Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Too much drag on brake? Wheel bearing?

2017 Jayflight 28BHBE
Lippert Axle w/Superlube Hub &; self adjusting brakes.
Had the TT for about a year.

I know there are multiple schools of thought on the 'Lube' topic in this forum, but I am not seeking debate on method, rather an opinion on an issue.

Before heading out on a long road trip, I decided to lube up my hubs since the Manufacturer recommended 12 months or 12,000 miles. Used to do repack them on my PUP every year and adjust the brakes. So I was anxious to try the 'SuperLube' method.

3 of the 4 wheels no issue. Last wheel I struggled to turn the wheel and pump grease at the same time. Other 3 wheels had the usual slight brake drag but the 4th was really hard to turn. It felt like the brake was engaged.

During pit stops on our road trip to DC, I double checked the hubs for excessive heat, etc. Noting out of the ordinary but remain concerned. My thoughts are:

1. The self adjuster on the brake drum might be bad
2. The castle nut might have been installed too tight
3. Brake drum was over-adjusted at the factory
4. This is normal and not to be concerned

Taking it back to the dealer in a couple weeks for some warranty work. Just wondering if my concern is legitimate.

Thanks!
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

I pulled all the wheels on my 2016 - 28BHBE as soon as I towed it home from the dealer. I found all brakes way out of adjustment. 3 of the 4 bearings were moderately greased but not acceptable to me. The kicker was the 4th bearing. The castle nut was so tight the wheel was barely spinnable by hand. After taking the bearing apart there was next to no grease at all.

If I was you, I would pull all 4 wheels and visually inspect. It sounds like you have the ability so I wouldn't hesitate to verify all is good. Any one of your first three options are a possibility but the only way to know for sure is by pulling wheels...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm dragging it back to the dealer in about 2 weeks so I'll put the labor off on them. But in the interim, I'll check the castle nut first.

I read elsewhere that they seemed to be light on grease leaving the factory which prompted me to check them. I put about a tube in each one before the new grease was visible.

On a side note, I'll go back to repacking them by hand. I swear it took just as long to pump the new grease in/clean the old stuff out vs repacking them by hand.
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

We bought 2 Jayco trailers new, one in 2003 the current one in 2013. Both had at least one brake that would lock up and of course all had to be adjusted.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

I decided to grease my bearings two weeks ago after my trip out west. I also had one tire (drivers side, tire nearest the back) had a very bad drag. I clicked the adjuster based on instructions just enough so it would not turn then to back off a few clicks to allow it to move more freely. After two clicks to snug up the tire so I could then back it off the adjuster would not move. It was frozen in place. I ended up taking the trailer back to the dealer so they could figure out what is up with it. I am still waiting to hear the verdict.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

I don't trust dealers. I am fortunate to be able to do most of the maintenance and repairs on my camper and cars myself. I avoid dealers like the plague...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

I had the same problem, I ended up removing drum that wasn't fun since the brake was holding drum on. After drum was off adjuster backed rite off.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

I just got word from the dealer they have the brake issue fixed. Apparently a retainer clip was partially broken allowing the magnetic to create a drag. When I went and turned the adjuster-the clip broke completely setting the magnetic to seize the drum from turning. Nice to know the dealer took care of me and done under warrenty.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Same here, our TT one year old, we had dealer do bearings in the spring...we decided to check them all for brakes and freedom of movement. 3 of 4 were ok but forth was too tight, wheel did not move freely. In checking the bearings there is discoloration on the inside where it rides on the axle (not on the actual bearings themselves) they seem to spin all right. Our question is this discoloration ok or do we need to change the bearings? We think it may have come from driving with the castle nut too tight....
Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnAllen02 View Post
Same here, our TT one year old, we had dealer do bearings in the spring...we decided to check them all for brakes and freedom of movement. 3 of 4 were ok but forth was too tight, wheel did not move freely. In checking the bearings there is discoloration on the inside where it rides on the axle (not on the actual bearings themselves) they seem to spin all right. Our question is this discoloration ok or do we need to change the bearings? We think it may have come from driving with the castle nut too tight....
If it were me, I would change them. Swap them all out with Timkens and a good quality synthetic grease. .

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Thanks! We started with the bad one, next one burnt/discolored worse than the bad one, guess we are going to have to replace them all...and the spindle is discolored corresponding to the marks on the inside of the bearings...

We may have to cancel our trip!

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0276.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

What color grease does Jayco use at the factory?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

The factory grease in mine was very dark bluish / black...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #14

Marcm157,

Have you see this on a spindle before? This wheel was moving freely, so we didn't pull it! We had the dealer do our bearings last spring as it was still under warranty! So they were checked as they should have been!

DH will not do that again, he will do his own! He can't tell if this came like this from factory or happened at the dealer!

Lynn
Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnAllen02 View Post
Marcm157,

Have you see this on a spindle before? This wheel was moving freely, so we didn't pull it! We had the dealer do our bearings last spring as it was still under warranty! So they were checked as they should have been!

DH will not do that again, he will do his own! He can't tell if this came like this from factory or happened at the dealer!

Lynn
Unfortunately I've seen that and worse. Is that a gouge on the narrow part of the spindle just behind the threads?

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 AM   #16

It is two little marks close to each other, it is smooth to the touch with my index finger....looks like another one on the clear part of the spindle?

We had a Dexter Axle once, it had a mark like this on it. We called them, they had an engineer look at photos of it. It was determined that it would be safe as long as it was not near where the bearings ride. They did offer a new axle but assured us it was not dangerous! We did not get the new axle and it did not bother us! Not sure how Lippert Axle will respond! There may be pointing of fingers here!

Is this burnt from being too hot?

We have been doing bearings for about fifteen years. This is the first time we had them done by someone else...this trailer HAS a dealer close to us, and a TWO year warranty, so we had it done by them!

We have never seen one that looked like this!

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0281.jpg   IMG_0280.jpg