Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Tire/Bearing maintenance frequency, advice

So We have a long trip coming up in a few weeks, around 4600 miles towed over 3.5 weeks.

My 2016 29BHDS was new last July, and has including the tow from the factory around 3600 miles on it currently from last season and early this season.

Would you recommend tire rotation and having the bearings checked before the long trip, or is that overkill and we should be fine until after? I have heard dealers say they should be checked after 3000 miles, which seems excessive to me but I am far from an expert in this area. What is usually involved in inspecting the bearings, do you just get the wheel free and check for rough rotation or literally pull off the drum, expose the bearings, repack them, etc.

I would think more like 10000 would be more reasonable on bearings and 5000 or so on tires (which we will exceed with this trip).

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #2

With a trip that long coming up, and have never looked at them, I would get the bearings packed. You never know if the factory missed one, or gave one a light packing.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Team

I would have them inspected after the first year just as a precaution. Then go from there.

Involves pulling the hub and doing a physical inspection of the brakes, hubs, bearings and seals.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

It would be best to manually repacking the bearings this first time. Then you could alternate between a manual repacking and using the ez-lube option. It is recommended to repack the bearings once a year or 12K miles, which ever comes first.

As for tire rotation, I went about 12-15K miles on my old tires and never rotated them. I just put new treads on and the tire shop recommended rotating once a year or when I notice a little uneven wear.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

I would highly recommend a bearing inspection and repack for any new unit before a long trip. I posted few weeks ago that I pulled hubs for the first time after 2 seasons or 5,000 miles. Found my outer bearings were a few miles from eminent failure due to lack of lubrication initially from new. I have the EZ lube axles and have greased them annually until purge. After analyzing the nearly failed bearings it was clear they were ran without proper lubrication early on before EZ lube fittings were used. I highly recommend hub removal, bearing inspection, manual repack using high temp wheel bearing grease such as pennzoil 707. Saw a fifth wheel on the side of I-95 last month with significant damage to right side to what appears to be hub failure. Appears to be totalled with all the damage.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Thank you all. I am taking it to a local camper shop (not Jayco) next week to have it done. I have rented from them in the past prior to buying this unit. Would love to do it myself, but I simply dont have time at this point before we take off. I will tell them to inspect the bearings and replace if needed, or maybe have them call me after they have them out so I can take a look myself.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote