Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
WCT

This happened to me

Hello fellow Rv'rs! I hauled my White Hawk 6 hours to my favorite spring steelhead river for a month of fishing. I got her all set up and filled my holding tank up, (no city water available). I turned on my water pump and all is good. On day 3, me and my buddy were cooking dinner after a long day on the river, and I heard my water pump kick on and not turn off.

We both look at each other because we were not running the water at the time. I heard water running in the bathroom, and rushed in to see water shooting out from behind the toilet. Turned off water pump and investigated. Come to find out, the valve behind the toilet had two little pin holes in it. I have no idea how that happened because I have been using the water in the trailer for 3 days before this happened.

A little more information, I did not use the toilet at all since we were remote, and had a portapotty to use, and have not touched the toilet since I winterized it last fall!

I checked all the lines on the trailer looking for a shutoff valve to the bathroom so I could use my water. No shutoff valve, so I was waterless!!!!! I had to make a quick trip home, which takes me right past the dealer. They confirmed there is no shutoff valves that turn water off at certain locations.

I bought a valve and took it back with me and spliced into the line that feeds the toilet and kept the valve off and now can use my water again. 5 minute fix!

I bought a couple of extra valves and now keep them in my trailer in case I have another leak on the road and can install them on the line that leads to the leak.

Sorry for the long story but I hope this helps a fellow Jayco Owner.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Great advice, thanks for the report
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #3

Had the same basic thing happen to me on the first day of a 3 day weekend. We were in a park with our local RV club. Got set up, shore power and water on, sewer hooked up. It was time to go socialize when I noticed water on the floor outside the bathroom. Had to turn the city water off. Used up all our dry towels sopping up water. Finally got the floor mostly dry and proceeded to pull the toilet off the floor. Got the valve off and headed out at about 4:30 PM on Friday afternoon in a town I'd never visited before on a quest to locate an RV store. Got lucky and found one just before closing. They had the correct valve! Another hour of re-assembly and we were finally able to re-start our weekend. So I ask you, why do things always break at inopportune times and for no apparent reason? Methinks it is just one of those mysteries of the RVing universe.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #4

Is this on Pex system? Do you carry Pex tools? I've thought about purchasing some Pex tools but have not pulled the trigger as of yet.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Is this on Pex system? Do you carry Pex tools? I've thought about purchasing some Pex tools but have not pulled the trigger as of yet.
Hey wags, have you heard of shark bite fittings? www.sharkbite.com I was thinking 5 valves for most RV's. One after the pump, kitchen sink, bath sink, shower, and the toilet. No tools needed to install the valves or any of their fittings.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #6

Yes I have...so no tools needed to remove existing fittings?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #7

Existing sharkbite or pex fittings? If sharkbite, you push a collar down, with a $2 tool, and you can disconnect the fitting. Existing pex fittings are crimped, an assumption and should be crimped, and must be cut out. Is that what you were asking?

$2 tool

Edit to add: I guess you would need pipe cutters to cut the existing pex to install the sharkbite valves...

$20 Kobalt PVC Cutter
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
WCT

Hey Russ that's exactly what I was thinking as well! It never fails when this stuff happens when you're miles away from home. When I bring the trailer home I'll stop and have them replace the valve since they have to pull the toilet.

The valve I got was a valve that you didn't need clamps to put on. Also for everybody's information that don't know the valve on the back has an arrow on them which indicates water flow. that is important to know. Don't ask me how I know!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #9

Why do these happen at less than convenient times -- simple, because that is when we use them. Most of us aren't using our RVs mid-week in town with stores abound. Often it's weekends and holidays when you are trying to get away.

That said, I try to hedge a little by bringing my TT home a couple days before each trip and and set it up and run all the systems in my front yard, where I am more able to handle these situations.

OP, thanks for the suggestions on adding valves. I had not thought of that before, but will be adding them.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
Existing sharkbite or pex fittings? If sharkbite, you push a collar down, with a $2 tool, and you can disconnect the fitting. Existing pex fittings are crimped, an assumption and should be crimped, and must be cut out. Is that what you were asking?

$2 tool

Edit to add: I guess you would need pipe cutters to cut the existing pex to install the sharkbite valves...

$20 Kobalt PVC Cutter
Guess I was thinking the d-crimper tool. But if you just cut out the existing fitting then you would just need the cutter. Interesting Home Depot carries the line, but they only have two fittings. Will have to try online to pick up a few possibly needed fittings. I assume most fittings are 1/2" in Trailers.

Thanks for the information, like the idea of valves, just makes sense. Wonder why the factory would not install them.. guess few dollars here, few dollars there and it adds up.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

yep,all about $$$$$$ Poor QC just good enuff to send out the door
Pass on to dealer to check and then pass on to consumer.
Back for Warranty work. BLA! BLA! BLA ! LOL!!!!! JMO
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

The pin holes and leaks....When I first set up my trailer all the valves worked fine. I went home after turning off the water at the source. I came back two days later and I had a leak in two valves after a few hours of them being turned on but not right away. I replaced all 4 under the kitchen and used metal valves and not the cheap plastic one's that came with the trailer.

It only takes a little frozen water to cause breaks in these plastic valves.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
yep,all about $$$$$$ Poor QC just good enuff to send out the door
Pass on to dealer to check and then pass on to consumer.
Back for Warranty work. BLA! BLA! BLA ! LOL!!!!! JMO
From Jayco standpoint, I can understand everything is a balance. Some want valves, some want better tires, others want better radio, better mattress, better faucets, better whatever. They could certainly build a top of the line product with all top of the line accents, at a top of the line price. They try to build the best product for each price point, of which they have a number of price points. Unless $ were no issue, I doubt we will ever get a production unit with everything we want.

I'm happy with what I have gotten, and, those things that are important to me, I will add as I can. Overall Jayco does a good job of providing a good value. JMHO .....

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #14

X2, WAGS. I couldn't afford the TT if it had everything on it I wanted. LOL
Plus, it wouldn't be any fun not having to upgrade and modify, huh?
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #15

Shut off valves / stop valves is one of the first things we install on every rig, on every line, usually along with replacing all faucets. I won't get into the subject of "do you turn your water off when you leave the RV" as that's been discussed on other threads, but I think the OP's situation kind of answers that. We always turn it off when away, whether it's the pump or the park water.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
From Jayco standpoint, I can understand everything is a balance. Some want valves, some want better tires, others want better radio, better mattress, better faucets, better whatever. They could certainly build a top of the line product with all top of the line accents, at a top of the line price. They try to build the best product for each price point, of which they have a number of price points. Unless $ were no issue, I doubt we will ever get a production unit with everything we want.

I'm happy with what I have gotten, and, those things that are important to me, I will add as I can. Overall Jayco does a good job of providing a good value. JMHO .....
I agree 2
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote