Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Tire Size Increase

I've tried several avenues to figure this out. Maybe one of you can answer this for me. We are planning on upgrading our tires before our big trip this summer - Orange County, CA - Glacier National Park, MT.

We have a 2015 JayFlight 23MBH

Current size is 205 75 r15

Upgraded size 225 75 r15 with new wheels that can handle the D tires.

It looks like it is about 1 inch more diameter increase with the new set up. Will this work? It looks like there is plenty of clearance, but am I missing something?

Thanks!

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

As long as you have clearance I don't see an issue. You might want to upgrade to steel valve stems.

Just buy a quality tire, otherwise it's a mute point. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

Beech,

As Wireman posted, if there is enough clearance all the way around the tire, should be fine. Maybe stop by a local tire dealer and have them check the trailer for the upgrade.

Is the main reason for the upgrade to step from a LR C to a LR D tire? You didn't post what tires you are looking at, but Carlisle has a 205/75/15 D in the Radial RH tire.

Are you sure your current rims are only rated for a LR C tire? Check the inside of the rim, or the back of the spokes for a pressure or weight rating. If you have all steel wheels, it may be easier to check the spare tire.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Beech,

As Wireman posted, if there is enough clearance all the way around the tire, should be fine. Maybe stop by a local tire dealer and have them check the trailer for the upgrade.

Is the main reason for the upgrade to step from a LR C to a LR D tire? You didn't post what tires you are looking at, but Carlisle has a 205/75/15 D in the Radial RH tire.
Yes, the main reason is to get to a D or E tire. I'd like the extra cushion as I live in the Southwest and every trip requires a desert drive. The Carlisle tires are a good option in the D, as they have the higher speed rating as well. The extra inch of 1/2 of ground clearance the 225 offers is nice as well. Thanks again to both of you. I just need to check my wheels...if they can do the D range and 65PSI on the 205, that is a much less expensive option. Thanks again to both of you!

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjetpilot1 View Post
I've tried several avenues to figure this out. Maybe one of you can answer this for me. We are planning on upgrading our tires before our big trip this summer - Orange County, CA - Glacier National Park, MT.

We have a 2015 JayFlight 23MBH

Current size is 205 75 r15

Upgraded size 225 75 r15 with new wheels that can handle the D tires.

It looks like it is about 1 inch more diameter increase with the new set up. Will this work? It looks like there is plenty of clearance, but am I missing something?

Thanks!
I don't know whether you are "missing something" but I have the same concern.

When picking up my new 2015 23RB Jayco from Indiana RV, I had the shop install the 90-00-1000 Equal-I-zer hitch on my Toyota Tundra TV. Proper installation, according to the service people and the manual, suggests that careful measurements and adjustments must be made to ensure the RV and TV are essentially on a common horizontal plane. That suggests that later tinkering with larger tires or rims on either the TV or RV will undo optimum sway/hitch control without doing the preliminary measurements all over again and making adjustments for the new diameters.

Does it matter that much? I'm inclined to think it might. Anyone have any thoughts--although I'm not currently in the market for new rims or replacement tires on either vehicle. Its just going to be good to know when it comes time to replace tires.

Gharwali
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Here are Carlisle Trailer Tires "Radial Trail RH" specs.

Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
ODH

Quote:
When picking up my new 2015 23RB Jayco from Indiana RV, I had the shop install the 90-00-1000 Equal-I-zer hitch on my Toyota Tundra TV. Proper installation, according to the service people and the manual, suggests that careful measurements and adjustments must be made to ensure the RV and TV are essentially on a common horizontal plane. That suggests that later tinkering with larger tires or rims on either the TV or RV will undo optimum sway/hitch control without doing the preliminary measurements all over again and making adjustments for the new diameters.
After I got my TT home from the dealer I read the
Equal-I-zer manual and found that every single adjustment on the install was incorrect. The worst error being that the L brackets were mounted 4 inches to far forward, which results in a 25 to 30% loss of control according to Equal-I-zer customer service. Even if your dealer did a better job, the TT was unloaded, therefore, weighing significant less than your normal travel weight. Was your TV fully loaded? What I am saying is there are many factors that will effect WD hitch adjustment. Your trailer is probably at least 1/2 lower when fully loaded versus dry weight. If the tire size is changed the hitch adjustments should be checked to insure your WD hitch will provide maximum benefit.
ODH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

ODH: At the time the Equal-I-Zer was installed, the need to simulate a fully loaded trailer was recognized by all. Loading included a full fresh water tank (@ 800 lbs.) and another, plus or minus, 400 lbs. of dry weight--which was probably more or less in the ballpark for installation measurement purposes. Like you, once home, I consulted my hitch manual only to discover the servicemen had, within reason, properly mounted the hitch. Now, I can only conclude that I am experiencing maximum benefit from this hitch--it is certainly apparent under the many, different road conditions I've encountered so far. What this thread has failed to do is address the original question about what effect(s) increasing tire/diameters may do to the present hitch's effectiveness. Some diameter changes given within this thread are significant. I suppose the course of action is to make exact tire replacements whenever the need arises.

Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharwali View Post
ODH: At the time the Equal-I-Zer was installed, the need to simulate a fully loaded trailer was recognized by all. Loading included a full fresh water tank (@ 800 lbs.) and another, plus or minus, 400 lbs. of dry weight--which was probably more or less in the ballpark for installation measurement purposes. Like you, once home, I consulted my hitch manual only to discover the servicemen had, within reason, properly mounted the hitch. Now, I can only conclude that I am experiencing maximum benefit from this hitch--it is certainly apparent under the many, different road conditions I've encountered so far. What this thread has failed to do is address the original question about what effect(s) increasing tire/diameters may do to the present hitch's effectiveness. Some diameter changes given within this thread are significant. I suppose the course of action is to make exact tire replacements whenever the need arises.
A 1" increase in diameter only equates to a half inch of additional height (ie: radius) and maybe not that since the diameter quoted in charts is the unloaded diameter. The loaded/rolling radius/diameter will be less. I doubt the slight change in TT ride height will have any impact on the hitch set up. If it does, it's a simple matter to adjust the hitch accordingly. There are a lot of posts that illustrate how.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote