Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Took delivery of 2011 Jay Flight 26RLS

Friday we took delivery and had our walk through with our new 26RLS. We were so excited and nervous in the thought of driving it home across town from the dealer during the 5:00 rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Were we nuts? We didn't get into the dealer until 1:30 to processing the paper work, the thorough walk through and picking up what new minimum parts we will need to get started and the new hitch set up on the truck took us that long. We were still in shock when we finished. We then had to get the propane tanks filled and head home. All went well on the drive home. DH did a wonderful job and we got the TT backed into it's slightly tight spot on the side of our house in it's new carport, (or should I say RVport).

Our 12 yr old DD wanted her Dad to watch the movie RV with her so he would learn what not to do with the black water tank. Too funny.

All in all we made it home safe and opened a bottle of champagne I had chilling (apple cider for our DD) and celebrated in the new toy. So far we love the lay out and now it is my turn to start stocking it for our maiden voyage.
We will be heading up to Payson (about an hour and half from Phoenix) for 4 nights (Wed throught Sun) and Thanksgiving. We have no hookups so it will be dry camping for us. We love to cook our Thanksgiving meal outdoors with all the fixings. We have done this for many years with our PUP and have loved it. This will definitely be different with the TT. We will still cook the turkey outdoors in the rocket roaster and the rest of the fixings I will make during the day. I can't wait. I will have to get lots of pictures.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #2

Hi Mary Anne. Way to GO!!! I remember getting our new (now to us) Jayco TT many years ago. What a great feeling. Before heading into your long trip (with no hook-ups), may I suggest 2 days of camping under your RV Port. If you need to get something inside your house or garage, then you'll need that same item on your long trip. If wondering, this how we loaded our 19ft TT (our first TT) many years ago. If we needed it in our TT that "trail run" weekend, then we bought a replacement for our home. Even can openers and pillows are mandatory when camping...

Again. Congrats on your new Jayco - under your RV port. Way to go!!!!

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #3

Yea! Mary Anne.... you now have your new tt! I'm reallllllly surprised that your dealer didn't fill your tanks for you.... hmmmmm. Consider that when you fill out the survey (most dealers fill the tanks!).

Have fun in Payson and definitely share those pics with us!!!! Congrats

Ummmm curious.... rocket roaster? Is that the same as Barrelslime's dutch oven? (I'm cooking challenged if you haven't noticed! Thank Gawd for Chef Don or I'd starve... ok maybe not, but we enjoy crispy well-done goodies when I cook LOL!)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks Spike and healthi. I still have all the stuff from our PUP in bins so I can transfer some of it to the new TT. I plan on doing that today. There will be things we won't need that we had to take with the PUP. I will miss the PUP but the creature comforts out weigh. And the older we get this just seemed the way to go.

Healthi, I also thought the dealer would have filled the tanks. When we purchased the PUP they had our tanks filled. But we only paid $500 over their cost to order our unit because it was the first one ordered like it in the area. They have been an honest dealer with us and have a great reputation for customer service and their service dept. It is a family owned and operated business just like Jayco. Anymore I don't sweat the small stuff we can take care of.

Question on the propane tanks. We filled both and it was only 14.1 (gallons? pounds?) Does that seem right to you all for both? We are not used the larger size. Just wondering.

Here is a picture of a rocket roaster. It sounds like we are sending the bird to outer space. The drip pan under the bird collects all the drippings for making gravy, yum. The only downside to cooking this way is you can not stuff the bird. Dressing/Stuffing has to be done seperately. It only takes 2 1/2 hours to cook the bird like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...s=garden&img=2

So today we will be packing and getting things ready to leave on Wed. We will turn the fridge on AC on Monday to prechill it. Then transfer to propane before we leave.

Thanks for all the kind words and help.

Mary Anne
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Your new Jayco

maromeo, I know you will enjoy your new Jayco. We have had several popups in the past and after a very short time you will cease missing it. We are on our 9th rig and have enjoyed each one in its time.
Hope you have a great thanksgiving. I lived in Arizona many years and in Scottsdale when it was 2500 persons. It was a great place in those days. I spend a lot of time near Payson and on the Rim in the early 60's. A lot of water under the bridge since then.
Happy camping.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

1mtnman, We will be at Houston Mesa Campground just north of Payson. It is close enough to the city but still in the Tonto National Forest. Yes, Scottsdale has changed alot since then. We are located on Cactus and 56th St. It was horse property then, maybe Orange Tree Golf Course was just a pipe dream in the 60's. But now Scottsdale and Cave Creek are all one place.

Where in CO are you located. My Uncle and Aunt just relocated to Broomfield about a month ago. We hope to head up that way in June to see them. They used to live for many years in Niwot just outside of Longmont.

Easycamper, I was the one holding onto the PUP. DH wanted to trade a couple yrs ago but I wasn't ready. After our last trip, I felt it was time even just for him. We always worked as a team setting up and tearing down so I hope that won't change (except maybe at the dump, I will let him have that duty). We got such a good deal and great service it felt right to both of us.

Today I am starting to clean and load it up for the Thanksgiving trip.

Mary Anne
Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #7

Your new jayco

maromeo, I am in west Loveland,co just off Hwy34 which is the route to Estes Park. Have been here for 16 years and a volunteer backcountry ranger for the USFS during that time. If you need info on this area or Colorado let me know.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #8

Congratulations on the new Jayco..I am envious..my husband and I love that model but not sure we can pull with our truck..we are planning on going to the rv shows this winter and talking to the sale reps..I have considered other models just in case we can't tow this one..but the 26rls is our favorite...
iluv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #9

iluv2camp, We actually purchased our TT sight unseen. I had done enough research online and spent time looking at the Jayco quality on other Jay Flight units. The dealer would show us larger models of the floorplan but we didn't want anything too large to tow. From tongue to bumper it is 30ft. We felt that is the largest we would want pull for now with our TV and it fit on the side of our home so we didn't have to store it offsite. It was well within the towing capacity of our truck. When we towed it home, it towed like it wasn't there, (realizing it was empty.)

I do love the floorplan and there is only 3 of us so it was good for us. The kitchen is nice I just wish it had a few more cabinets or drawers but this will give me an excuse to clean stuff out. It is not huge but we love it. We hope to take a cross country trip this June from AZ to NY for a graduation. That will be the real test. Enjoy the search. If I can answer any question regarding the unit please let me know.

We were so excited to take out the TT this weekend for it's maiden voyage, had reservations made, turkey is thawing in home fridge, DH installed 2nd battery. I was packing clothes and getting some food ready. DD came in and said she had a really bad sore throat. Yup, went to the Dr.'s, it is strep. Not only is it in her throat but also in her stomach. Poor thing. 1st antibiotic didn't agree with her so she is on her second one today. Thought it would not be a good idea for her not feeling up to par to go. So I cancelled our trip today. We will be home, having Thanksgiving here and start decorating for Christmas. Not all is lost. I told her we can hang out in the TT over the weekend if she feels up to it. Maybe in a week or two we can take a weekend trip. At least we will have everything in there by then. Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving. I know we will. At least we will be healthier.

Mary Anne
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #10

Greetings Mary Anne,
Congratulations on your 26RLS. We are new owners of the same model (Sept2010) so far we absolutely love this model! I hope your daughter is all better and you have been able to enjoy a couple outings
joyride
joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #11

Joyride,

We did get a chance to take out the new TT last weekend. We found out that we are too big to fit at our favorite campground. But we did find a place we like and has a lot to do not too far from home. Everything worked well and we love the big back window. We hope to do more camping since we live in a warmer climate here in AZ. We will be making a cross country trip at the end of June so the new TT will come in real handy for our travels. We love the floorplan and for 3 of us it is just perfect.

I had to laugh because we had to do some modifications to our side yard to fit our new toy there too. Here we have to protect more from the sun than anything else. This weekend we will be working on the walls and doors. The roof and side supports are done. It is a lot of work but worth it in the long run.

Mary Anne