Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #21

I went 4X4 and the 6.2 Gas, have been very happy after 37,000 miles put on it in 1 Yr. Having the 6.2 allows me to do all my own Oil and Filter changes easily and no worry about water in the fuel or Turbo issues. Only issue I've had is with the Evap on the AC, while I at the dealer Thursday I overhead a guy with a new Diesel with 5000 miles on it in the waiting area with a Turbo failure. He was not happy... I was happy I had the 6.2. Not saying it can't have issues also but it is a good ol big block naturually aspirated engine of fairly simple design.

All that said when I win the lottery and get a Dually F450 it'll be a Diesel but I'll also be able to afford a new engine if it blows up.

As for 4X4... I looked at it as better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Kinda like Dual AC's when ordering a camper and I'm very happy I got it with 2 and I have been happy I got the 4WD as it also allows us to go off-road when we get to destinations. First 4X4 for me so was a splurge.

If you get a 2016 F250 which I'm sure will be deeply discounted with the new 2017's coming out I would recommend Air Bags to keep the tail from dragging. Definetly worth the $250.

Good luck with your decision.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #22

I had a f350 2 wheel drive and it was a dually and even at that I got stuck several times just pulling in my driveway with very little snow on the ground. When I got my truck I have now I wanted 4wd and haven't been sorry. # weeks ago I was at a campground where I got parked in the owners yard due to my site being taken upon arrival in a pouring rain. I would have never got backed in had I not had 4 wd and 2 days later when I went to pull out with the camper tires sunk in wet grass I had to use 4wd to get rolling and get out. My fuel economy is about the same with the new as it was the old and other than the extra weight of the front axle your hauling around I would do the same all over again in a heartbeat
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #23

Guess I'm in the minority on this one but I live where the is little snow. I have never gotten stuck with the 250SD SRW, I opted for diesel as the primary use is towing the camper, I have another gas p/u for daily use. I don't think you can find many camps sites that do not have a 4x4 TV that would be willing to help if needed. It's camping, helping when some one needs a hand. I carry a tow chain just in case. The chain has been used to help other needing a little extra power.
Best trade in value is keep what ever you buy clean & serviced.
JMHO
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #24

4X4 "Diesel" is my choice. The new Ram 2500 which I have (Cummins 6.7) also has:

•Segment-exclusive front axle disconnect system now on Ram 2500

Diesels compared to gas engines are "apples & oranges" where mileage & power is concerned and with the 2015 Ram 2500 my front axle is totally disengaged when in 2WD giving me the best of all worlds, mileage, power and being able to have 4WD in situations where needed. That said the newer diesels are even much more efficient. I've owned 2 Ram trucks with Cummins and would never consider going to a gasser for towing an RV given the power and fuel efficiency of the diesel and of course the 4X4. Everyone has their choice and opinion which makes for interesting discussions.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #25

I've had both, and my preference is 4x4. I've needed it a couple of times this year, primarily on wet grass or fairly steep gravel roads. In both cases I probably could have made it out with some maneuvering, but my preference is not to chew roads up with spinning tires
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #26
Site Team

Still dreaming of this one

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TV - Dreamer.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #27

You don't need a 4x4... until you do need a 4x4.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
I went 4X4 and the 6.2 Gas, have been very happy after 37,000 miles put on it in 1 Yr. Having the 6.2 allows me to do all my own Oil and Filter changes easily and no worry about water in the fuel or Turbo issues. Only issue I've had is with the Evap on the AC, while I at the dealer Thursday I overhead a guy with a new Diesel with 5000 miles on it in the waiting area with a Turbo failure. He was not happy... I was happy I had the 6.2. Not saying it can't have issues also but it is a good ol big block naturually aspirated engine of fairly simple design.

Not trying to spur a negative debate or take this off the OP's topic; but I just had to chime in on your comment about a gasser vs. a diesel after reading your post. The fact that you overheard a guy in the service area with 5000 miles and a turbo failure doesn't speak for the majority (diesel or gas) with severe failures of major components. My thought was you've never actually owned a diesel and have come to the conclusion they are problematic?? Suggest you do a research on diesel (Cummins) vs gas..."can't speak for other diesel brands"... I responded because I speak from my experience with a "Cummins" diesel. I've had 2 Ram trucks with Cummins, one with the 5.9 and my new one with the 6.7. Both with turbos and never an issue, and I easily change my own filters (oil and fuel). Also never had water in fuel...besides they have water separators with a manual drain. An in cab warning would tell you if you have water in the separator and you can simply reach in and open the small valve wheel and it drains with no problems. As I said I've never had that problem with either of my trucks. Diesels have a much better track record than most gassers and of course longevity. I can't speak for Ford or GM diesels which I've never owned or plan to and may have those specific problems; but the Cummins (which is my preference) and I can attest to is a Gem of an engine and the 2 I've had are easily serviced when needed. I agree we're all entitled to our opinions and in some instances knowing the actual facts take precedence.
By the way, I love passing "Gas"!
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
The one thing people on here have yet to mention is the worse mileage you get with 4x4. even when not using it you pay at 3-4 mpg penalty.. I have needed the 4x4 Once in 20 years of RVing.. the extra cost in buying a 4x4 and the mileage penalty over the years would easily have paid for the tow..

Sorry to have to disagree but I believe you're misinformed about this one. I am getting the same mileage as my brother-in-law gets with his 2WD... same year and engine/axle ratio, etc. The difference we see sometimes has him getting .2 mpg better, and sometimes me getting .2 mpg better..... And, I get about the same non-towing mileage as my '11 F-150 with 5.0 V-8, until I hitch up to tow. At that point, instead of 8.5 to 9.5 mpg I get 12.5 to 14 mpg.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Not trying to spur a negative debate or take this off the OP's topic; but I just had to chime in on your comment about a gasser vs. a diesel after reading your post. The fact that you overheard a guy in the service area with 5000 miles and a turbo failure doesn't speak for the majority (diesel or gas) with severe failures of major components. My thought was you've never actually owned a diesel and have come to the conclusion they are problematic?? Suggest you do a research on diesel (Cummins) vs gas..."can't speak for other diesel brands"... I responded because I speak from my experience with a "Cummins" diesel. I've had 2 Ram trucks with Cummins, one with the 5.9 and my new one with the 6.7. Both with turbos and never an issue, and I easily change my own filters (oil and fuel). Also never had water in fuel...besides they have water separators with a manual drain. An in cab warning would tell you if you have water in the separator and you can simply reach in and open the small valve wheel and it drains with no problems. As I said I've never had that problem with either of my trucks. Diesels have a much better track record than most gassers and of course longevity. I can't speak for Ford or GM diesels which I've never owned or plan to and may have those specific problems; but the Cummins (which is my preference) and I can attest to is a Gem of an engine and the 2 I've had are easily serviced when needed. I agree we're all entitled to our opinions and in some instances knowing the actual facts take precedence.
By the way, I love passing "Gas"!
No offense taken... I have been around Diesels for many years, mainly Caterpillar Marine (Big 3412's) and Cummins Marine (Shrimp Boats) and 7.3 Internationals Pre and Post Turbo in the 90's F350's (we used to pump fuel off the Shrimp Boats to run in the 7.3's... ya we weren't supposed to).

Im a Ford guy so was more talking about the issues I researched about with the modern Power Strokes. As I mentioned any engine can have troubles I just opted for less moving parts at this time.

As for the Dodge and the Cummins... If I would have decided I could have afforded a Diesel at this time it was on the top of my list. They have a rock solid reputation and I know a few people with them and the chassis are definitely heavy duty. This summer I rode in a friends HD 2500 Mega Cab... I was jealous I will admit .. even coming from a Ford guy.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #31

Well I bought a used 2011 f250 with the 6.7 and 93000 miles on it and I love it. I had a 95 f350 with the 7.3 and the new one is so quiet and powerful that you can actually go to a drive thru with it. New technology and epa regulations have made for some amount of issues with the new but I will take it with the good that comes with it
Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #32

In my own personal case, we used to do mostly boondocking with the toy hauler. So the tow vehicle needed to be a 4X4, because our camping sites were typically unimproved and often sandy and loose gravel. Pulling a 10,000 lb loaded toy hauler through that won't work with a 2WD. If you plan on doing any boondocking, or even for the reasons some have mentioned regarding getting into or out of muddy, sandy, or snowy campsites, even in an improved campground, it could very well be the difference between success and failure.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #33

Don't use 4x4 very often but I'm glad it's there when I need it.
don648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #34

My first fifth wheel tow vehicle was "capable". It was an 02 F250 gas V10 2wd super cab short bed. Things that I discovered with that buggy was a V10 is nice, but loud when the RPMs kick in to keep it moving. Its' 2wd did in fact get a work out (ripping up lots of grass) as I generally park sideways on a wet grassy inclined area and need to make a 270 degree turn to get out. My two large doggies were very crowded in the SC, still somewhat cramped with a CC. And my bed space was very limited with the short bed; plus it required a sliding hitch. All of these problems were resolved with my newer TV (details provided below).

Yeah I spent more money than I wanted, but life is easier now. And it's only money that I'm taking away from my benefactors/ inheritors.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Still dreaming of this one

Don

Me too!

(Even though it's "just" a rear wheel drive). [emoji12]

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 AM   #36

I love my 4x4 and even thought I don't use it much I have it, I made the mistake on getting a 4x2 and regret it because I needed it, but a person have to go with their heart.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #37

As others have mentioned, it's better to have 4x4 and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

At this point, I doubt I'd ever consider a truck that didn't have 4x4.

As for diesel question, I have a gasser, a 3.7 Ecoboost. I pull mostly smaller TT's and it is all I currently need. With the turbos, I'll not suffer in high altitudes like a naturally aspirated engine. I do agree, what I'll miss with my engine as opposed to a diesel is the exhaust brake function going down hill, or even the engine braking afforded with a big block gasser.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #38

4 x 4 when needed, 4 x 2 most of the time

Something not mentioned, I have 4 x 4, but most of the time I run in 4 x 2, I have a GMC 2500 HD with the diesel. My truck is 7 years old and I get 12 mpg towing my 5th. On the open highway without the trailer with just my wife and I in the truck I get up to 28 mpg. If you got a truck that was full time 4 x 4, then yes mileage can suffer. I use the tow haul mode when towing and when going down hill or along a flat area, I turn off the tow/haul mode and let the transmission find the best gear for towing. If you tow in the mountains, you will loose 20% of power on a gas engine for every 1000 feet you go up and that is accumulative. Hope this helps

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #39

4x4

Having had both 2WD & 4WD- needed the 4W is summer- glad I had it.
Our Jayco 5er only has a loaded tongue weight of 1880 and could have went with the Chevrolet 2500 HD gas or diesel. The $8000.00 price tag for the diesel and the 100,000 plus mileage to break even- went to gas. Just returned from trip to the Ark in Kentucky, went over Smokey Mtn. at 50 miles per hour just a tad over 3000 rpm= mileage up 9.6, mileage back 9.7. Love this truck ! Glad I decided on the 6.0 gas 4:10
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #40

I wont buy a vehicle without awd or 4 wheel drive anymore. My Tow vehicle is 4x4, my wife drives mostly the TBSS and its awd and my daily driver, a Chrysler 200 is awd. Its like my Glock, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote