Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
I pay attention, and I make sure we are prepped for rain and storms, I cannot recall a time that I was truly scared, but I have been nervous a few times. I have ridden out straight line winds a few times in tents, in the TT, in a bathroom house, in a neighboring concrete building, so far no issues. I have had a tornado go over our house, luckily it touched down a mile away. We also had a tornado go over us (Siren, Wi) in the late night while towing a canoe trailer as head to the BWCA. That particular case we did not know it was a tornado until the following week when we left the BWCA and we found out the town was destroyed, we actually stopped under the freeway underpass as the wind and rain was so bad we could not see at all.

As I pull into a CG I do pay attention to structures and where hazards are located. For example most of our state parks now have at least one bath house made of concrete and are designated storm shelters, it appears that as they replace then they are built as storm shelters. But not all of them are strong enough in my opinion. We have been in camp when the sheriff has rolled through on his bullhorn telling everyone to take shelter due to severe storms. In a bad storm with no shelter available lying flat in a ditch or in a corn field as flat can be, it will protect you. However, under a tree, you may have issues with branches falling, or lightning strikes. Two places we go have large concrete storm sewer sections above ground, and the kids play on and in them on the average day. But they are the CG’s storm shelter.

Last bad storm in this HTT, hit us in Montana 2 years ago. Straight line winds, hit us broad sided, I guess the wind speeds were in excess of 80+ mph. The HTT really rocked about. We were inside the HTT, DW and kid just kept reading, me I watched the canvas get blown in on the upwind side, glad there was the cable support for the bunk ends to help take some stress of the seams. By watching things move in the HTT and feeling the bounce, I guessed the HTT tilted over 2 inches as the wind blew, taking the upwind stabilizers well off the ground and probably lifting the wheels on that side too. I expected to see on the downwind side the stabilizers damaged. We experienced no damage at all.

Key is to be observant, think about what you might need to do in an emergency, before there ever is one.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
We rarely get thunderstorms and never get tornados. We do have a lot of huge old trees in British Columbia parks and I've gotten nervous a few times about one of those coming down in a wind storm onto my trailer. The really big ones make some seriously creepy noises when they are moving a lot.

]2013 Jay Feather X213
2003 Ford Expedition
Paulx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 AM   #13
How about lightening? Are you generally safe in the camper? If the weather forecast looks really grim, we will usually reschedule, but my work schedule changed this summer, so I can't really change my requested days off. We got stuck one year in a situation where there were tornado warning where we were staying and the whole way back to our house. That was HORRIFYING!
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #14
I don't worry much about lightning. In fact, I enjoy the light show. IMO, your chances of being struck are very small. The more likely risk would be an electrical surge coming thru the electrical power cord.

David472 is offline   Reply With Quote