Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
Camping Couple: I just finished a 2100 mile round trip to FL with mine, and I have the exact same tires and size as you. I will admit that I did think about it, but in the end they performed perfect.
Thanks CDavid. I'll be watching my side mirrors! It makes me feel better knowing this. Hopefully the guy in China that was running the press when my tires were made had a good night's sleep
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #22

I had TowMax tires on our old 2005 hybrid, and I had fully intended to replace them after 5 years like everyone recommends. But one thing led to another and I couldn't get around to replacing them until they were 10 years old. There were some minor sidewall cracking and the treads were pretty close to the wear bars, but I never had any problems with them at all. The date of manufacture was sometime in '04 and I replaced them in '14. Yeah, I know I was playing with fire, but it also helped that the tires were covered for 5 months out of the year, and the trailer weighed no where near the combined capacity of the tires. I also religiously checked the pressure any time the trailer was moved. Judging from my experience with this brand, I wouldn't be worried if I ended up with them again.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #23

well tire capacity is part of it but I know I have had a number of blowouts with trailer tires before the 5 year mark ... dates on the tires are important but I always check between the tread and not just the outside ... all of mine that have blown have been from tread splitting and when one blows look for the other ones to go soon after
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #24

I don't believe you can see the damage that leads to a blow out in a radial tire. The damage is internal and it leads to heat generated by friction. When the cord layer separates from the outer casing the only evidence will be heat build up or noise. Your tires should run at the same temperature all around, when one is building more heat there is an internal problem with that tire.

I don't use a TPS but I always check the temperature of my tires on every stop and we stop often.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #25

We had Goodyear Marathons on our last 2011 TT, went out West twice and made several trips to Fla., all total probably put 20k on them and never had a problem. amd towed many days with temps above 90 degrees. But I regularly checked the inflation on them, and checked tire temps at rest/gas stops. When we traded it in in January, the tires showed no sign of wear or sidewall cracking. Hope the Tow Max we have now will do as well.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #26

Actually, you can SEE the damage. When you look accross the tread area, it will NOT be flat. Instead, it will be very convex with the center tread portion being elevated. This is indicative of a bad belt, and time to get them off! I had many a GY Marathons do this on my 28' Pace race trailer. Have had good luck with Maxxis.
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #27

Much negativity has been anecdotally related about Tow Max tires in online forums. Yet there are no hard numbers or nothing from the NHTSA about recalls or high numbers of official complaints. Many owners have swapped out perfectly good tires out of fear because of anecdotal posts on the Internet. For every post I see where someone had issues, several more post that they've had Tow Max tires for 5 years or more.

While I don't doubt that people have had their issues with them, I'm also not seeing people with blowouts on the side of the road. Keeping in mind that there are many thousands if not millions of these tires on travel trailers.

All that said, I'd be very interested in the date codes on those tires. Rule of thumb is to replace tires at 5 or 6 years regardless of visible condition. I know that our Tow Max tires are 1 year older than our trailer. So potentially your tires could be 4 years old and may have started disintegrating from the inside just from age. Living where you do, I'm sure temperature and humidity play a factor in tire life.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #28

JayFllight
(a giant cheese grater and peeled the center like a giant orange.)
Not sure I understand this but could you have an alignment problem? The alignment can be off and cause the wheel to not just roll but also slide down the highway and lead to a bad wear pattern. The misalignment can also create excess heat in the tire. Maybe the tire overheated. Then again it could be a bad tire that simply separated. Hope you get the problem solved.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
Actually, you can SEE the damage. When you look accross the tread area, it will NOT be flat. Instead, it will be very convex with the center tread portion being elevated. This is indicative of a bad belt, and time to get them off! I had many a GY Marathons do this on my 28' Pace race trailer. Have had good luck with Maxxis.
I agree to an extent. Lots of normal looking tires blow out. Things go down hill quickly once the bonds break internal to the tire.

On another note: I don't think people should just replace their tires due to internet reputation alone. I changed out my OEM tires for two reasons. First, they were not correctly rated for the load IMHO. Second, I never shop price on tires or brakes, this is where brand means more to me than money.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #30

China bombs, mine crapped out in the 2nd year... discount recommended Carlisle who moved production back in the US so far so good...
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #31

To the OP - have you also considered checking your wheel bearings? If you have 2 blow outs on the same side then something isn't right. I would check wheel bearing and brake condition to make sure something isn't generating extra heat.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #32

Eldermike thinks like I do.
Also, SkyBound has a good point about dragging brakes or wheel bearings.
A hand held infrared temp gauge used to check brake drums, wheel bearings and tires at each highway stop, is what I do.
I have 2 years on my TowMax. About 12,000 miles.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #33

Found out something interesting today. Tow Max tires are made in China by Dynamic Tire Corp for Power King which is actually an Ontario based tire company.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #34

I dodged a couple of big Power King Tow Max bullets this weekend....

I bought my 2013 351RLTS fifth wheel in September of 2013. The factory tires were Power King Tow Max ST235/80R16 radials. I've put less than 2,000 miles on the trailer since I've owned it.

This past weekend, I took my annual spring trip to Texas Motor Speedway, about 125 miles from home. I am always meticulous about the maintenance on my truck and trailer before any trip, because I take these trips to have fun, not to work on stuff. All four tires on my trailer were set to 80 psi a couple days before my trip.

I drove over to TMS last Wednesday. Anytime I take a left or right turn, I take a peek at my tires in the mirror to make sure everything looks okay. When I made the left turn from I-35 to FM 1171 in Lewisville, Tx, I noticed that I had a problem with my left front tire. I assumed it was flat. I slowed to 30 miles per hour and took a detour down 377 to Roanoke. There is a Discount Tire store there. I had called ahead to the store and they told me that they had a pair of Maxxis tires in stock.

When I arrived at the store, I discovered that the left front tire wasn't flat, but that the belts had separated at the shoulder of the tire. The first pic is of that tire. It's hard to see it in the pic, but the tire on the left is deformed at the shoulder from the 12:00 position all the way around to the 3:00 position.

I bought the two Maxxis tires they had and had them installed on the left side of my trailer. $414.

After enjoying my weekend at TMS, I returned home yesterday. After I arrived back home and was unloading food and clothes from the camper, I noticed that the right front tire was going down. I had kept the seemingly still good left rear tire that Discount Tire removed last Wednesday. I just finished installing that tire in the right front position on the trailer. The tire that I removed from the right front is in the second picture. It is coming apart all the way across the tread. Another few miles yesterday, and it would have been a blowout.

The date code on the tire I removed this morning is 3512. That's well short of three years old.

The two right side tires on my trailer will never see the highway again. I'll get two more Maxxis Tires from Discount Tire before my next trip.

I really wanted to get away from trailer tires and put LT tires on my camper, but there is so much difference in the load rating and my camper is so heavy, I just didn't feel comfortable doing it. I feel like all trailer tires made today are absolute junk, but since the consensus is that Maxxis is the best of the bunch, I'll go with a set of those, and we'll see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Justin-Roanoke-20150408-00048.jpg   Sulphur Springs-20150413-00051.jpg  
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistzz View Post
China bombs, mine crapped out in the 2nd year... discount recommended Carlisle who moved production back in the US so far so good...
So you have Carlisle's mounted and they say "made in USA"?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #36

I fret every long trip on my blowmax and am to the point that the Maxxis are coming into the short term mod list for this year. I temp read them, check pressure before and upon setting out for return.

One thing that would help get a recall on these is to register issues with the NHTSA. For all the bad threads out there on these having only 55 complaints seems very low.

Here is a link to file a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I don't know what the threshold is for action.

Appraently the Heartland and Keystone forums got wind of this tool! Only one Jayco complaint.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #37

For those of you that had issues, have you reported them to the NHTSA?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I've put less than 2,000 miles on the trailer since I've owned it.
This is not in defense of Tow Max, but any Trailer/MH tire manufacturer will tell you letting them sit is harder on tires than driving/towing them. When you use them you keep the oils migrating in the tire. When they sit they dry out.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This is not in defense of Tow Max, but any Trailer/MH tire manufacturer will tell you letting them sit is harder on tires than driving/towing them. When you use them you keep the oils migrating in the tire. When they sit they dry out.

Perhaps, but I put the exact same number of miles on my dually. It has older tires, and they don't separate, come apart, and blow out.

The problems with my tires last week were not an issue of rubber deterioration. It was the tire construction itself that failed.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #40

Jayflight, same issue here. Towmax on my Pinnacle passenger side blewout on April 11. In my review of the damage of my rig with a local dealer, they encouraged me to 1-report to Jayco directly and 2-report to NHTSA. I've done both. My tire had less than 4000 miles on it.

I am happy to report that in my communication with Jayco, they have offered to cover the cost to replace all four of my rig tires. I've done so with Goodyear Gladiators. The Jayco customer service rep reported to me that they have discontinued using Towmax. Hopefully they have received the "signal" necessary from customers.

I encourage all to do the same...1-report to Jayco customer service and 2-report to NHTSA. NHTSA has an easy online reporting system. I would expect no less from Jayco then their offer to reimburse you to replace the Towmax tires they installed on your trailer.
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote