleeps on J-couch sometimes, I use the 2 transit bars to level/support the couch when he sleeps there - yes he rolled off one night due to it angling down.

Storage - wife puts their clothes in little baskets that fit in the cabinet over the couch, works like a champ. Ours go in the bedroom storage. Also, plenty of storage in rear external compartment, we keep a lot of outside kitchen stuff, extra waters, extra linens in tote, life jackets, and built-in fridge there.

TV came already mounted with unit, uses an articulating arm and swivel.

Tundra tow vehicle details are listed in signature, live in Charlotte, NC area and have gone thru mountains on way to Cloudland Canyon in northwest GA, Mammoth Cave in KY, and Florida Keys. Took a few trips to get WD and payload distribution the way that I wanted it, as all 1/2 tons go, payload is a concern. The wife has driven 5 hrs from the beach with me and 4 hrs into the NC mountains solo when I had to come the next day, so Tundra handles it well.

Great trailer so far, had a couple of replacements during the 2 year warranty but all was taken care of; slide motor and CO monitor. I do miss the open air of the Kiwi23B from time to time, but happy wife + kids, you know the rest.

Get what you are comfortable with and Happy Camping.
Attached Thumbnails
12dec2015 import 029.jpg  
2003 Kiwi 23B (first camper - 8 seasons)
Jayco28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote